COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Kingdom Identifier

Hello I was wondering what are the things that give Kingdoms their identity. Open to anyone probably helps kingdoms to see what opinions are.

Blackheart of NA-W - stands outs to me as it is embraces evil and dark themes. Kingdom of Vornair of NA-E- Is celtic I assume Kingdom of Tryggr of EU- Has alot of viking themes

I haven't looked much into all the kingdoms, but at a glance I couldn't distill something that stands out in the others. I am sure others have more developed opinions than me.

If possible try answer as I have, if you list 1000 things it stops being an identifier. Eg. Cookie monster likes cookies, if you show he also likes every type of food an equal amount he stops being a cookie monster he is just a monster that likes food.

4/21/2017 4:08:42 PM #1

Blackheart I don't think sees themselves as evil ... Gothic maybe?

I think Ashland on NA-W is your good old Medieval Christian/British style kingdom in design. From what I understand it's fairly loose in its laws and organization giving a lot of power to its Dukes.

Any ways that just my take on it, but I haven't been around long

4/21/2017 4:29:45 PM #2

My take on the Eastern Kingdoms, although some of it might be wrong since I'm only part of Bordweall:

• Kairos - Similar to Venice. Capitalistic society. Most of their members seems to be spilt between Merchants and Pvpers. Not that I'm saying there aren't other roles, just that Merchants and Pvpers seem to dominate the ranks.

• Riftwood - They'll have support for those who wants to start in a Desert Biome, so pretty cool. I also remember them being quoted as a defensive-stanced kingdom.

• Bordweall - Once a confederacy of Dukes. But then one of the Duke upgraded to King so that the Dukes can have a home they like. The Dukes are given high autonomy and the main Kingdom law is "Don't be a D." We'll hopefully build the best walls.

• Vornair - Big, strong, and the most established. 2 Kingdoms merged as one. Viking in nature, although I guess this isn't manual. You don't have to be a Viking.

• Fortuna - Land of the free. Claim your Fortune here today. But ya, I'd say this Kingdom is for those that does not want to join a community. There isn't any community here, so if you start in this Kingdom, you won't be accidently stepping on anyone's toes.

The above kingdoms definitely have other defining attributes. But the ones I wrote are the ones I'm fairly confident about.

Right now, I'm just a sloth. Just a motionless sloth. A sinful sloth. Please don't make me work. Can't you see how troublesome it would be to get up everyday and actually be productive? Just leave me be. Let me be a sloth.

4/21/2017 5:33:53 PM #3

Nice breakdown, makes the game more immersive feeling differences in the cultures. Seems like each server needs area dedicated to the players that want to be undecided and hide from the games politics.

4/21/2017 5:51:47 PM #4

I'll give it a try for the EU Kingdoms:

Nirath: The biggest and oldest kingdom on EU. They are quite inclusive, get along with almost everyone and feature large Spanish and German communities. They used to have a focus on a hot desert climate, but dropped that once it became clear Dragor would come in last at land selection, instead focusing on the community.

Arkadia They have the outward image of a generic medieval kingdom, even though they intend to aim for Greek/Roman culture. The kingdom appears to be mostly built on duchies focused on one language community. There's Italian, French, German, Russian, Portuguese and Spanish groups, but no numbers on the size of each.

Tryggr: The last of the three old kingdoms. No longer an official kingdom after they lost their layaway in recent events, but still one of the larger EU communities. Their theme is mostly inspired by vikings. Their general attitude can be described as either crude or honest, depending on your perspective.

Demalion: A relatively young kingdom with two royal pledges. The rulers are Arabic, but they recruited Terenia, a sizable EU community that lacked high pledges. Their aim is to establish an empire.

Al-Khezam: The youngest EU Kingdom. It came into existence after the Duke of one of the four big duchies of Nirath decided his philosophies differed too much from those of Nirath. Their general image is that of an Arabic culture and they strongly focus on equality and tolerance.

Alt text

4/21/2017 6:03:43 PM #5

Posted By CalligoMercator at 6:51 PM - Fri Apr 21 2017

I'll give it a try for the EU Kingdoms:

-Nirath. The biggest and oldest kingdom on EU. They are quite inclusive, get along with almost everyone and feature large Spanish and German communities. They used to have a focus on a hot desert climate, but dropped that once it became clear Dragor would come in last at land selection, instead focusing on the community.

Not to mention the stuff re:desert tribes sorta put us off from a kingdom perspective.

Also, there's a fair bit of variation in the 'cultures' of the duchies in Nirath. The duchies of the Zabi Demesne, for instance, have a significantly different feel to them than Asebe’ia Thunar.

I'm not really sure if Nirath can be said to have 'an identifier' there's a lot of things we want to try (religious intolerance being one of them) but most of us are waiting for mechanics and land selection before we try to direct our theme.

Coming Soon(tm)

4/21/2017 6:22:10 PM #6

Lemme just burst in from West coast best coast. I'll let the other kingdoms speak for themselves, but I'll do my best to describe Aranor to outsiders.

We value loyalty and merit above all else. If you do well, you rise up and reap the rewards, but if someone else comes along to challenge your ability, you gotta give 110% to keep those rewards. This ensures people are always at their best, and no skilled player is left behind just because they started poor.

As for our customs, rp, etc;

We put a large emphasis on noble houses. Family pride comes second only to the crown. Overall our theme is medieval scottish, yet many counts and dukes have the freedom to be more diverse in their lands. Military strength and internal prosperity are our two overall focuses, giving our citizens a safe and comfortable standard of living.

4/21/2017 6:26:39 PM #7

Keep in mind that all those have close to no value except as early out of character out of world context value or meaning.

Nothing or close to nothing of what makes the "identity" of kingdoms, duchies, counties and settlement now will stand domain selection and tribe information releases.

4/21/2017 6:33:22 PM #8

Posted By markof at 11:26 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

Keep in mind that all those have close to no value except as early out of character out of world context value or meaning.

Nothing or close to nothing of what makes the "identity" of kingdoms, duchies, counties and settlement now will stand domain selection and tribe information releases.

hrmmm - for the Kingdom of Bordweall i disagree on this one

Our Kingdom's identity isn't biome or tribe dependant, so actually very little to nothing will change in terms of core identity with domain selection

After domain selection details will be layered over that base foundation

4/21/2017 9:57:05 PM #9

For Blackheart there are certainly others that have been a part of the Kingdom longer than myself but we are not evil by any means. Aside from many embracing the darker, gothic feel, it is not a requirement.

For identifiers I would say that Blackheart is very Roleplay friendly (not to be confused with anti-PvP) and places a high value on loyalty and family. We are all of Blackheart, one Kingdom, one blood, undivided.

4/21/2017 10:39:34 PM #10

Great thread for the Kingdoms to parade their banners!

Very helpful, I hope every Kingdom chimes in!

DPBoD2.jpg

4/22/2017 2:53:11 AM #11

Definitely ways to create identity. You could have a heavy industry focus with a plan for uniforms of heavy armour and to aim for superiority through technology.

You could have a more religious focus and ingrain that into your attitudes could be like sisters of battle purging evil or cultists that arent necessarily evil but are shrouded in mystery and rituals (this would be my choice).

You could base yourself on elven styles, very clean and connected to nature.

You could take influences from roman empire with plans for superior organization and an attitude to get things done.

I don't think your very limited from doing any of these, you won't be able to go 100% into a theme but you dont need to. You just need a few elements to give you that different feel.

4/22/2017 3:23:24 AM #12

"Definitely ways to create identity. You could have a heavy industry focus with a plan for uniforms of heavy armour and to aim for superiority through technology.

You could have a more religious focus and ingrain that into your attitudes could be like sisters of battle purging evil or cultists that arent necessarily evil but are shrouded in mystery and rituals (this would be my choice)."

Don't even get me started, the crew has made a dozen or so Gods already and the Queen has been wanting to make decorative suits of armor as our traditional formalwear...

4/22/2017 3:52:36 AM #13

Posted By Shady Clown at 10:29 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

My take on the Eastern Kingdoms, although some of it might be wrong since I'm only part of Bordweall:

• Vornair - Big, strong, and the most established. 2 Kingdoms merged as one. Viking in nature, although I guess this isn't manual. You don't have to be a Viking.

Eh, I'll offer my small view of Vornair, I'm only the smallest of the smallest part of it, so honestly just my viewpoint.

Yes, you are correct. The theme is Viking, but no one is really forced to be one. Very big, very friendly and honestly steadfast. It takes some effort to actually stick out since there are so many, and from time to time I hear whispers Vornair being called, "The Evil Empire." Which I don't know the exact origins of.

4/22/2017 4:03:38 AM #14

Posted By DoctorFaust at 8:52 PM - Fri Apr 21 2017

Posted By Shady Clown at 10:29 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

Eh, I'll offer my small view of Vornair, I'm only the smallest of the smallest part of it, so honestly just my viewpoint.

Yes, you are correct. The theme is Viking, but no one is really forced to be one. Very big, very friendly and honestly steadfast. It takes some effort to actually stick out since there are so many, and from time to time I hear whispers Vornair being called, "The Evil Empire." Which I don't know the exact origins of.

I think I might know the origin to that story. It was when Vornair was still a Single Kingdom and had too many Dukes, but not enough slots to fit them all. I think at least 2 of their Dukes announced that they'll start in foreign kingdoms, rebel, and become part of Vornair that way. I'm 90% this info should be correct, since these Duchies openly wrote about their plans and I saw the texts with my own eyes. I didn't get pictures of course, and they have now rewritten things, so don't ask me for exact sources. What I'm not 100% sure is whether this was the reason Vornair was given the title of "The Evil Empire," or some other reason, or perhaps even a multitude of reason.

Things have changed now that they're 2 Kingdoms and have space for all of their Dukes.

Right now, I'm just a sloth. Just a motionless sloth. A sinful sloth. Please don't make me work. Can't you see how troublesome it would be to get up everyday and actually be productive? Just leave me be. Let me be a sloth.

4/22/2017 4:06:26 AM #15

People don't need to say "My kingdom actually has a bit of everything" . Every kingdom is like that.

Every Kingdom wants to recruit everyone they can and so no doors are closed.

But saying things such as "I want to have viking themes and viking weapons and viking houses" helps to align players. You don't have to be Viking but if the Kingdom wants to be viking there is a higher chance you will be able to be a viking if you join especially considering Biomes.