COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Creating environmental kills

So as the title suggests, I was wondering if we could create ways to kill players using the environment.

First one that comes to mind would be chopping down trees on a moving troop formation / caravan or running people over with your 2-person carriage.

Could I push boulders down hills/cliffs/mountains onto the town down below and cause structural damage or death?

Can we tie people to anchors and throw them into the center of a lake? (Even I doubt the likelihood of this)

I mean If not kill and cause a spirit walk then at least it could incapacitate them.

I don't know if this is a thing SBS is thinking of implementing but I feel it would add many layers of tactical decisions for many groups.

What do you think community.

UDL

5/30/2017 1:03:14 PM #1

Environmental damage would be such an interesting addition! I can't really see it being implemented, to be perfectly honest, partly because of the complexity and partly because of the opportunity for griefing. But I do love the idea.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

5/30/2017 1:13:08 PM #2

Posted By Caelestius at 03:03 AM - Tue May 30 2017

Environmental damage would be such an interesting addition! I can't really see it being implemented, to be perfectly honest, partly because of the complexity and partly because of the opportunity for griefing. But I do love the idea.

I don't know if it would be considered griefing since (at least how I would assume) being able to create the opportunity to use such a trap, say the falling tree example, would be difficult to plan out since you'd have to know when your target will use your trapped route, you'd have to know how close a tree is to falling, make sure it falls in the right direction, and stay unnoticed till the last moment.

I think the amount of time and work you'd have to put into these would justify it. Kind of like Trap houses in Rust.

UDL

5/30/2017 1:22:06 PM #3

Posted By Japninja808 at 2:13 PM - Tue May 30 2017

Posted By Caelestius at 03:03 AM - Tue May 30 2017

I don't know if it would be considered griefing since (at least how I would assume) being able to create the opportunity to use such a trap, say the falling tree example, would be difficult to plan out since you'd have to know when your target will use your trapped route, you'd have to know how close a tree is to falling, make sure it falls in the right direction, and stay unnoticed till the last moment.

I think the amount of time and work you'd have to put into these would justify it. Kind of like Trap houses in Rust.

Imagine if in Rust you could chop down a tree and have it fall on someone's house and break in through the roof. That's the sort of griefing I imagine. Or rolling a boulder down a hill and killing a dozen of Farmer Joe's best horses. Because if environmental damage can hurt players in the physics engine, I'm sure it would damage buildings as well.

5/30/2017 1:35:30 PM #4

Imagine if in Rust you could chop down a tree and have it fall on someone's house and break in through the roof. That's the sort of griefing I imagine. Or rolling a boulder down a hill and killing a dozen of Farmer Joe's best horses. Because if environmental damage can hurt players in the physics engine, I'm sure it would damage buildings as well.

I can see your point, but that's on the architect of the building. If environmental damage was a possibility then it would make sense to clear the trees around you.

As far as rolling a boulder down a hill, while I agree it would be devastating for Farmer Joe but whoever rolled that boulder must've either brought a boulder up that hill or you can blame the architect for not clearing the potential dangers.

Hope you have that "Ye Old Insurance" on your home.

But ultimately, it's up to the devs to find that balance between "Fun" and "Realistic"

UDL

5/30/2017 1:37:24 PM #5

Posted By Japninja808 at 2:35 PM - Tue May 30 2017

I can see your point, but that's on the architect of the building. If environmental damage was a possibility then it would make sense to clear the trees around you.

As far as rolling a boulder down a hill, while I agree it would be devastating for Farmer Joe but whoever rolled that boulder must've either brought a boulder up that hill or you can blame the architect for not clearing the potential dangers.

Holy shit. New business idea. Elyrian Insurance.

WAS YOUR OPC IN AN ACCIDENT AND IT WASN'T YOUR FAULT? COME ON DOWN TO ELYRIA4LIFE AND YOU CAN CLAIM UP TO 2,000 GOLD

5/30/2017 1:41:02 PM #6

Posted By Caelestius at 03:37 AM - Tue May 30 2017

Posted By Japninja808 at 2:35 PM - Tue May 30 2017

Holy shit. New business idea. Elyrian Insurance.

WAS YOUR OPC IN AN ACCIDENT AND IT WASN'T YOUR FAULT? COME ON DOWN TO ELYRIA4LIFE AND YOU CAN CLAIM UP TO 2,000 GOLD

They obviously work hand in hand with the Elyrian Lawyers so brace yourself as we're headed further into deviant territory...

UDL

5/30/2017 1:43:03 PM #7

Posted By Japninja808 at 2:41 PM - Tue May 30 2017

snipped

They obviously work hand in hand with the Elyrian Lawyers so brace yourself as we're headed further into deviant territory...

Ahahah. The deviant skill tree revealed.

• Lock picking
  • Stealth
  • Forgery
  • Legal studies
  • Disguise

5/30/2017 2:02:13 PM #8

Traps have been discussed in the #15th Dev Journal among other as part of the deviant skill tree where pit traps, tripwires, pressure plates, and mechanical door traps were mentioned.

I'm guessing laws can and probably will be created against setting up traps outside your home property though, but at least traps is supposed to be part of the planned game design.

Personally I hope I can make reverse trap doors, which swing downwards, so if stepped on with the security lock removed will essentially make the person fall through when walked over, hehe.

In regards to the other things you mentioned I'm not sure if comparable scenario's have been discussed yet; except for forcing people in any way like tying them up, which have explicitly been stated as something that won't be allowed/possible.

5/30/2017 2:31:36 PM #9

I can see things like what you describing being able to happen.... pulling them off is another thing.

Like putting a boulder on top of a cliff and rolling it down the hill to cause structural damage.... sure, you could do this however....

1) A town positioned at a bottom of a hill is a huge tactial weakness, no one will do this. Having a watchtower at the top of the hill makes sense, so i don't see there being a spare hill to pull this off

2) Someone rolling a huge boulder to the top of a hill that is heavy enough to cause structural damage... not to mention that it needs to be a steep hill to gather momentum.... well thats going to get noticed. The towns people aren't going to wait around for you to get to the top of the hill :D

It would be a fun thing to watch someone attempt, but i'd say it'll be next to impossible.... risk versus reward say's you could do it :D logic says you can't ;)

5/30/2017 2:32:29 PM #10

Posted By ShadowTani at 04:02 AM - Tue May 30 2017

Traps have been discussed in the #15th Dev Journal among other as part of the deviant skill tree where pit traps, tripwires, pressure plates, and mechanical door traps were mentioned.

Thanks for the link!

UDL

5/30/2017 2:45:23 PM #11

For the falling trees and boulders, the only thing I can say is the Spatial OS makes it possible. If they want to do that or not would be up to them.

If you tied people up the bonds break with a certain amount of time. SBS seems to be against locking people down or preventing them from playing.

5/30/2017 3:23:58 PM #12

Posted By Nagash at 04:31 AM - Tue May 30 2017

I can see things like what you describing being able to happen.... pulling them off is another thing.

Like putting a boulder on top of a cliff and rolling it down the hill to cause structural damage.... sure, you could do this however....

1) A town positioned at a bottom of a hill is a huge tactial weakness, no one will do this. Having a watchtower at the top of the hill makes sense, so i don't see there being a spare hill to pull this off

2) Someone rolling a huge boulder to the top of a hill that is heavy enough to cause structural damage... not to mention that it needs to be a steep hill to gather momentum.... well thats going to get noticed. The towns people aren't going to wait around for you to get to the top of the hill :D

It would be a fun thing to watch someone attempt, but i'd say it'll be next to impossible.... risk versus reward say's you could do it :D logic says you can't ;)

A town at the bottom of a hill could be a tactical disadvantage but if that's where the resources are then it'll be rough time till all the natural boulders are already down there as part of the town walls.

This could also be the case for towns/cities close to mountains... but either way it would be interesting to see or pull off.

UDL

5/30/2017 3:39:20 PM #13

There is a survival mechanic in the game that can "environmentally" kill you, so I would assume some of these other ideas are not far off.

UDL

10/11/2017 10:30:12 PM #14

speaking of environmental traps i think it would be cool if you could set up pit fall traps with spikes or possibly wooden log traps were the trip a wire and a huge log comes down

10/11/2017 11:31:37 PM #15

I would love it, but complexity is definitely an issue.

I can only imagine a tree falling down, glitching out, then rocketing through the atmosphere to land on (and kill) the neighboring King before starting a continent-destroying war.

Would be funny as hell, but probably not what the devs want.