COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
decapitation and limb loss

first is this going to be part of the game and second if one does lose a limb does it grow back when a persons soul goes back to there body, or do they have to live the rest of there life limbless.

decapitation would be a problem if the later was true as you cant live without a head so would it just mean perma death.

10/23/2016 8:40:34 AM #1

I'm going to go with a soft no. This had been brought up before and I think the consensus is

A) no one wants to be One Leg Jimmy begging for coin outside the tavern. Well I won't say no one, but the only ones that would are probably getting their leg cut off on purpose to fulfill the role. The majority of players would see this as a possible halt to everything they want to do. Pretty tough to farm the land with one leg

B) decapitation and limb loss would most likely bump the ESRB to "M" rating and I'm going to assume SbS wants to keep it at "T" in order to expand the potential customer base

Personally, I like the idea. Cutting the head off of a dead NPC or permadead player (especially a Noble) and spiking it at the entrance of the town your bandit party just raided would add a lot of flavour, and I wouldn't mind a town Jimmy to brighten my day, but alas it wouldn't be good for the sake of the game. Think of how easy it would be to grief someone. You find an Explorer, you best him in battle and cut off both if his legs. This may as well be permadeath for this type of playstyle, and could happen within the first hour of entering the world

TSSoE Homepage

10/23/2016 8:48:24 AM #2

that's a good point and why i asked all tho it would be a interesting part of the game i was pretty sure it would be a no

10/23/2016 9:36:42 AM #3

That's agoodquestion. What will the rating of the game be? Sure if it's T for teen, you'll have a larger player base, but do you really want kids playing this game?

https://discord.gg/esT7wMN

10/23/2016 9:44:41 AM #4

Are you saying teenagers shouldn't learn about economics, politics and consequences in a fun and engaging way?

TSSoE Homepage

10/23/2016 10:17:08 AM #5

im a teen and most teens and kids would not learn that part of the game and just go around ruining the game

10/23/2016 10:27:00 AM #6

yeah but the typical teen over 16 or so wouldn't, you're just an idiot

10/23/2016 10:32:15 AM #7

Shots fired! But back to the topic, I think loss of limb should be allowed. It'd give combat a new facet of danger involved. Course, it'd allow doctors and healers a new revenue of coin, by sewing limbs back on X-D

I just don't see it being a viable thing in game. But I would welcome it, if it was.

10/23/2016 10:33:35 AM #8

or back smiths making fake usable limbs

10/23/2016 10:38:15 AM #9

They've said before they don't plan to do this, as it would be too expensive to model, rig, and animate all of the possible disabilities. I imagine it would also be a nightmare to try to incorporate missing limbs into the already intricate apparel system. Scars are supposed to appear on your body every time you CDG, though.

10/23/2016 10:41:33 AM #10

I don't think there should be any permanent loss of limb. As Jeebs said, that could effectively be permadeath for certain playstyles.

Now, that doesn't mean that long term injury shouldn't be possible. IE I break my leg/arm/whatever, I can't use it/get a debuff to stats until I am treated.

Its only when you get into permanent stuff that it becomes more harm than it's worth.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

10/23/2016 11:43:56 AM #11

This one is a tossup for me. I'm sure it happened a lot in the ninth century, so there is no question about the realism. But unless there is a way to incorporate artificial limbs (and if they do, what's the point) perhaps with a dexterity loss, it's not going to be very fun.

I think it should be a roleplaying option.

• I'm big enough to forgive you. But I'm not stupid enough to trust you again. (A29D00/#9056)
10/23/2016 11:52:35 AM #12

The experience of limb loss, as a rule, isn't intrinsic to game play and really only offers a hindrance. Sure it makes for great story, but as a mechanic it's not a good idea for the reasons mentioned already.

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

10/23/2016 11:58:55 AM #13

i truly dislike the idea of losing a limb 2 months into my life spark and playing another 10 months with a severe disadvantage

10/23/2016 12:34:29 PM #14

Then don't fight. If limb loss was incorporated into the game, how many people do you think would participate in combat? Only those with true skill (or just plain stubborn) would be combatants.

Of course, I know limb loss wouldn't be a part of the game, but I would give another layer of realism to fighting. Like a chair of severed heads as my throne. :-D

10/23/2016 1:09:17 PM #15

Posted By Zythulic at 05:34 AM - Sun Oct 23 2016

Then don't fight. If limb loss was incorporated into the game, how many people do you think would participate in combat? Only those with true skill (or just plain stubborn) would be combatants.

Of course, I know limb loss wouldn't be a part of the game, but I would give another layer of realism to fighting. Like a chair of severed heads as my throne. :-D

lol - walking on crutches for 10 out of 12 months might be your idea of a balanced risk/reward system that makes a game fun and engaging - sure as shit ain't mine