COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Reserved surname and no heir?

So I finally got to reserve my surname today. Wonderful choice and got approved within 15 minutes.

However, this gets me thinking.

If my character dies and I have no heir, I can make a new character with the reserved surname right? Is this a lifelong thing or only for the first character?

Will that new character be related directly to the now deceased character or is it considered a distant cousin or something?

And finally, what happens to your property if you have no heir and create a new character with the surname? Does that new character Inherit?

3/27/2018 10:51:02 PM #1

I'm pretty sure that if all holders of a certain surname dies, so does the surname. The lineage is no more.

Of course, you may have a situation in which a surname is lost due to marriage, but the family still has ownership of the properties.

If the entire family of characters die, regardless of by marriage or by surname, ?I'd imagine the property AND the surname are no longer yours.

3/27/2018 10:58:03 PM #2

That would really suck as far as the surname goes. Guess I need to make lots of babies lol can get random players to join the family

3/27/2018 11:14:32 PM #3

I could be wrong but I believe this was asked just a little while back in discord. Best I can give for a source is a very awesome Mod post. Source

Caspian: No. If every single member of your family dies, and there are no remaining members of your dynasty, you can simply create a new character and assume the surname again.

As for the relationship no idea.

3/28/2018 1:58:39 PM #4

Malais you rock, thank you. That was honestly my biggest concern. Why spend the money specifically for a custom surname if you are going to lose it so easily lol.

3/28/2018 2:03:39 PM #5

Posted By Zakier at 08:58 AM - Wed Mar 28 2018

Malais you rock, thank you. That was honestly my biggest concern. Why spend the money specifically for a custom surname if you are going to lose it so easily lol.

Counties and duchies and kingdoms cost a lot more and you lose them the same way... lol.

3/28/2018 6:24:45 PM #6

@Zakier no problem real thanks goes to Xeyska for pulling the original quote since I rarely frequent discord these days.

@Dekul true titles and lands can be lost but they can also be regained through work or general gameplay. A surname can be earned via actions but I doubt there will be a way to earn (or recreate) a custom surname like Malais. That is unless they give out prizes for the best sickly Dras...

🤡

4/14/2018 5:35:02 AM #7

I can imagine that turning the 1st month of Exposition into a massive dating reality show to make sure they preserve their lineage lol

8/24/2018 6:40:45 PM #8

Posted By Nomad of Endings at 10:35 PM - Fri Apr 13 2018

I can imagine that turning the 1st month of Exposition into a massive dating reality show to make sure they preserve their lineage lol

I think it's funny to watch all the nobility run around with their heads cut off, learning how to manage people, manage a city, manage their families, and walking around trying not to look sketch or give away their plans. I HAVE POWER! Wait.. but people want to take it! But I want to play this game... but the POWER! I just picture Rasputin from Anastasia as all the nobility. The nobility will probably be paranoid and court in secret or through connections -- just like real life :D

Kypiq proprietor - Weaver/Tailor/Designer - Broad Leaf Forest

9/25/2018 8:51:08 AM #9

You can still use the surname if you have no heirs. Here is the Q&A with a time marker. Slightly before this time marker they mention that if you don't use the surname then that character won't be tied to the family, which would be convenient for those who are up to no good.

https://youtu.be/cg33Vnc5G_U?t=40m37s

Sorry I don't know how to create links

9/25/2018 9:59:24 AM #10

Posted By Nomad of Endings at 01:35 AM - Sat Apr 14 2018

^This. I would've liked to see this! :D

9/25/2018 2:29:35 PM #11

Posted By Malais at 10:14 AM - Wed Mar 28 2018

I could be wrong but I believe this was asked just a little while back in discord. Best I can give for a source is a very awesome Mod post. Source

Caspian: No. If every single member of your family dies, and there are no remaining members of your dynasty, you can simply create a new character and assume the surname again.

That's incredibly important info that makes surnames much more worth it. Hopefully SBS can add something to that.