COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Map

Can we get the old map back? At anything other than continental zoom, this map is worse and less informative, and it gets worse with every zoom. Previously shown features are completely obscured. Try to find a waterfall on this map. It’s a mess.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

3/13/2020 7:11:35 AM #1

I completely disagree. This map provides way more information than the previous as well as elevations in the terrains. The previous maps can still be viewed in each server general forum section. I would prefer to keep this map as the domains map.

3/13/2020 8:06:08 AM #2

Yeah... this map is one giant blur to me. It's like it hasn't loaded or something. Looking at the Hrothi region, the mountains aren't in focus. This seems to be a massive downgrade. At kingdom level is looks awesome, anything closer it. Hell no.

3/13/2020 8:12:18 AM #3

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 07:11 AM - Fri Mar 13 2020

I completely disagree. This map provides way more information than the previous as well as elevations in the terrains. The previous maps can still be viewed in each server general forum section. I would prefer to keep this map as the domains map.

Do you have a different map than us? ;)

Time to make my first non positive post since kickstarter.

I sit in multiple channels with a wide range of different people from Kings, Dukes, Counts, Mayors, roleplayers, individuals, hardcore pvpers, traders and crafters. I've not heard a single positive comment about the map.

Here's a selection of comments from different discord channels with peoples names removed:

"map is awful though"

"Yeah. Same for me. But the map is horrible. At least from my mobile"

"just a dull green with nothing"

"Is crap. Nothing to see. The graphic is getting worse by the day. Lord have mercy..."

"a lot of the roads disappeared too. A friend was looking at a village which just lost some of its connecting road. The main road is there still so hopefully they're just not showing the smaller roads"

"And people should buy domains based on what? Is embarrassing... I will not try to convince anyone"

"Map is horrible"

"Yeh, feels more basic."

Those comments are all from backers including people very supportive and positive. But to sum up my own view - its far less detailed at county level which is the most valuable level for anyone buying a holding. The Kingdom and Duchy maps are far less important as travel distances are so long. My own double county is literally just a dull green - everything like grasslands, small roads, bridges etc has been removed. It is simply not fit for purpose of picking holdings when you're spending real money. I can't understand why they would showcase this for the event as its a major step backwards qualitatively.

Edit: Its like they designed a map for the 5 people on each server who will be kings as kingdom view is the only improvement.

Count Darothar, Bleak Ark

3/13/2020 8:18:01 AM #4

How we will attract new players from this map? I am speechless.

3/13/2020 8:23:29 AM #5

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 08:11 AM - Fri Mar 13 2020

The only thing currently showing on the map is elevation and waterways. There isnt any other information there. How is this better?

The only good thing is said elevation. and then only on the continental and kingdom level. more zoomed in its to smudged to make anything out.

3/13/2020 8:23:33 AM #6

To be honest, I didn't think I would ever miss the old stylized maps, but now I do.

On a continental or kingdom scale, the new maps look good, but as was mentioned by other people those are the ones that matter the least for people to make a decision to buy something. My county just looks like a green smudge, with next to no information. New maps just look atrocities.

Water looks good though, so that's something I guess...

Kernothia

3/13/2020 8:38:26 AM #7

I'll just echo what's been said already for emphasis, the new maps look great especially at Kingdom level and I really like the attention given to the waterways.

However the level of detail we now have is inferior to what we already had, perhaps there's a valid reason why SBS have taken the direction they have with the maps.

But after the journey we had to get the old maps to the point where the vast majority were happy with them, this seems a little odd.

3/13/2020 8:39:02 AM #8

I can only agree with all my fellow sufferers. When I read that we might get a more detailed map I was so curious about how my county is actually gonna look like. Are the rivers connected, are the hills flat or how does the overall landscape look like? Now that I've seen it, I wand the old maps back since they showed much more detail and were nicer to look at.

I do not want to throw shade but how am I supposed to convince my friends of CoE with this...

3/13/2020 8:46:44 AM #9

Agree with previous comments. This new map is step backwards.

Surely the whole point of SoE map is to make people feel a connection with a particular location? i.e. to try to imagine the geography of the place, resource, roads etc... and then spend money on claiming it. Without a certain level of detail the counties/settlement areas are just lifeless blobs.

It's like you've revamped a shop by repackaging all products in brown paper bags.

3/13/2020 9:02:05 AM #10

+1 here. Good on kingdom level. Terrible beyond it... please give an option to get old style back if not revert the maps completely.

3/13/2020 11:18:51 AM #11

So first map positives:

• At the kingdom and duchy level, the map looks much better than the formerly stylised maps.

• The current map is very good for height and water. I've only looked at the Selene map so far but seeing actual mountain ranges in the north and flat-topped mesas in the desert are more appealing to me than the stylised maps.

• The infoboxes look and feel better to me, the information shown appears more clearly laid out and easier to access.

• The loading overlay looks pretty good (which since you'll be seeing a lot of it is an important factor)

• Tutorial isn't bad and for any newbies, I guess it'll be useful.

Now for map negatives:

• At the county level, all the good looks of the maps and the information about heights etc just disappears into a blob. You can still sort of make out height differences but it's not as clear as at the ducal or kingdom levels.

• Map drops connection for me every so often - not good if you're trying to sell people on an MMO if your game's map can't even hold multiple connections.

• Apparently every bridge has been knocked down cause they're no longer rendered. I suspect this is deliberate but for the life of me, I can't think why as settlement owners will certainly know what state local bridges are in.

Overall at the upper levels, I think the new map works but at the county level, it's objectively a worse map. I get that SBS wants to hide stuff so that there is a 'joy of discovery' but if you're trying to sell a game to new people (which should be the point of SoE) you need to provide them with something slightly better looking at the levels that they're going to be purchasing (i.e. county and settlement).

Coming Soon(tm)

3/13/2020 1:18:51 PM #12

Will buy king tier pledge for old map back.

I don't know anymore.

3/13/2020 3:08:34 PM #13

The old map was just a drawing on a piece of paper. Maybe this map has more information, if it wasn't so blurry. I think the satellite is out of focus :)

3/13/2020 3:16:04 PM #14

The old map was just a drawing on a piece of paper. Maybe this map has more information, if it wasn't so blurry. I think the satellite is out of focus :)

3/13/2020 3:29:59 PM #15