COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Archery

How is the Archery mechanics going to be cause I see everyone talking about of the sword fighting is going to be but what I want to know how the Archery is going to be like?

9/6/2018 2:17:12 AM #16

if its pure skill for archery we will see the true in game snipers {just imagine war in chronicles of Elyria and arrows fill the sky} what would that equal I think perma or knock out.

Brudvier power hail the pack

9/6/2018 3:04:40 AM #17

Lars Andersen is a skilled fake. Andersen Debunked

11/9/2018 12:09:55 PM #18

Hi Folks

Can anyone offer some summarised facts on archery, that have already been highlighted by the devs in podcasts or posts?

I typically like playing ranged type characters, so details on bows (long or crossbows) and archery skills is highly desirable.

EDIT my bad - I started reading this thread on page 2, so missed earlier posts. Seems for now, there's very little details on archery........

Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe.

"I'm sorry did my sword just decapitate you; Oh well, I'll just help myself to your corpse gear and also harvest your tears!"

11/9/2018 1:13:39 PM #19

FWIW, we should be getting a combat design journal soon-ish. It's been mentioned a number of times. We'll learn a lot more about combat once they do, but until then, details are sparse.

11/12/2018 1:03:52 AM #20

Fingers crossed haaarrrd that an unlockable technology for those savvy enough be the repeating crossbow like the ancient Chinese had.

11/12/2018 11:23:57 AM #21

Archery style like kingdom come deliverance would work well I think. its hard but accomplish-able and if it was only for an incapacitation where another killing shot would need to be made to CDG then it would offer some balance.

1/12/2019 10:08:34 PM #22

Well for me I would like to have Archery be my primary way of fighting including with close combat fighting I am hoping for an unique way of fighting with a Bow or at least create one.

1/12/2019 11:58:27 PM #23

I know my town will be focused on archery and I am very very much looking forward to it. I just hope that Archery is a wonderfully complex skill and vital part of combat in CoE as it has been throughout most of history.

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

1/13/2019 2:52:23 AM #24

Archery balance in a game where each life is valuable is gunna be difficult. After seeing Hand Crossbows in the recent TFQ Promo it had me wondering about the start of CoE. The dawn of our story seems to be getting more and more advanced with each content drop and I don't really like that, especially when basic balance has yet to be worked out.

Really dreading the day mounted archery gets confirmed. At some point, especially with a quickly progressing story line, you gotta wonder if the value of melee skills will get massively diminished.

1/13/2019 5:31:10 AM #25

Posted By Sagan at 12:52 PM - Sun Jan 13 2019

The dawn of our story seems to be getting more and more advanced with each content drop

An interesting point Sagan, and I have to agree. I definitely don't want our array of medieval technology to be so vast that we have nowhere to go with research but black powder, and other post-medieval tech. A lot of people don't even want to see things like black powder, steam engines and air machines in the game. Ever. So making these the next step forward because the base game already has just about everything else is not a great idea.

you gotta wonder if the value of melee skills will get massively diminished.

Not really possible, unless we get to the point where we have what are essentially WW1 era rifles. Which I hope we never, ever, ever get to even in 30 real life years.

The thing with archery is that it is only really a defensive/deterrent/harassment form of combat. Outside of few applications archery isn't going to do for you what swords and spears can.

Thin the numbers of the enemy as they charge you in pitched battle, harass the edges of the enemy lines with cavalry archers, or defend a position the enemy is trying to take. That's about it. When it comes down to the actual clash archers are either swapping to a secondary weapon or getting out of the way.

Even in Chivalry, which is super arcadey archery, as soon as an ally is even remotely near an enemy, your chance of hitting them is high. Archers are not going to be sniping enemies in the head over their allies shoulders, and if they are then we have failed in making archery play well.

Edit: And just so happens I came across this in my afternoon Youtubing.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.

1/14/2019 12:36:18 AM #26

I just hope it's realistic. None of this "holding a bow at full draw for thirty seconds without breaking a sweat while I have a conversation about a thing" thing.

That only works for compound bows.

1/14/2019 6:59:31 AM #27

Posted By SolaceOfShadow at 10:36 AM - Mon Jan 14 2019

I just hope it's realistic. None of this "holding a bow at full draw for thirty seconds without breaking a sweat while I have a conversation about a thing" thing.

That only works for compound bows.

Mount and Blade is a great reference point again here, as their system has your reticle converge quickly to its most accurate, then after a second or so it starts to fade apart. You have that moment to loose, or you need to redraw to get a decent shot. Perfect system imo, these conversations really do show how ahead of its time M&B was/is.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.

2/21/2019 12:05:35 AM #28

I think SBS is going to be as creative with the ranged weapons as they are with the Mele weapons. They have all the verity of bows and crossbows going back in history as well as some great fantasy weapons to choose from. I could see trade secrets between tribes in creating a long bow to a one hand crossbow.

3/29/2019 5:35:10 AM #29

As someone that plays a lot of archer characters, I hope we can get some details soon. I did notice the hand-crossbow that was on offer when I was looking back in the news articles. On one hand, I echo the sentiments of others in that I don't want to see to much "advanced" tech at start but on the other hand.. I want me that hand crossbow and hope it comes out of the vault!

8/6/2019 3:47:20 PM #30

If archery is anything like KC: Deliverence, I will be a master. ;)