COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TRIBES
Neran Master Thread

So guys, thoughts on the Neran?

9/14/2018 9:57:05 PM #1

9/14/2018 11:49:31 PM #2

Posted By Sylvae at 10:57 PM - Fri Sep 14 2018

I agree, Neran will be perfectly suitable for pretty much most playstyles, especially adventurers

9/14/2018 11:53:17 PM #3

I think they would a field advantage with the plains bio for farming and access to stone. They may have the most safe towns in the early game

Count of Toxai

9/14/2018 11:54:55 PM #4

Only to rival Hrothi on personal protection of resources.

Count of Toxai

9/15/2018 1:32:26 AM #5

Joking aside.. I like the aesthetic so far. For me, everything comes down to the look and feel of the tribe. The culture. Art, architecture, society, etc. I was sold on, and want to play, a quasi-medieval game. And that's what I'm going to play.

I feel that none of the buffs or debuffs are going to be serious enough to really limit most game play. A janoa is not going to suck at diplomacy due to the tribal attributes, likewise a neran is not going to suck at being a hunter. Yes. even compared to a Janoa player. Nothing so far has said that a Neran can't build into a mountain. Players are going to play these tribes and take advantage of strategy they can figure out for themselves. I feel these buffs and sometimes environmental debuffs will absolutely not be game breaking. While they may limit some pursuits, (example being you want to be brudvir but living in the desert. It will be a challenge but not impossible).

So why not go for aesthetics? Not going to min/max this game. That's fun for others but not for me. I'm not looking to the the best, and I'm willing to work extra hard if ever there comes a time when I want to excel above others at whatever thing. From what I've read, player ability will be pretty important and it will take real life years to reach mechanical mastery.

The only other tribe I could play maybe could be Brudvir? But I'm honest with myself. I'd not have fun...I simply don't like any other tribe. at all. I know what I like and I tend to play the same archetypes over and over, through the years and many different games. That's not to say I feel my way is better or worse than someone else's. But I'd be totally miserable playing another, more exotic tribe.

For those who say Neran is 'boring', well... it's what you make of it, I guess. Mechanics and tribal attributes don't define nor limit your Elyrian life, nor prevent you from doing almost anything important. Thank the gods I'm not a noble with a chance to have a diminished choice.

9/15/2018 2:48:47 AM #6

I agree with literally every word Sylvae just wrote. Perhaps it's because that was her 222nd post.

I'm playing Neran, even if I have to migrate a family from the other end of the continent.

9/15/2018 2:49:56 AM #7

I'm content being generic and boring!

9/15/2018 3:39:58 AM #8

Meh, I've always preferred to be something a little different, plus it's hard to argue against full disease immunity (searing plague aside), hefty poison and toxin resistance, and the ability to eat and drink contaminated and spoiled food and water with no ill effects. Having strong will and focus is just a bonus on top of that.

We just have to stay out of the sun. (I wonder if clothes can help with that, though)

Edit, on the neran, I find them to be pretty meh, overall. Nothing really stands out to me, good or bad.

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

9/15/2018 9:49:59 AM #9

People are underestimating the Neran metawise they will IMHO be the strongest due to there shear adaptability that learn new skills bonus will be huge in the long run, gives Kingdoms the ability to adapt and change much more quickly and be far more responsive in changes to the situations they are in.

9/15/2018 10:06:42 AM #10

Long live the Neran tribe!

9/15/2018 11:14:05 AM #11

I plan on picking a more focused tribe, but the Nerans look strong, because they can master skills early in a game where everyone ages, field a diverse array of units without any suboptimal weapon choices, and have more combat skills among their crafters. Once mounted combat gets added, they'll likely have great cavalry due to their biome too; it's basically Rohan.

9/15/2018 2:42:50 PM #12

Posted By Maulvorn at 7:49 PM - Sat Sep 15 2018

People are underestimating the Neran metawise they will IMHO be the strongest due to there shear adaptability that learn new skills bonus will be huge in the long run, gives Kingdoms the ability to adapt and change much more quickly and be far more responsive in changes to the situations they are in.

While it's somewhat cool, it's only up to the 2nd/3rd step, whatever it's called again. I can't see people changing all that much either. Well pass the first 3-6 months and finding whatever they like.

Outside maybe the few, that for whatever reason want to mix it up maybe. I just be picking whichever profession I find the most fun and rolling with it. But then I'm pretty simple in that way. Can play one thing forever without getting bored. Besides would love to get to legendary drools over being some jack of all trades.

The best thing imo going for Neran. Their human look, how their settlements look. It's all so normal. People after a more medieval tribe and not something more high fantasy, going to be perfect for that. While their biome, of not being a harder start is another plus. One reason why I believe it will be the most played tribe.

9/15/2018 6:45:49 PM #13

Posted By Gunnlang at 3:42 PM - Sat Sep 15 2018

While it's somewhat cool, it's only up to the 2nd/3rd step, whatever it's called again. I can't see people changing all that much either. Well pass the first 3-6 months and finding whatever they like.

Outside maybe the few, that for whatever reason want to mix it up maybe. I just be picking whichever profession I find the most fun and rolling with it. But then I'm pretty simple in that way. Can play one thing forever without getting bored. Besides would love to get to legendary drools over being some jack of all trades.

The best thing imo going for Neran. Their human look, how their settlements look. It's all so normal. People after a more medieval tribe and not something more high fantasy, going to be perfect for that. While their biome, of not being a harder start is another plus. One reason why I believe it will be the most played tribe.

less then 10% will master a trade, even fewer will be grand masters or legendary.

Most will hover around the 3rd or 4th tier for a long time.

You'll find that would be a very overlooked ability imo

9/15/2018 7:25:02 PM #14

Posted By Maulvorn at 10:45 AM - Sat Sep 15 2018

Posted By Gunnlang at 3:42 PM - Sat Sep 15 2018

less then 10% will master a trade, even fewer will be grand masters or legendary.

Not quite, according to the dev journal 8 the spread will be like follows

Proficiency of skill

Novice (0% - 29%)

Apprentice (30% - 39%)

Journeyman (40% - 49%)

Expert (50% - 59%)

Artisan (60% - 69%)

Renowned (70% - 79%)

Master (80% - 89%)

Grandmaster (90% - 99%)

Legendary (100%)

The percentage mastery reflects how proficient you are with a specific skill but also inversely reflects the percentage of people who will attain a specific skill tier. In other words, based on the amount of time it takes to level a skill, you can expect distribution of mastery across a server to look like the following:

Novice: 100% of all people can achieve Novice in any given skill

Apprentice: 70% of all people are likely to achieve apprentice in a skill

Journeyman: 60% of all people will achieve journeyman

Expert: 50% of all people will achieve Expert

Artisan: 40% of all people will be Artisans

Renowned: 30% of all people will achieve Renowned

Master: 20% of all people will achieve Master

Grandmaster: 10% of all people will achieve Grandmaster

Legendary : Approx. 1% will achieve Legendary

So yes while making legendary and grandmaster will take life times, making it to expert can happen in one life time.

Also I do believe the Neran skill buff will only last through the Apprentice stage. The skill is worded that they will receive a buff in learning skills that they do not already know and as a journeyman you would be competent enough to work independently at least on basic matters. That is just my take on it however.

9/16/2018 2:48:52 AM #15

Posted By Maulvorn at 04:45 AM - Sun Sep 16 2018

While I be one reaching for the stars. You seem to come across as "well it be hard to do, so give up now and become an average player". As Fredbob99705 pointed out, it's only to last for Apprentice. So while it's somewhat nice. If really only for people that want 5+ skills or that change every few months or I suppose want to try everything. But I still can't see that lasting long term.