COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Non-traditional/Group Marriages

I was talking on another website about CoE, and realized that one question I had did not appear to be in the forums.

Are group marriages going to be possible in the game? Of any sort? Polyamory, Polygamy, Polyandry, Serial Monogomy, Swinging, whatever.

Essentially, once married, are you limited to a single spouse?

Thanks

FC# 3258EF

1/3/2017 8:18:57 PM #1

Good question. I'd like to know this as well..I don't see why it couldn't work.

1/3/2017 8:28:14 PM #2

the contract system might allow you to as players set up a system like that

or only include those specific types in your family

i certainly don't think the devs should dedicate development time to implement a game mechanic for it unless it was timewise an easy thing to do

1/3/2017 8:29:18 PM #3

If you want to know more about families there is this link:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/game/families-genetics

I have read somewhere (I will need to find it and when I do find it I will edit this post) where there is a possibility that if you do marry an NPC they might be Gold diggers, meaning there will be drama x D. I believe when you have marriage there will be a contract with specific requirements from both parties.

What that contract contains is up to the two parties.

Regarding, polygamy (Group marriages). As far as I know you cannot do that. Pretty sure relationships fall under monogamy, although I'm pretty sure you can divorce the person. Consider that decision though, when you marry someone you're creating a bond a lasting dynasty! I believe you can have many kids depending on the size of the house. I'm pretty sure that you can't have a family of 30 if you live in a shack.

Hope that gave some insight!

1/3/2017 8:42:55 PM #4

I don't see why a group marriage couldn't work, though. As far as the line of succession goes and inheritance, don't PC's determine who heirs are and who inherits? If that's the case then what would be the point of not allowing polygamy if the game mechanics are open enough to allow it to work?

1/3/2017 8:54:08 PM #5

Polygamy.... Lol

Sworn Count of Arkadia. Treasure of the Bank of Arkadia

House words: Arkadia Invictus

1/3/2017 8:58:25 PM #6

There might be a limit to marriages just because there could be certain bonuses linked to being around your spouse (I think your family can help you get through the Astral Plain faster if close to them...so if everyone in your group was married to you, I could see how that might be abuse-able).

However, I don't think marriage limits your eligibility to contract with other players to produce children. So in a way, something like swinging is allowed :-)

1/3/2017 9:06:05 PM #7

Posted By Hellmoon at 3:58 PM - Tue Jan 03 2017

There might be a limit to marriages just because there could be certain bonuses linked to being around your spouse (I think your family can help you get through the Astral Plain faster if close to them...so if everyone in your group was married to you, I could see how that might be abuse-able).

However, I don't think marriage limits your eligibility to contract with other players to produce children. So in a way, something like swinging is allowed :-)

I personally wouldn't mind if you get together with a person for 'x' amount of years to create a child. Of course, a contract would be in place. However, what NPC would wanna do that? Maybe, if you do it with a player then I suppose it's a different story. As long as both parties consent to it.

I personally wouldn't want polygamy in the game, the king would have a monopoly on it, he would have more children and can do whatever he wants, simply because he has the authority. If a king did that, I'd turn into an assassin really fast.

1/4/2017 12:01:27 AM #8

Well one thing is for sure...you can have a lot of illegitimate children if you choose to.

1/4/2017 12:44:52 AM #9

The game needs to know how to resolve any contract according to the terms therein. Which means you need to avoid the possibility of a deadlock situation where multiple parties have the same claim to the same asset. So I doubt they would allow marriages between multiple parties. Who would get the marriage buff then? Who gets to act as your anchor to this world while spirit walking? Who gets to access whose biological lines for heirs? This all gets too complicated to deal with when you have an undefined number of participants in a series of contracts that almost nobody would use anyway.

1/4/2017 1:14:16 AM #10

I'm sure there will be tons of "illgitimate" children wandering around. I know personally I hope to play another character on the side and have side children with my main's spouse if possible. Don't know if you can select if they get benefits (if they are a noble and they have a child outside marriage with commoner) not sure how that works.

But you can't marry them both. It will most likely work like real life, they have one legal wife and the rest are "Spiritually" married. As long as the side girlfriends have a house then you should be able to have lots of offspring.

I'm sure if this is true though then a king would have his own concubine village.

1/11/2017 1:47:48 PM #11

Pretty sure you can only be married to one person at a time. being married gives you too many bonuses to allow for multiple. Not the least of which is strengthening your life link so when you die you can make it back easier. i remember it being talked about in one of the Q&As, but I could of course be wrong. Fairly confident I am remembering that correctly however.

2/5/2017 1:59:50 AM #12

I think this topic deserves some thought by the game developers.

If they're already stretching the 'fantasy' element enough to accommodate the institution of gay marriage with unquestioning, contemporary effetism in an archaic setting, then the range of human marriage that has a far greater claim to historical accuracy deserves another glance.

Should the traditional 1:1 monogamous be possible? Unequivocally. Lots of strong characters and stories to be had there. But there are other traditions in history as well--and it might add some mystique and ambiance to the different civilizations in the game if they were....well...Different.

Hindu myth is replete with multiple queens to a king. In Arabia, Islam limiting the sanctionable number of wives down to 4 was a feminist reform!

In another nod to contemporary sensibilities, the less-common polyandry of multiple husbands to a woman could be just as enjoyable a medieval fantasy.

The role players will have no trouble recreating the voracious morays of 'GoT' in the game, regardless of the "marriage" mechanics. But I'd be willing to bet it's actually creating programming work to forcibly limit "marriage.exe" to singularly exclusive pairs.

Let the players decide for their own kingdoms. Heck, let the players feud within their own kingdoms! Let the different attitudes be an element of mystique for each player about 'those foreigners.'

Y'all done already let the genie out of the bottle. Marriage in CoE ain't "traditional." You're making a World. Let it be Worldly.

DPBoD2.jpg

2/5/2017 2:05:49 AM #13

Don't ask me where, but I remember that marriage is going to be forced 1 to 1, basically like a contract. That doesn't mean you can roll play multiple partners or play with more, just when it comes down to assets, contracts, and distribution, there can be only one lineage, one line. That doesn't mean you can't have children with different partners it would be out of wedlock. In that case you would have specify by name any assets to be passed on to an heir, but the mother would not be your wife.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

2/20/2019 7:01:56 AM #14

This is an oldy, but a goody, and was never truly answered.

I have been out of the loop lately, so has this one been answered by a dev? Or on one of the videos?

2/20/2019 9:48:08 PM #15

This is the end game of Chronicles