COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Old age death

Will there be a notification from the game server alerting you that you will die soon from old age? AKA what if i am old and I go out to do my daily chores and die of regular old age. Will my body just stay there/lose anything i was carrying?

Would it be against the intention of the game to give a countdown at like 1 hr or so before your spirit will run out due to old age to allow you to die peacefully in your own home and keep what you are carrying safe?

9/7/2017 8:12:39 PM #1

The final form of death in Chronicles of Elyria is permadeath. If enough time passes and you do not return to your mortal body, your body will become uninhabitable and your soul will be forced to make its way back to the Akashic Records; this is permadeath. The final form of looting is called Corpse Looting. Whenever you come across a corpse, you can take all items from the corpse which is not just limited to the items the corpse is wearing.

-Aging and Dying

As you get closer to permadeath your cord fades and there will be a visual que that your time is running out. Like most deaths in the dark ages it likely will be violent and not very peaceful.

9/7/2017 8:14:18 PM #2

Yea, but that assumes you were killed, I am referring to if you are not killed and just walking around as an old man. I dont want my corpse looted just because my "life" or playtime expired while i was in the market.

9/7/2017 8:27:28 PM #3

Posted By Immortalis_Family at 3:14 PM - Thu Sep 07 2017

Yea, but that assumes you were killed, I am referring to if you are not killed and just walking around as an old man. I dont want my corpse looted just because my "life" or playtime expired while i was in the market.

I would assume that when you're near permadeath your movement speed and stamina will be so low that you'll have a hard time leaving the house.

9/7/2017 8:38:25 PM #4

Posted By Scheneighnay at 4:27 PM - Thu Sep 07 2017

I would assume that when you're near permadeath your movement speed and stamina will be so low that you'll have a hard time leaving the house.

True, but I'd still hope there would be a more clear cut indication. Otherwise you might spend a week or two assuming that day was your last. It could even be as simple as a message when you wake up that you dreamt of your death and feel that it is imminent, indicating that when you go to bed that night you'll die.

Alt text - can be left blank

9/7/2017 8:42:16 PM #5

Posted By Esoba at 3:38 PM - Thu Sep 07 2017

Posted By Scheneighnay at 4:27 PM - Thu Sep 07 2017

True, but I'd still hope there would be a more clear cut indication. Otherwise you might spend a week or two assuming that day was your last. It could even be as simple as a message when you wake up that you dreamt of your death and feel that it is imminent, indicating that when you go to bed that night you'll die.

There won't be a glowy sign if that's what you're asking. It will resemble real life in that you don't know the hour or the day you will die.

Also given this is a mmo and it is possible to die in a crafting mishap like I said above it will more likely be you die at the hands of someone or something than just old age in bed.

9/7/2017 8:51:41 PM #6

No, not asking for a countdown timer, but unless there are numerous (6+) different looks to more closely see how decrepit your person is, it'd be nice for some indication near the very end. For example will you be able to tell the difference between 70-80-90? Yes, the difference between 18 and 50 is obvious, but what about elderly. However, I also vote for the ability to euthanize yourself towards the end. If I hit that point where stamina is so low it's hard to do much, I'd prefer to pop some "milk of the poppie", lay in my own bed, and take over as my heir.

9/7/2017 9:04:19 PM #7

If that is what you are looking for look to your stats. The older you get the worse your physical stats and the harder it is to maintain or raise them and the inverse for your mental stats.

Additionally it will be obvious each time you die your connection to your corpse will fade. You should know when you get close to the end of not making it back to your corpse the next time you die could be your last.

9/10/2017 1:42:34 PM #8

When you are playing your character for 11 months, it is time to choose an heir and it may be wise to continue playing that heir (That sounds awkward). When your father dies, come back and loot your father's dead body. (This is getting real creepy.

There is no warning when your time has come. You better switch to your heir when you feel the time is coming closer.

9/10/2017 1:56:19 PM #9

Posted By Malais at 4:04 PM - Thu Sep 07 2017

If that is what you are looking for look to your stats. The older you get the worse your physical stats and the harder it is to maintain or raise them and the inverse for your mental stats.

Additionally it will be obvious each time you die your connection to your corpse will fade. You should know when you get close to the end of not making it back to your corpse the next time you die could be your last.

It's like the Gilbert ring from Vampire Diaries

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

9/10/2017 2:46:16 PM #10

Posted By Esoba at 06:51 AM - Fri Sep 08 2017

However, I also vote for the ability to euthanize yourself towards the end.

Well you can do that at any age really. Get naked, go play with some wolf outside the town and just wait as time runs out getting back to your body. You would have to be pretty lucky to die of old age either way.

9/10/2017 3:16:28 PM #11

Posted By Gunnlang at 10:46 AM - Sun Sep 10 2017

Well you can do that at any age really. Get naked, go play with some wolf outside the town and just wait as time runs out getting back to your body. You would have to be pretty lucky to die of old age either way.

Touche, but I really meant in a formalized manner in your own home where your body wouldn't be left as carrion.

9/10/2017 4:53:47 PM #12

Posted By Gunnlang at 10:46 AM - Sun Sep 10 2017

I plan to go out this way in every single life I live!

Oh hey there

9/10/2017 6:56:38 PM #13

Posted By Esoba at 01:16 AM - Mon Sep 11 2017

Touche, but I really meant in a formalized manner in your own home where your body wouldn't be left as carrion.

Paying someone the right price, I'm sure they can help you out there.

9/10/2017 7:58:27 PM #14

There will most likely be a visual indicator. Note that the correct period is 7 days instead of 4 days:

"BW: Grimwulf asks “How does one actually die of old-age, do I just fall over dead in the middle of the street when the timer expires?”

Caspian: [...] We mentioned that vitality bar earlier, the way this is going to work is, you will be playing and hopefully you’ll notice your character starting to get older, their animations are changing a little bit, it should be obvious they’re advancing in years.
But if say, you have been misbehaving a lot, such that you’ve shaved off years of your life, even in your early 30s or 40s, you’re approaching the end of your life, you will notice that that vitality bar, upon waking up the next day has a slight sliver of black in it, and that black sliver will advance over the next 4 [Editor: Correct number is 7; correction mentioned later in the Q&A] days, until it accumulates and consumes your whole vitality bar. When that black shadow that is hanging over your vitality bar reaches 100%, your character is dead.

BW: Follow-up to that, “will I know how time I have left when I am close to dying of old-age?”

Caspian: Yes, when you see the black bar you have 4 [Editor: Correct number is 7; correction mentioned later in the Q&A] days."

from an old Q&A session

Here is a short explaination on what the vitality bar is supposed to be in this context:

"Caspian: [...] The secondary stats are things that are specific to combat, there are those as well as things as vitality and energy which are the thing you rely on when you move about in the world. Very quickly from the moment your character wakes up , they have a full vitality bar and as they go about the day doing things, like running, walking, sprinting, being in combat, forging or using their other skills the vitality bar will gradually go down.
The hungrier they are, the thirstier they are, the fast the vitality bar will go down. So this creates a meta will players kinda have to stop periodically, eat, take breaks and occasionally even rest in order to get their vitality bar back to full. Things that are high impact like sprinting, engaging in combat will actually drop the vitality bar as well and that’s much faster.
And the amount of energy you have is tied to the current vitality so if you’ve been out adventuring all day and you engage in combat with somebody halfway through your journey, you’re going to be in serious disadvantage because you’re tired and fatigued, where as if it’s a fresh start and you have lots of vitality you ultimately have a better chance doing those high impact things like fighting."

from an old Q&A session

9/11/2017 2:31:51 PM #15

Posted By MoonChaser at 2:58 PM - Sun Sep 10 2017

There will most likely be a visual indicator. Note that the correct period is 7 days instead of 4 days:

"BW: Grimwulf asks “How does one actually die of old-age, do I just fall over dead in the middle of the street when the timer expires?”

Caspian: [...] We mentioned that vitality bar earlier, the way this is going to work is, you will be playing and hopefully you’ll notice your character starting to get older, their animations are changing a little bit, it should be obvious they’re advancing in years.
But if say, you have been misbehaving a lot, such that you’ve shaved off years of your life, even in your early 30s or 40s, you’re approaching the end of your life, you will notice that that vitality bar, upon waking up the next day has a slight sliver of black in it, and that black sliver will advance over the next 4 [Editor: Correct number is 7; correction mentioned later in the Q&A] days, until it accumulates and consumes your whole vitality bar. When that black shadow that is hanging over your vitality bar reaches 100%, your character is dead.

BW: Follow-up to that, “will I know how time I have left when I am close to dying of old-age?”

Caspian: Yes, when you see the black bar you have 4 [Editor: Correct number is 7; correction mentioned later in the Q&A] days."

from an old Q&A session

Here is a short explaination on what the vitality bar is supposed to be in this context:

"Caspian: [...] The secondary stats are things that are specific to combat, there are those as well as things as vitality and energy which are the thing you rely on when you move about in the world. Very quickly from the moment your character wakes up , they have a full vitality bar and as they go about the day doing things, like running, walking, sprinting, being in combat, forging or using their other skills the vitality bar will gradually go down.
The hungrier they are, the thirstier they are, the fast the vitality bar will go down. So this creates a meta will players kinda have to stop periodically, eat, take breaks and occasionally even rest in order to get their vitality bar back to full. Things that are high impact like sprinting, engaging in combat will actually drop the vitality bar as well and that’s much faster.
And the amount of energy you have is tied to the current vitality so if you’ve been out adventuring all day and you engage in combat with somebody halfway through your journey, you’re going to be in serious disadvantage because you’re tired and fatigued, where as if it’s a fresh start and you have lots of vitality you ultimately have a better chance doing those high impact things like fighting."

from an old Q&A session

Perfect, thank you for this info, i hadnt seen this Q&A anywhere.