COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Inheritance Question

So within this Blog. https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/10316/Down-the-rabbit-hole

Caspian goes on to discuss the matter of aging who inherits how the whole kaboom works.

My question is I have a son and he ages to the year of 52, let's say I have another son that is 15 and I put him as my Heir to all my belongings. Does the game still keep my first born son lock at the age of 52 until my perma-death, or since I put my heir on my 15-year-old son does he ages beyond 52?

I can't seem to find it on the blog So I decided to come here and ask. Thanks and much appreciated for the help!

1/22/2018 11:46:30 AM #1

no your first son will still age pass 52 it just that after the age 52 (so 53) you can no longer mke that son your heir. they lock the heirs after the age of 52 because the average life is 52 years long so no one will end up with a character over 104 years old

1/22/2018 1:00:15 PM #2

Characters never stop aging, so, like Azelreborn said, your son will continue to age past 52. Now, it's not that the character can no longer be used as an heir, but rather, it can no longer be used as an NTC. 52 is the limit to play a character, but that's it.

1/22/2018 2:29:57 PM #3

From down the rabbit hole, the DJ you linked, we learn that your actual heir is not selected before you die, when you die, your soul goes back to the Akashik records and you start the process of your reincarnation.

During that process you'll be able to see all the available characters, your potential heirs, any npc between the age of 15 and 52, of your family that is not already locked by an other player and for which you can afford the SP cost.

If none available, then you will not have the option to inherit your status and possessions. But all hope is not lost, if you have available family members but the problem is the SP cost, you can select them as partial heirs, you'll reincarnate into them but keep only part of your status and possessions, the part you can afford with your SP.

1/22/2018 2:47:37 PM #4

Posted By markof at 09:29 AM - Mon Jan 22 2018

From down the rabbit hole, the DJ you linked, we learn that your actual heir is not selected before you die, when you die, your soul goes back to the Akashik records and you start the process of your reincarnation.

During that process you'll be able to see all the available characters, your potential heirs, any npc between the age of 15 and 52, of your family that is not already locked by an other player and for which you can afford the SP cost.

If none available, then you will not have the option to inherit your status and possessions. But all hope is not lost, if you have available family members but the problem is the SP cost, you can select them as partial heirs, you'll reincarnate into them but keep only part of your status and possessions, the part you can afford with your SP.

I believe there is a point of correction here, at least from my reading of it. From the DJ (see quote below) you can select who your heir will be prior to death (who gets your stuff):

"Let's say you're the King and you're killed, but you made your younger brother, a Duke, the heir to the kingdom. He's an NPC which you have the NPC code for. A few weeks go by and someone kills him as well, but before that happens, your nephew (the son of your previous character) reaches the age of maturity and so is now old enough to take over the Kingdom. So you've made him your heir, and now you take over as your nephew."

However, it doesn't mean that you automatically can select them upon your death. You also need the Story Points to do so. It would actually be rather silly to not be able to state who you inheritance (i.e. heir) is going to before you die.

Alt text - can be left blank

1/22/2018 3:32:49 PM #5

Posted By Esoba at 3:47 PM - Mon Jan 22 2018

However, it doesn't mean that you automatically can select them upon your death. You also need the Story Points to do so. It would actually be rather silly to not be able to state who you inheritance (i.e. heir) is going to before you die.

The problem is that your is only available during the character creation process.

Sure enough Caspian mention them as backup heir, which would suggest that you still have an official heir, but ultimately your actual heir is selected by you when you reach the new screen at character creation so you might decide at the last minute to switch, therefore your heir is only really selected by you at character creation.

1/22/2018 3:54:21 PM #6

Posted By markof at 10:32 AM - Mon Jan 22 2018

Posted By Esoba at 3:47 PM - Mon Jan 22 2018

The problem is that your is only available during the character creation process.

Sure enough Caspian mention them as backup heir, which would suggest that you still have an official heir, but ultimately your actual heir is selected by you when you reach the new screen at character creation so you might decide at the last minute to switch, therefore your heir is only really selected by you at character creation.

I believe that we are ultimately saying the same thing, but that you're confounding some terms. Dynasty doesn't automatically equate to your "heir". Every heir will likely be from your dynasty, but not everyone from your dynasty is your selected heir prior to death. The screen from which you speak essentially means that you are selecting someone from your family. The order of operations Caspian laid out in the DJ is rather confusing but upon careful reading can be read as such: 1. You select brother as Heir, and you die. 2. You play as brother for a few weeks and get killed. 3. Prior to your death (as the brother) you selected your recently came of age nephew as heir. 4. You die and now select and play as nephew. From what we can see from the DJ you would have already laid your inheritance (see the verb tense in that part), in which case you aren't selecting your heir on that screen, but selecting the person you previously named as your heir. If you have the required SP, you can play as them. If not....yikes. Now, it is also true - from what I am reading - that if you haven't selected an heir, there is one that is in the natural line of succession. In which case you could select them from that screen you mention (and isn't already a played by another person).

Alt text - can be left blank

1/22/2018 4:06:38 PM #7

From what I can see, you're confusing your heir with your incarnation. Your heir is the character that you decide to leave all your possessions to when you die. That is done while your alive. When your soul leaves your body, however, and it comes time to choose a new character, you can choose the character that was your heir, but it won't change anything in that sense.

1/22/2018 4:49:24 PM #8

I am not confusing anything, your heir is the character you reincarnate to if it suits the rules of inheritance.

You can declare your heir while you are alive, but ultimately that heir is not your actual heir it is only your advertised or desired heir. That same advertised or primary heir will only become available to you if he reaches 15 before you die and if he does not age past 52 before you die, nothing in game will popup to tell you your primary heir is not available anymore.

When you will die and go to character creation screen, that's when you will actually select your heir, because now your primary heir which is not stored out of the world and time, might not be available.

But the DJ says that clear and easy anyway :

both are clearly indicating that the choice of the Heir is done at character creation. What i will concede is that i assume you can chose your heir even if you marked one while you were alive and as such you can change it at the last moment. That is assumed because if not why bother developing the screens for that selection.

1/22/2018 5:21:02 PM #9

It would make sense that you can select your heir during your "reincarnation" as waiting say 3 weeks for your second child to come of age just sounds silly and cruel.

If for any reason your first choice of heir is no longer available or you just change your mind. However it would make sense that this is restricted to you're family and doesn't allow you to drop in a complete stranger.

test

1/23/2018 7:01:37 AM #10

Okay Thank you, everybody, for the post and help me understand the whole situation. I learned a lot!!