COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Burial & Player Corpses

Hi all!

I saw Fenrer comment on a thread that they would love to play as a grave digger or crypt keeper -

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/19427/dreams-and-their-mechanics

Posted By Fenrer at 08:02 AM - Thu May 18 2017

Current dream is to be able to become a gravedigger/crypt keeper - making fancy tombs, gravestones and memorials.

Digging catacombs with vaults for the dead lining the walls and decorated with skulls and bones as far as the eye can see..

Then as I am a 'waste not persona' I can do some grave plundering and selling of corpses to medical study on the side. Why not host a few shady guilds who like the atmosphere in some hidden chambers too.

What I'm wondering is - what happens what a player (or NPC) permadies? Do they leave a corpse that starts to rot and smell? Will burying corpses, cremating corpses, giving corpses a Viking Burial be a possibility? Will NOT burying corpses have consequences - will leaving dead Uncle Leo lying in the streets attract vermin and cause disease?

What do we all think? In a game as immersive and deep as CoE is shaping up to be, I wouldn't be surprised if all of the above was to be included, but what does everyone else think?

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

5/18/2017 9:18:47 AM #1

I truly hope there are corpse-related mechanics. It would mean we'd need cemeteries and graveyards, which could give an air of creepiness to anyone who wishes a gothic theme for their cities/towns and an added use to churches and cathedrals.

My eternal question started as a joke ("If we end up in a desert, we'll have to use the blood of our enemies to fertilize our lands!"), but now I'm seriously curious about being able to use corpses (both human and monster/animal) as fertilizer for farming.

This would also open the option to "strange meat pies of doubtable sources" when famine strikes a kingdom.

As I said, I truly hope we can do something with corpses.

It's pronounced "Day-ree-elle"

5/18/2017 11:02:08 AM #2

While we can theory craft all we want, I actually want this anwered in the future. I remember a few Q&A's where Caspian used a crypt or tomb as an example, doesn't prove anything but gives me some hope. And we can have one of the most interesting questions in a game that is actually a living world.

How long do you have to wait, before grave robbing is considered tomb raiding or an expedition?

5/18/2017 1:06:38 PM #3

Imagine being able to visit the graves of all of your past lives, like a little pilgrimage in honour of yourself, hahaha.

Caspian HAS mentioned crypts, tombs, necromancy - I really hope they weren't idle words, because in the vein of visiting all of your past selves' graves - imagining being granted a necromancy talent, and raising an undead army made up of a dozen of your past lives!

5/18/2017 1:47:16 PM #4

Posted By Caelestius at

Hi all!

I saw Fenrer comment on a thread that they would love to play as a grave digger or crypt keeper -

Current dream is to be able to become a gravedigger/crypt keeper - making fancy tombs, gravestones and memorials.

Digging catacombs with vaults for the dead lining the walls and decorated with skulls and bones as far as the eye can see..

Then as I am a 'waste not persona' I can do some grave plundering and selling of corpses to medical study on the side. Why not host a few shady guilds who like the atmosphere in some hidden chambers too.

What I'm wondering is - what happens what a player (or NPC) permadies? Do they leave a corpse that starts to rot and smell? Will burying corpses, cremating corpses, giving corpses a Viking Burial be a possibility? Will NOT burying corpses have consequences - will leaving dead Uncle Leo lying in the streets attract vermin and cause disease?

What do we all think? In a game as immersive and deep as CoE is shaping up to be, I wouldn't be surprised if all of the above was to be included, but what does everyone else think?

I'm just gonna leave this for you. It's an excerpt from a Q&A with BicycleWalrus back in January 2016 which you can find here on page 11 of the document.

BW: Falcon asks “How will we handle dead bodies? will they disappear or will we have tombs/cemeteries and potentially face overcrowding even, leading up to something like the catacombs in france? (lich king plot spoiler?)”

Caspian: Let’s be honest, without the need to bury bodies, or create crypts and things like that, why would there ever be a crypt or that sort of thing. So if we want these ancient crypts and catacombs, we need to make a reason for it. So in this world, if you die your body just stays there and will eventually decompose and leave a skeleton behind along with all the materials that were in the possession of that person, forever more. So you could visit a dungeon that hasn’t been visited in 1000 years and still see the remains of skulls and bones and stuff like that, scattered along the floor

But as we said before, in kind of a hint of lore to come, it’s always a good idea to dispose of your dead properly.

BW: So how about… Triggered Story Arcs. Say we bury 10,000 bodies in a crypt triggers a story-arc, something like that could happen?

Caspian: Something like that could definitely happen.

BW: So the catacombs in France are a possibility?

Caspian: Anything is possible. I’ve got TripNull grinning at me right now so you’re getting dangerously close to fun stuff we’ve got planned.

Also on the Kickstarter one of the transport items they put up as being an option to buy on the EP Store was a "Gravekeeper's Cart", which is also shown on the wiki here.

Imgur Imgur

5/18/2017 1:57:51 PM #5

Posted By Sharielane at 2:47 PM - Thu May 18 2017

Posted By Caelestius at

snipped

Amazing! I'm relatively new to the community (that is to say, I've been aware of the game for some time but only recently dove head-first into the forums and upgraded my pledge). I love, love love that this has been addressed already! My apologies to any long-standing members who are tired of new people bringing up things that have already been discussed, haha.

5/18/2017 2:36:32 PM #6

The mention of a grave keeper's cart makes me think of plagues with carts of piled bodies. Makes me think about how exactly disease could change the game. Everyone better carry some posies :)

5/18/2017 2:48:44 PM #7

Posted By Caelestius at I would love those Ideas. It would add Immersion to the game

Hi all!

Count Dante Rhyne The Black Fox of Vornair

C61D9F

5/18/2017 3:14:36 PM #8

Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Thank you Sharielane for that information. Now I have more hope than I could have ever imagined in getting to play out my dreams.

5/18/2017 3:15:33 PM #9

Posted By Fenrer at 4:14 PM - Thu May 18 2017

Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Thank you Sharielane for that information. Now I have more hope than I could have ever imagined in getting to play out my dreams.

Hahaha, I knew you'd be happy about that! If you hadn't seen and commented in the next few hours I was going to PM that link to you.

5/18/2017 3:20:25 PM #10

I love this game and community. That would have been mighty sweet of you Caelestius.

5/18/2017 3:22:58 PM #11

Isn't this community just fantastic? Really properly inspiring. I'm honestly so thrilled for you that you'll be able to play your dream profession of cryptkeeper!

That said, the word "cryptkeeper" makes me think of a bad guy in Scooby Doo

5/18/2017 3:27:00 PM #12

"Bring out yer dead! "

5/18/2017 3:29:12 PM #13

Can't wait for Elyria's first plague and the inevitable segregation and quarantines of the sick and dead from the healthy. Catapults flinging corpses over enemy walls, anyone?

5/18/2017 3:30:11 PM #14

There was a guild made around a religion about taking care of dead bodies. It seems like there may be a story event where evil may bring back dead bodies that may not been buried correctly. That's just me thinking about the Q&A where Caspian spoke about burying bodies.

5/18/2017 3:32:38 PM #15

Posted By Deftly at 4:30 PM - Thu May 18 2017

There was a guild made around a religion about taking care of dead bodies. It seems like there may be a story event where evil may bring back dead bodies that may not been buried correctly. That's just me thinking about the Q&A where Caspian spoke about burying bodies.

That Q&A gave enough away to know that there will probably be a story around corpses, but not enough to know if they'd be zombies, if there would be a disease, if the gods would be displeased with the poor treatment of the dead... SO tantalising hahaha