COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
unlimited?

I have discovered COE about 3/4 years ago and ever since I have been fascinated by the game and its vision. Lately I have been reading all the articles again and talked it over with some friends. Almost all discussions where about one question: does the soulbound engine really allow unlimited possibilties? For example: If there is a University in the game (or just a place where they try to discover and develop stuff). Is it possible for the players to create something that the developers did not intend them to build? Or formulated differently: Is the game code restricting the players or is the game code learning and adapting, so that they players dont feel restricted at all?

This questions works for other parts of society or even the natural world aswell. If a settlement overhuntes or overuses all the ressources around it, they would have to move to another settlement. This will resolve in a shortage of food in the second settlement which will resolve in another migration. Is it possible to ruin the whole world or are there mechanisms to stop that from happenig?

You can ask so many more questions that will all come together to one point: How much freedom will the game really give us and is it possible to create new things that where never even intented to be in the game?

I really look forward to play the game and I already enjoy the new challenges this game will give us for the first time in a mmo. Thank you so much :)

2/28/2018 10:26:06 AM #1

You can wipe out resources, yes. The world is really big through so ruining the whole thing seems unlikely.

As for researching, we invest time in research and that points the devs in the direction of what to add to the game. The game itself won't be creating items for you to discover from scratch. So anything you end up discovering will have been put there intentionally by the devs.

2/28/2018 2:36:17 PM #2

Posted By StrangerGlint at

does the soulbound engine really allow unlimited possibilties?

Not unlimited, not unless SBS is creating self-modifying code and I don't think that's happening.

Is it possible to ruin the whole world or are there mechanisms to stop that from happenig?

Possible, yes, but very difficult. This is one of the things Snipehunter has talked about a number of times within the context of UO and a similar system they created. He has said they want to prevent the same kind of outcome from unfolding in which players in a relatively short amount of time wrecked entire ecosystems. So translation: expect this to not be easy to achieve.