COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
VoiceChat?

I am just wondering, will be voice chat? Of course, I mean within local perimeter.

11/7/2015 4:38:07 AM #1

Someone was saying this isn't decided upon, however can you imagine voice chat in COE when you're in a bar or crowded area?

11/7/2015 5:31:12 AM #2

I would love this! Crowded bars would literally be places of free exchange of talk, and anyone could listen in. If you couldn't get through on voice chat due to traffic you could just use regular text. But that's what a tavern should be when it's booming. loud and obnoxious

Alt text - can be left blank

11/7/2015 6:56:36 PM #3

Exactly! Supporting Voice would be probably the most immersive thing to do for user interaction.

11/7/2015 7:06:30 PM #4

No, no it would not. There is nothing less immersive than voice chat, hearing peoples real music, their heavy breathing, them yelling at their wife to stop the dog from barking, everything they say as if they are right next to me. It is horrid and nothing could be less immersive.

That is before we get into people playing a character than does not match their voice and the disconect that causes. It is before we talk about people who do not enjoy sharing their voice because they are worried about the reaction they get.

Voice chat is great for groups of friends. Voice chat is awful for groups of strangers.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

11/7/2015 7:22:24 PM #5

I think its a plus but have different radius of communication so that people hear you clear in crowded areas. Lets take this scenario im an assassin and I just sneaked into a castle and ran behind the king after succeeding in killing the guards and I want to say a catchy phrase or tell him my employer sends his regards but if I have to stop to type he will get his sword out and stab me. Its sadly a two way street but im sure there is a way to get the best of both.

11/7/2015 7:23:10 PM #6

Trust me Voip is not Immersive....it's a lot harder to roll play ...and just to put it out there trolls will be trolls! I can't tell you how many times I've heard Get Rekt Fagg*t ...or some other form of harassment that can't be monitored. Voip ruins RP games....plus when a shit ton of people are talking at once you have no idea whats going on and all you hear is people screaming! Victoria is right! If you want a voip do it over TS where it can be controlled.

11/7/2015 7:23:21 PM #7

Have you heard of copy and paste or text macros?

Oh goodness please let there be text macros!

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

11/7/2015 7:26:15 PM #8

Go play reign of kings and see how awesome voip is! ..Come back and post your experience after being called ni*er and Faggt over and over. Not cool

11/7/2015 9:14:24 PM #9

No current plan for VoIP integration. CoE specifically differentiates between the player and the character through identities, as discussed in this week's DJ.

Introducing VoIP in-box once again unites the two. We want people to chat with their RL friends, their family members, etc... but we feel there's already great tools out there for people to use for that communication and we'd rather spend our development resources on systems that can't be downloaded elsewhere.

11/7/2015 9:18:32 PM #10

A perfectly understandable approach considering how many other things can be used to voice chat.

Alt text - can be left blank

11/7/2015 10:15:05 PM #11

awesome! Thats what I like to hear ;)

11/8/2015 3:15:43 AM #12

Too bad. I was really hoping for that.

11/8/2015 7:55:20 PM #13

Given the amount of choices (TS, Vent, Skype, etc) i never use in-game voice chat options :P

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p795/SilDarklight/Chronicles%20of%20Elyria/Forum/Sigs/Luccheno%20600x100altzpsuev3knqe.jpg

11/8/2015 9:47:32 PM #14

A bit of speculation & a question.

Local in-game voice chat can be such a double-edged sword. On one hand we can experience immersion-breaking, from mere annoyances to disgustingly hateful vitriol, while on the other hand there is nothing more immersive than calling out to the warrior and mage next to you that the keep is being infiltrated from the sewers and you need an impromptu fireteam to help avert certain disaster....

Is it possible for the game to provide external hooks to the popular VoIP clients that provide localization information?

That ability, coupled with perhaps a friends list, would allow us to have our cake and eat theirs too ;)

^ my first post =) What you folks at Soulborn Studios are attempting is inspiring - catching up on the devblogs i was shaking my head in admiration and smiling all the way through. May your endeavor be blessed by auspicious stars.

12/16/2015 10:36:38 PM #15

not everybody has the money to buy a Teamspeak server and some people are better at speaking in English or their native language than they are at writing it

to me every possible way to improve communication is recommended if I had the money to make the game I would make sure every form of communication be available