COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Thieves & Assassins Guilds

I've just started going to the forums and haven't caught up on all the update yet, so please forgive me if this is a double post.

So, I've had this in my head for a while. Are people considering making thieves guilds or assassins guilds? I kind of like the idea of being able to go into some high profile character's house and steal their money, but I'm not sure how this is viewed by the community. Same thing with an assassins guild. Actively killing a player and making sure they die once is a pretty big deal. I understand the role-playing aspect of sending an assassin to a high profile target and eliminating them in a power struggle or something, but is this considered okay or a possible form of trolling? People payed good money to have important roles.

You might not actually want to brag about it, but I think it would be cool to assassinate a king or queen. You would become a legend. Or you could just rot in a dungeon cell.

8/2/2016 4:27:52 PM #1

It's practically a game feature, so while people might be frustrated, it's a part of life (especially for nobles in politics) and it isn't really trolling.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few assassin/thieves guilds, but everyone tends to want to mingle all of them into one edgy puddle of crime. It'd be nice to see more nuanced options.

Like for example, a thieves guild who has a rule of 'no killing'.

8/2/2016 4:37:09 PM #2

I like the idea of a thieves guild rule to not kill. Where's the finesse? I also like the idea of a code of honor like "You belong to the thieves guild in Town A, thus it's against the rules to steal in Town A. Any stealing in Town A would be punishable in it's own way. Also, you must visit the thieves guild in any other town before you start looting."

8/2/2016 4:38:10 PM #3

Since I mentioned assassins guilds: Is there going to be poisons in game that you can apply to weapons?

EDIT: Just finished reading the crafting stuff. This seems entirely possible.

8/2/2016 5:29:05 PM #4

@ScreamsoftheDead Yes, there will be poisons you can apply to weapons. And well there are a few guilds out there that will have assassins, however some will be benign aligned, by that I mean, they will only take a contract and make a kill if it would be right to do it, say a lich has appeared, a vampire, an evil king, a war has started and they want us to take down the leader, things like that.

8/2/2016 7:34:25 PM #5

There are looooots of players wanting to be assassins. Just remember that getting caught for murder will lose you a lot of game time. It'll be a very, very hard job, but possibly quite rewarding if you can make a name for yourself.

Just don't expect it to be like Skyrim. :P

8/2/2016 9:33:14 PM #6

I really hope the assassin community dies down a bit, with that many out there, contracts would end up turning into a contest of who can do it first.

8/2/2016 10:18:52 PM #7

I think once people get in game, and realize how slow and tedious pulling off an actual assassination can be (hopefully), many will shift their focus.

If assassination was easy, or even moderate, then being a noble or someone important would be TOO dangerous. Also with the danger level to the assassin, I don't think Contracts will be common.

8/3/2016 6:02:41 AM #8

Most people will probably be scared out of assassination since failing could mean losing a lot of game time whether through being imprisoned or killed and would need to pay real money due to permanent death either with time that was wasted in prison or dying too much causing earlier death.

Give it until first year after release and most people will turn to blacksmithing or another profession but the ones who remain will go on to become legendary.

8/8/2016 1:38:17 AM #9

Posted By Dovakin at 10:29 AM - Tue Aug 02 2016

@ScreamsoftheDead Yes, there will be poisons you can apply to weapons. >... some will be benign aligned, by that I mean, they will only take a contract and make a kill if it would be right to do it...

Sounds perfectly reasonable.

8/8/2016 1:46:40 AM #10

Posted By Barghest at 12:34 AM - Tue Aug 02 2016

... getting caught for murder will lose you a lot of game time.

It's of course perfectly justifiable to lose game time by being thrown in jail. I would expect nothing less.

Posted By Tigari at 3:18 PM - Tue Aug 02 2016

I think once people get in game, and realize how slow and tedious pulling off an actual assassination can be (hopefully), many will shift their focus.

If assassination was easy, or even moderate, then being a noble or someone important would be TOO dangerous. Also with the danger level to the assassin, I don't think Contracts will be common.

I expect something like this to take time for it to work. I think that's part of what would make the process fun for the player/s doing the contract. I, for one, would be fine with this.

Posted By Reignmaker at 11:02 PM - Tue Aug 02 2016

... failing could mean losing a lot of game time whether through being imprisoned or killed and would need to pay real money due to permanent death either with time that was wasted in prison or dying too much causing earlier death.

I'm actually fine with this as well. Everyone can enjoy the way they want to play (and pay). I think if I died or got thrown in jail I would probably not return to being an assassin right away on a new character but maybe play something more relaxed.

I kind of want to see how easy combat and movement actually is before I try to commit to anything, though.

8/19/2016 9:59:38 AM #11

Curious on the topic of thieves and assasins. Is there a real prison that you can actually be in game and still play your character pacing back and forth in his cell? Or is prison a suspension from playing?

8/19/2016 10:27:13 AM #12

Posted By Azair at 10:59 AM - Fri Aug 19 2016

Curious on the topic of thieves and assasins. Is there a real prison that you can actually be in game and still play your character pacing back and forth in his cell? Or is prison a suspension from playing?

We do not know exactly at this point. The developers have spoken about there being a jail with actual things to do there so you could actually build on your story. However, it is not a fleshed out idea and when they last spoke about it, due to the stage of development, it was not a high priority to get that flesh put on the bones. So while it is likely we will see jails our characters actually go to it is not fully confirmed.

There are two sources for this, firstly for the idea and secondly clarification it is not fleshed out.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

8/20/2016 9:42:03 AM #13

Thank you for the reply and the links! Very informative!

8/21/2016 6:36:50 AM #14

Thanks for the info!

8/29/2016 9:51:11 AM #15

I'd imagine that if you were to kill a king or something along those lines, it would be incredibly difficult to break into their castle, let alone get past the guards and manage to murder them. It'd take a lot of skill.

I personally can't wait, and definitely will be roleplaying as both a thief and an assassin (though not both at once) - I've always wanted a game like this where you can form an Assassin's Guild and carry out assassinations on player characters for gold from other player characters. I'd love to start a country-wide network of highly-skilled assassins with the constant threat of the local Fighter's Guild uncovering our hideout and rooting all of us out.

Cannot wait.