COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse! or anything that i can ride.....

Elyria is a vast and rich world full of life, some of it we'll be able to ride or use to pull carts and wagons.

We know that there will be horses, trisons, ursaphant, otterbear and others.....

Others we have not yet heard about but that we know they will exist, biomes/tribes might have specific mounts and so i went searching for unusual mounts in our world and beyond.

Who need a horse when you can ride ....

• Buffalo

• Yak

• Water buffalo

• Crocodile

• Reindeer

• Zebra

• Camel

• Dromedary

• Elephant

• Ostrich

• Llama

• Dogs

• Hippopotamus

• Turkey

• Goat

• Mann

And so many more that i have not found but you might...... just keep in mind that all we do is theorycrafting, having fun and hoping a constructive brainstorm may be helping the studio.

Once we'll drag enough of odd mounts in here from our world, we'll open phase two and we'll start working on them to elyrianize them and see what our collective minds can produce, sure we have enough raw untamed imagination to not rely on existing fantasy mounts, lets get to the task dreamers !

12/22/2017 11:24:41 PM #1

Well we know the to'resk have water buffalo that they train so I think that will be a to'resk mount. But I can't think of another wetland mount.

12/22/2017 11:38:59 PM #2

Don't forget, Otterbears are mounts as well!

Friend Code: B8ADDD

12/24/2017 12:01:30 PM #3

@ziggyspots Oh i have not :) but otterbears are one more northern temperate mount as are all the other mounts we have seen so far even the drias elk if we include it as a potential mount.

@MusaKn yes part of this thread reason is to devise some non northern temperate mounts. Some biomes are harder than others to come up with manageable ideas.

When i say manageable i mean we have to keep in mind that a new mount should fit the animations and equipment rules they already have in place.... to some extent.

For example, a giant frog might seem like a fitting choice for the swamp, but it would move by leaping, a whole new set of animations and problems to solve..... to expensive for a specific mount i'd say.

So with that line of thoughts any new mount should keep "walking" even in swamp or wet land, by walking i mean having "feet" on the ground, so in those biomes, under water.

for the wet land i thought about a mount that would be based on ostrich with some flamingo mixed in and for the swamp a mount based on giraffe. The next question would be do we seek two tiers of mount for each biome ?

12/24/2017 2:24:22 PM #4

The Reason horses IRL were most widely used was because of their workability and far more trainable then pretty much every mount listed in your thread.

They also have efficient breeding cycles unlike the elephant which takes over a year to give birth.

They also require less resources then the hippo (and safer to be around) and live in more environments from Scandinavia to Saudi Arabia.

12/24/2017 3:02:43 PM #5

I would be so happy if they included zebras!

~ Alyvs Trésdaum

12/24/2017 9:13:48 PM #6

Isn't that a pic of alpacas, not llamas?

12/26/2017 1:41:06 PM #7

Posted By Protey at 10:13 PM - Sun Dec 24 2017

Isn't that a pic of alpacas, not llamas?

I am no expert :) they could very well be alpacas as from the wikipedia page of the alpacas it seems they are really close to llamas.

Those and the Yak could be good mounts for the Hrothi as they are smaller than horses and adapted to high altitude and would need minimal to no Elyrianization.

for the Brudvir we could have drias elk and large dogs, the bulls/buffalos could be a generic beast of burden like the mule is, you'd only need to adapt the type of bull to the biome type.

camels could fit right in with the Waerd.

The biomes/tribes that are problematic are the tropical rain forest and the Kypiq, and to a lesser degree the wet land, swamp and semi arid desert.

The last ones are only slightly problematic as at least one mount has been found so part of the job is done, what's left is find the other one and decide which is tier 1 and which is tier 2.

The problem with the Kypiq is not their biome, but the Kypiq, as they leave in trees it would make sens that their mounts do too, so those mounts should be able to climb trees. For the tropical rain forest the problem is the biome, packed with flaura the rain forest seems not suited for mounts.

After some research i found that tropical forests are also home to bears, elephants, gorillas and bulls so they could perfectly be home to some sub species of ursaphant and trisons, tropical forest bears and bulls are black colored so the tropical forest ursaphant and trison could be black to to diferentiate them from their northern cousins. their tier one mount could be the Okapi.

So if summarize a potential mount catalog :

Tier 1

small
  • mule (all tribes except Kypiq)
  • llama/alpaca (Hrothi)
  • ostrich-flamingo mix (To'resk)
medium
  • horse (Neran) wild horses were animals of the steppe, you can find feral horses in marshes, semi-arid deserts and temperate forests, but those are feral which means they were brought there and released, not native, including feral horses would add Brudvir, Dras, Waerd and To'resk to their natural tribes, each with specific subspecies.
  • swamp giraffe (Dras)
  • okapi (Janoa)
  • drias elk (Brudvir)
  • camel (Waerd)
  • bull/buffalo (all tribes except Kypiq)
  • otterbear (Brudvir)

Tier 2

medium
  • courser horse (Neran, Waerd)
  • yak (Hrothi)
large
  • ursaphant (Neran {brown}, Brudvir {white}, Janoa {black})
  • trison (Neran {brown}, Brudvir {white}, Janoa {black})
  • hippopotamus (To'resk)

Which would mean that we need to find tier 1 and 2 for Kypiq and tier 2 for Dras