COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
agressive guild recruitment

Hi. I just want to say: I am kind of pissed off. Every other day there is someone asking me to join their kingdom. And I say: no.

I don't choose a town, duchy or kingdom based on whomever asked me. I want to choose my realm based on what family I am most interested in. And I really hate that.

This is not a game where you are meant to gang up like this. The game will not be out for 2 more years. So please cut it out. I bet half the guilds that exist now will not exist at launch. And I also bet that pretty much less than half of the dynasties in the world will last for more than a 1-2 lifetimes.

I want to go my own path. And I don't want this meta game ruin CoE.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate it.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

12/6/2017 12:53:51 AM #1

People are going to build communities. People are going to try and recruit as many people as possible to their communities. This game is going to be played with a huge amount of meta gaming.

Such is life. Especially such is life as a free agent.

P.S, wanna join my guild?

12/6/2017 1:03:46 AM #2

and still I love the fact SBS seams to try to limit meta as much as possible.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

12/6/2017 1:45:08 AM #3

Imo your recruitment strategy will reflect the bulk of your community- the type of people who will bite for it are the type of people you'll have, obviously. I've never been a fan of spam ads targeted at anyone-in-particular, and I would rather not be asked to rely on the randoms they pick up.

What really bothers me is the complete joke recruitment pitches that almost everyone seems to use. I would much rather join someone who declares a reasonable and believable guild/government philosophy than 90+% of the recruitment threads here that promise nothing but sunshine, rainbows, and no specifics on where the sunshine and rainbows will stem from.

If your recruitment strategy aims at the lowest common denominator, you'll get the lowest common denominator.

Not to mention that if it's such generic garbage that it becomes indistinguishable from the rest of the generic garbage that's out there, your recruitment will boil down to luck for which generic guild/government the random will pick.

12/6/2017 2:52:48 AM #4

Posted By Galliad at

Hi. I just want to say: I am kind of pissed off. Every other day there is someone asking me to join their kingdom. And I say: no.

I don't choose a town, duchy or kingdom based on whomever asked me. I want to choose my realm based on what family I am most interested in. And I really hate that.

This is not a game where you are meant to gang up like this. The game will not be out for 2 more years. So please cut it out. I bet half the guilds that exist now will not exist at launch. And I also bet that pretty much less than half of the dynasties in the world will last for more than a 1-2 lifetimes.

I want to go my own path. And I don't want this meta game ruin CoE.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate it.

I haven't personally suffered being asked to join different Kingdoms (I guess I'm just not that important/popular an Elyrian citizen yet) but I definitely agree with the guilds part: the guild I originally joined fizzled out and died not 4-5 months after the kickstarter finished. It's just hard to keep hype, and interest, especially when there's no concrete mechanics for guilds to organize themselves around yet!

12/6/2017 3:01:45 AM #5

Posted By Scheneighnay at 8:45 PM - Tue Dec 05 2017

Imo your recruitment strategy will reflect the bulk of your community- the type of people who will bite for it are the type of people you'll have, obviously. I've never been a fan of spam ads targeted at anyone-in-particular, and I would rather not be asked to rely on the randoms they pick up.

What really bothers me is the complete joke recruitment pitches that almost everyone seems to use. I would much rather join someone who declares a reasonable and believable guild/government philosophy than 90+% of the recruitment threads here that promise nothing but sunshine, rainbows, and no specifics on where the sunshine and rainbows will stem from.

If your recruitment strategy aims at the lowest common denominator, you'll get the lowest common denominator.

Not to mention that if it's such generic garbage that it becomes indistinguishable from the rest of the generic garbage that's out there, your recruitment will boil down to luck for which generic guild/government the random will pick.

your right, the joke threads do get annoying. i did ask about guilds in another thread and was directed to a list of some super bland recruitment pages. tbh, the best thing to do is to just wait for the game to come out, let all these guilds start forming, then let natural selection do what it does.

12/6/2017 3:15:21 AM #6

Posted By Morbis at 7:53 PM - Tue Dec 05 2017

People are going to build communities. People are going to try and recruit as many people as possible to their communities. This game is going to be played with a huge amount of meta gaming.

Such is life. Especially such is life as a free agent.

P.S, wanna join my guild?

Wow. You might as well of said " Deal With It " and made a laughing emoji. Speaks volumes.

12/6/2017 3:24:20 AM #7

Posted By contagion42 at 12/6/2017 3:01:45 AM

Posted By Scheneighnay at 8:45 PM - Tue Dec 05 2017

your right, the joke threads do get annoying. i did ask about guilds in another thread and was directed to a list of some super bland recruitment pages. tbh, the best thing to do is to just wait for the game to come out, let all these guilds start forming, then let natural selection do what it does.

Yeah, unless you plan on starting in a leadership position, I would recommend against joining anything now. Stay flexible.

As far as governments as well, this is of course somewhat hypocritical, but can you really trust someone whose only claim to power is how much they spent on the game and not how competent they actually are?

12/6/2017 3:34:20 AM #8

true. i feel bad for leaders though. i mean recruiting for a game that hasn't even come out yet. how are you supposed to know if someone is worth recruiting?

12/6/2017 3:38:56 AM #9

As obnoxious as it may be, it's something to do for many that keeps the interest relevant until the game launches. If you want to focus on your inner circle only then that should be viable enough, especially for those who plan to remain a citizen. SBS have to consider those who are MIA from the dance of dynasties anyway.

If you're troubled by it then perhaps you should put it in your signature that you're not interested in any domain/organization requests.

12/6/2017 3:51:09 AM #10

Posted By ShadowTani at 10:38 PM - Tue Dec 05 2017

As obnoxious as it may be, it's something to do for many that keeps the interest relevant until the game launches. If you want to focus on your inner circle only then that should be viable enough, especially for those who plan to remain a citizen. SBS have to consider those who are MIA from the dance of dynasties anyway.

If you're troubled by it then perhaps you should put it in your signature that you're not interested in any domain/organization requests.

eh, troubled is too strong of a word. i mean if it's making part of the community more into then it doesn't bother me. i also don't really care about getting them yet cause it's kinda cool to see different parts of the community (i might change my mind about that if i get a lot though)

12/6/2017 3:51:22 AM #11

Posted By contagion42 at 9:34 PM - Tue Dec 05 2017

true. i feel bad for leaders though. i mean recruiting for a game that hasn't even come out yet. how are you supposed to know if someone is worth recruiting?

That's why I don't recruit randoms as of right now.

12/6/2017 3:57:27 AM #12

Posted By ShadowTani at 12/6/2017 3:38:56 AM

Absolutely, all you should be concerned about is whoever's directly above and/or below your position in the government/guild structure.

I have a good idea of who I should be looking for with my current plan as a mayor, but I have no way of knowing who those players are; especially when it seems excessive to start a recruitment campaign in order to fill a specific position.

We need some sort of "Elyria help-wanted" to streamline that type of specific, small-scale recruitment.

ie: "The following counts are seeking a mayor who aims to specialize in promoting education. The following mayors are seeking a dedicated accountant. Contact for more info" etc

12/6/2017 4:25:09 AM #13

What I try to do is msg people. Maybe help them out in some way. If i get a recruit i invite to discord. Make them feel welcome (as much as i can) and instead of sitting around and twiddling my thumbs i have guild game nights. Guild meetings. Looking into guild giveaways and raffles. We already gave out dauntless keys. I don't want to have a massive guild. I want to have a dependable tight-knit community. Sometimes people don't fit and they go their merry way. Thats fine with me. But I'm not building a guild. Im building a family. At least thats how i view it.

United we stand. Divided we fall. Friend Code: ABF605 Click my Banner to find out more

12/6/2017 5:47:09 AM #14

I'm curious how they even know if you are with someone or not. Not everyone has in their signature who they are with. Unless they just see your account is new and assume from there.

But I do agree, some people are vultures. I always like seeing someone new asking for a group to join. You see about 10+ people all post the same shitty message. You may get lucky and see someone just link up all the kingdoms there is to choose from.

12/6/2017 6:55:01 AM #15

I agree with a lot of what you guys have to say, and you know I would say rarely somebody likes spamming folks with recruitment messages but at the same time it's quite understandable. I have to admit a few times I was guilty of this as well, though I make it a rule of mine to only message people who have openly stated that they are looking for a home in this game. It's just that if you were prepared to chime in the money time and resources to build up a guild/town/whatever you will also have to take the next step and find people for it. This can be quite slow this early on and I feel most folks that tend to hang around here at the moment have their own ambitions, so yeah it can be quite hard to find somebody who just wants to work for a Lord or in a guild (for now). Nonetheless I don't like that some people felt compelled to message everyone they see because they feel they are driven to it, and I do feel they ought to consider if this will really bring them the desired community they wish for. At the sime time, from my own experience most people around here are not overly agressive at this and while you get the occasional unwanted message a majority of them can take no for an answer and is respectful if you still wanna take your time to decide.