COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
CoE Families & Guilds of Today

CoE is taking a different approach to guilds than most other MMO’s out there today.  Where your guild is your support structure in a lot of other MMO’s, in CoE guilds are more for people working together on a skill or job (e.g. healers, blacksmiths, assassin guilds) while your family take on the role of a player’s support structure etc.

With that being said, it’s fair to say that a lot of guilds today fall under the family category in CoE rather than guilds so that got me wondering about a couple of things.

• Is there a family member cap?

There are a lot of guilds out there today who have been together for numerous years and play a lot of games together.  This means that a lot of guilds are quite large, so if they want to play as a family rather than a guild in CoE will there be a cap on how many members a family can have?

• If there is a cap (or even if there’s not)

Will there be a way to unite families under a ‘House’ title?

I think the approach Soulbound Studios is taking with CoE’s guild and family systems is right on the money and I can’t wait to see them play out in-game.  It’s going to be very exciting to see which families rise to the top, what alliances are struck among the top families and also which guilds gain the most fame… or notoriety (assassin and political guilds I’m looking at you).

Found my guide helpful? Show your love by adding my Friend Code:1996D8

8/7/2015 5:07:01 PM #1

Good questions.  I belong to a gaming community that has a lot of members and when we seriously decide to take our family (yup our community is a family, not a guild) into a game we can easily have 1200 people show up on day one.  We did this in one game with guilds with player limits of 500 with no alliance chat and well the family felt all broken up no matter how we tried to organize the guilds to have similiar player types in them and of similiar time zones.  It was a NIGHTMARE!  That including the usual burps, hiccups and what not, including shiny newness wear off, the number of players in the game shrunk a LOT in two months.

I'm not sure how the community will flock to this title at this time, but there definitely has to be things not only to handle the solo player with no friends playing to the HUGE gaming communities that come with a troop of 1000 and want to be able to have ease of in game communication to ALL.

8/7/2015 5:21:58 PM #2

I haven't seen anything about member counts however, there is a developer journal from April about the chat system. It mentions something a little strange, if you want a chat channel you can make one but guilds will not come with one as standard. You would have to get the player aliases of all 1000+ members and invite them all (if chat channels allow that many memebers is not confirmed). I can understand the idea behind it, they want to encourage face to face in character comunication.I do wonder if it will work like that in practice.

To be clear the developer journal only mentions guilds not having a channel. I am unsure how family communication works.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

8/7/2015 5:53:34 PM #3

There's no limit to the number of players in chat rooms. You can either invite people, or they can join automatically if they know the password (if you assign one). There is also a channel index so people can find your gaming community's chat channel when they sign in. People can also chat with the rest of your community while not signed in using any ol' XMPP chat client. In this way, people can stay in contact in and out of the game.

Within a chat channel you can see people by their Alias. So if we were in a chat room right now you'd see Victoria, Caspian, Silv, and Briseadh happily chatting along. 

As for families, as you'll see in a few weeks there's no official "cap" to family size, however the family mechanics will make it such that all 1200 people who show up on day one won't be able to be part of the same family (you can only pop 'em out so fast, after all).

Some of them will be part of the same family, some may be part of the same dynasty, and others may just be neighbors that live near by. Once in-game though, there's no limit to guild size. And ultimately, people may identify more by their village, county, duchy, principality, or kingdom. So you can build a family, build a guild, or build a realm.

And Victoria, you're 1/3 right. We do want to encourage face-to-face communication, but equally important - not everyone in CoE is who they seem. ::evil grin:: We disassociated chat from communication so you can be "online" and "in-game" with nobody knowing who you are.

Finally, by moving out-of-character chat to the channels, we're hoping in-game chat will remain more or less in-character, or at the very least, on-topic. Put another way, chat in the channels is between players. Chat in the chat window is between characters.

8/7/2015 9:23:19 PM #4

I’m sensing something similar to a time scaling cap?  Regardless, the family system sounds very intriguing.

8/7/2015 9:26:46 PM #5

Time based cap? The system is far more intelligent and awesome than that. :-)

8/7/2015 9:32:01 PM #6

I suddenly have images of female characters in very high demand early on all trying to pop out as many kids as possible. We know we have animal husbandry but we might have baby farming too! 

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

8/7/2015 9:32:15 PM #7

Haha awesome!

One other thing I've been wondering about, will player's characters have to be of a certain age to create a family, or will they be able to jump straight in on day one?

8/8/2015 3:49:14 AM #8

The answer to your question and more will be found in our upcoming Dev Journal. Keep your eyes out these next few days ;)

-Miguel

\[T]/

8/8/2015 6:04:29 AM #9

Just doing a spot of fishing haha ;-)

I'm looking forward to reading up on families.

8/9/2015 7:07:36 PM #10

What is the difference between a Family and a Dynasty?

Will you have brothers, sisters, cousins, 2nd/3rd cousins, nieces, uncles, etc..? 

8/9/2015 7:23:57 PM #11

We will be going into detail regarding Families and Dynasties on Monday, in our Dev Journal :) 

Yes, you will have all of those things. Your in-game family is just like a real life family, so you're going to have all the relatives you normally would have.

-Miguel

\[T]/

8/9/2015 7:44:46 PM #12

Animal husbandry? Baby farming? slowly steps back..... i feel sorry for those baby's

8/9/2015 7:47:17 PM #13

I have a feeling this game could pretty much be Crusader Kings 2 but 3D lol. 

8/9/2015 7:49:31 PM #14

You got me hyped man. MAKE IT MASSIVE. I WANNA KEEP READING UNTIL NEXT DEV JOURNAL.

8/9/2015 7:52:09 PM #15

IRL I have combine over 180 cousins (2nd/3rd/4th) you would find that many of the active players could be related to each other in one form or another.