COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
One guild to rull them all

Hi all,

Would there be a possible setup of family/school/guild that could create the following scenario? I and several friends are interested in different spheres of the crafting world. We want to work together and mix our knowledge and power in several branches in order to build a solid community of craftsmen, thus taking several decisions that might impact a lot of different aspect of the game.

Should we build one guild for every type of craftsmanship and that every leader of those peculiar guilds is also a member of the other guilds?

Should we build a family of the master craftsman who all own a certain guild?

Thanks for your input!

4/1/2018 4:54:22 PM #1

I think it varies on how specific you want your guild.

The chances of kingdom and duchy (or really even county) wide guilds is likely to bear little fruit - my advice would be to set up a multi-discipline 'crafter's guild' and find a town/county that would support that sort of thing and have at it.

I say this on the basis that I doubt every settlement will have a need for every trade guild (as in most fantasy). Given population numbers I don't see the population to support more than a few guilds per county - so if your guild can represent a greater number of professions (and have masters to teach that) you're more likely to find sucess than five seperate guilds all focusing on different things.

Coming Soon(tm)

4/1/2018 7:01:46 PM #2

Hey @Chipla,

Thanks for your answer. To be honest, I don't plan on organizing the gild too early since most of the large guild who started to do that seems dead by now. So I haven't prepared myself to be associated with any peculiar kingdom, duchy, county, etc.

The point of the guild would be to be a decentralized economical guild who would associate itself with many kingdoms by providing them with several tools to properly manage their territories. Think of it a bit like Amazon, but for large-scale transactions. My friends and I are kind of avid players of sandbox MMO and also in the financial software industry.

So we wouldn't necessarily be completely decentralized since we will need some place to be established, but the point would be to serve many locations with resources that might be more difficult to acquire there.

The point of having a deep architecture for our guild would be to provide a single symbol for this trading titan but also gives every guild leader (inside of this organization) a feeling of fairness and freedom to rule their own guild production by also having a constant demand for their product (managed by the organisation).

Does that make sense? Do you know of a proper setup for us to use to build such an organization?

Thanks again!

10/12/2018 11:42:30 AM #3

Posted By Nate Delarue at 3:01 PM - Sun Apr 01 2018

Hey @Chipla,

Thanks for your answer. To be honest, I don't plan on organizing the gild too early since most of the large guild who started to do that seems dead by now. So I haven't prepared myself to be associated with any peculiar kingdom, duchy, county, etc.

The point of the guild would be to be a decentralized economical guild who would associate itself with many kingdoms by providing them with several tools to properly manage their territories. Think of it a bit like Amazon, but for large-scale transactions. My friends and I are kind of avid players of sandbox MMO and also in the financial software industry.

So we wouldn't necessarily be completely decentralized since we will need some place to be established, but the point would be to serve many locations with resources that might be more difficult to acquire there.

The point of having a deep architecture for our guild would be to provide a single symbol for this trading titan but also gives every guild leader (inside of this organization) a feeling of fairness and freedom to rule their own guild production by also having a constant demand for their product (managed by the organisation).

Does that make sense? Do you know of a proper setup for us to use to build such an organization?

Thanks again!

I plan on being a horse breeder myself.

I planned on sort of doing the same thing. At least in regards to setting up a multi- craft hub. I planned on hopefully placing such a place between two cities. Sort of a rest stop so to speak.

Orm Trakehner - Horse Breeder - Kingdom of Vornair: Friend Code 5422AC

10/12/2018 2:11:46 PM #4

So, I believe you want to form an “organization” which has a mechanism in place, and you will be able to have contracted set of rules and such.

Quoted from the Soul Chamber

GUILDS: Despite the same word being used, Guilds work differently in Chronicles of Elyria than in most MMOs and instead function more like guilds on Earth. Where in most MMOs they tend to recruit members with a variety of classes and crafting abilities with which to outfit the group for raids, Guilds in CoE tend to be about crafting goods or services, specializing in one or more trade skills, crafts, or professions - such as Smithing Guilds. Their org structure works similar to businesses on Earth, with employees and owners.

Revenue for an organization comes entirely from its members, with most organizations allowing its employees to keep a percentage of profits and depositing the rest into a central lockbox. Organizations rarely receive money from government, and, more often than not, must pay income taxes. Unlike schools, there is only so much business to be done in a single location and the most successful organizations will find increased wealth from setting up franchises or satellite locations all across their kingdom.

Join the County of Vetivier, and the town of Perisai Besi, in the Duchy of Rhyddid, Kingdom of Alésia.~~Chaos cannot Prevail! Home of The Thorn Institute for War! Help build a legacy worthy of legends!! Discord
Friend Code: AA2858

10/12/2018 6:28:05 PM #5

It might be possible for you to set up an association as the administrative head for several guilds. This would be similar to how it works in reality where a corporation have separate departments for individual product categories.

I suggest it because it might be a cleaner solution as you won't lock guild members down in each and every skill (the one guild per skill limit). This will also be particularly important if a guild can become insolvent, then you rather want to only risk losing that one "department" that is performing poorly, rather than an entire large guild. A single multi-skill guild will also force your guild to be bloated in each branch as you're expected to provide crafting stations to practice such crafts (your members can't pick any other option after all) even if it doesn't make economical sense in one area.

10/15/2018 5:40:27 PM #6

It think it would be easiest to have crafting guilds not separated by craft, but location. These would then be managed by a centrally(by location) based guild who's job is to micro and macro manage the other guilds.

The reasons for this are many, but the most important thing is efficiency. This game allowed for extremely narrow specializations in crafting, down to quantity vs quality and a specific weapon or armor type(like a quantity oriented sword smith to quickly outfit armies, or a wood worker who crafts the strongest recurve bows in the kingdom).

If you don't HEAVILY manage these options you are going to end up with supply and demand issues, like having a small town with 3 of the same specialized weapon crafter, or a 60 mile area of towns and hamlet that have no access to someone who can repair high quality mail armor.

To avoid this, the central management guild would then oversee the creation and management of location based guilds who would have their members distributed and placed strategically to allow everyone to maximize their abilities and skills for the best profits and benefits to the settlements they are supporting.

People who are extremely active and available would be placed in guilds working in the busiest and highest demand areas, where as craftsman who are only on a few hours every few days would take up areas where the demand would match their activity. All of this while keeping in mind what areas need what suppliers to avoid overlap whenever possible.

For bonus points, the overhead guild could also take up the responsibility of running transportation services between locations, as trade between locations at some scale would be necessary for supplying crafting components, as well as fulfilling demand where it cannot be met on site(like a sudden population growth, or a new settlement popping up in an area that does not yet have a dedicated crafting guild).

10/15/2018 6:03:21 PM #7

As far as I can tell a 'central management guild' as suggested above would be a superfluous alternative for the appointed people or board responsible for trade in 'town' or 'county' management. Civic rule is responsible for overseeing the balance between supply and demand in their area of jurisdiction. It shouldn't require a separate 'high level guild' to be able to manage that. Rather appoint a 'Deputy/Delegate/Minister of Trade' in the council ruling a place/realm.

10/15/2018 6:09:04 PM #8

Posted By AlteOgre at 1:03 PM - Mon Oct 15 2018

As far as I can tell a 'central management guild' as suggested above would be a superfluous alternative for the appointed people or board responsible for trade in 'town' or 'county' management. Civic rule is responsible for overseeing the balance between supply and demand in their area of jurisdiction. It shouldn't require a separate 'high level guild' to be able to manage that. Rather appoint a 'Deputy/Delegate/Minister of Trade' in the council ruling a place/realm.

This is assuming that the interest of the governing ruler is what the guild is hoping to benefit the most. If you're looking for a real world example of the disconnect between economic rule and governmental rule in real life you can simply look to the Federal Reserve. They often serve parallel means, but ultimately they are completely separate entities and serve their own interests.

A collection of guilds of this magnitude would not want to be under direct power of a political party, it would want to work alongside them.

10/15/2018 6:12:22 PM #9

Ah, American. :)

Please consider we're dealing with a feudo-vassalist society here. Instead of political parties there are aristocratic families and guilds who play the cards.

10/15/2018 6:23:39 PM #10

Posted By AlteOgre at 1:12 PM - Mon Oct 15 2018

Ah, American. :)

Please consider we're dealing with a feudo-vassalist society here. Instead of political parties there are aristocratic families and guilds who play the cards.

While I completely understand and in some aspects agree with what you're saying, I believe you are underestimating the ability for the players in ruling positions to let their real life bleed into the game. Not everyone in power is going to be playing their characters role to the same extent, or even at all in some cases.

I think that for the first year the game will largely hold to it's theme and intended operation, but it will slowly mold towards the tendencies and biases of the player base.

I may be wrong, or just cynical, but I've seen it happen to every game with an MMO-like community. I don't see this one being immune to these effects.