COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
SHINY DAY (11/22/2019) - Let's Check the Replay!

Hail Elyrians!

It's a rare Friday shiny this week! I promised I'd show you all some video of the stuff folks were working on right now, but sadly my schedule was all sorts of jammed up yesterday, so I had to do some after hours recording... but hopefully you'll agree that it's worth the wait!

WIP Traversal Video 2 (Click the image to see the video)

That's it for this week's shiny everyone; stay shiny!

• Snipehunter
11/26/2019 1:58:25 PM #46

Posted By ZeroCool at 05:10 AM - Tue Nov 26 2019

Posted By Lord_Greystoke at 02:03 AM - Mon Nov 25 2019

Oh, be still my beating heart- we got a top-down map with icons that look like they were coded by a 6th grader.

Not getting involved in insulting anyone's intelligence here but just thought I'd point out that the world maps have data generated for every 4m², so that's over 500 million data points for each map, ok maybe less for OCE.

Within each of those data points you have a ton of variables; altitude, minerals, flora, fauna, soil type and associated values, the list I'm sure goes on and on. It was no small feat to accomplish this.

Posted By Drudge at 10:35 PM - Mon Nov 25 2019

The part I never understood was whether the worlds created on the DSS maps now exist or not. By that I mean, can we move around on them, walk through the landscape, through the towns.

Unfortunately I think it's the latter, I'd imagine they could instance certain areas to show us around in the low poly client but I highly doubt the maps exist as whole even as a wireframe. Mostly I guess the heavy lifting is with the settlements and set pieces (important scenes linked to story).

Even accounting for the work we will do in Expo to build out there needs to be a starter. Also, there are now many more larger Capitols and Cities, more work here.

The starter settlements all need to be in place for the Beta's (conjecture) so that's a lot of work and I'm not sure how they can accomplish this without the cookie cutter effect.

Settlements need to look natural, they need to fit in to their surrounding. But with only 14% (looking at Selene) of settlements claimed that still leaves 1000's. Likely to reduce a little or a lot post Settlers. Curating 10 - 15,000 settlements (all four servers) by hand is not possible.

One idea I had was to allow settlement holders to place all the initial buildings for their settlement using something like the architecture tool.

I see the interface showing you maybe a 400 parcel plot (1280m x 1280m i.e. 20 parcels by 20 parcels) with the settlement centred, or the same thing but in the Prelyria client. Or both.

This idea could then be extended to a community event. Any settlements not claimed could be offered to players to build the initial settlement using a SBS created tool and rules set forth based on the professions and types of industry.

This could be another use for IP. Those with the highest IP are offered to build a random settlement but nothing near their own, doesn't even need to be on their server. They can of course decline and so a spot opens up for lower IP tiers.

Probably best to keep the actual location secret to avoid any foul play but the tool should ensure that you can't really bork it.

Sorry I kind of derailed a bit there.

Some threads need a bit of derailing when they start going down hill so thanks for bringing some good insight.

I'm think the DSS data could be used to generate a test region if they chose to, but probably still more work to be done before an entire world could really be generated.

I like your ideas for placement of initial buildings by settlement holders, assuming the interface to do can be created without too much difficulty.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

11/26/2019 2:42:46 PM #47

Posted By Lord_Greystoke at 12:58 AM - Tue Nov 26 2019

You are assuming just because I don't give your troll posts the validation you are craving, that somehow equates I don't pay attention to SBS, a company I have given over $800 in hopes they succeed. You give yourself too much importance.

Also, 'trolling' and 'personal attacks' with non-relevant posts as you are doing is against COC and I'm going to kindly ask you to stop. Thank you.

Saying you're too lazy to read something isn't an attack, it's an observation based on your actions and my responses are relevant since they're challenging your misunderstanding and misconceptions of the games development stage and anyone spouting false allegations that the studio isn't doing anything should be challenged on such allegations.

If you have nothing positive to say then don't say it is a relevant saying here, you donated money to a project in the hopes it would come to fruition, coming online and whining about the devs and state of development does not achieve anything, it does not help the devs and does not speed up the process of the games development, so do tell me what it is you think you are achieving by complaining about the game/studio? it's especially troubling because your accusations come from not paying attention to the information previously released.

All you are doing is creating a negative atmosphere here, you're not adding anything of substance, not helping the games development in any way and that IMO is the true trolling going on around here, so pack it in.

11/26/2019 9:47:52 PM #48

Nothing embarrasing looking about it at all. Looking like its shaping up really well. Sure there will be bugs, tweaks and changes, but the engine is shaping up :)

11/26/2019 10:10:03 PM #49

Posted By SilkyBazaar at 12:04 AM - Tue Nov 26 2019

Posted By Neurotoxin at 06:30 AM - Tue Nov 26 2019

Posted By SilkyBazaar at 05:53 AM - Mon Nov 25 2019

Just an absolute F@#$ing NO, I signed up for an MMORPG that players actions will have a lasting effect on the world not some crap Super Mario bullshit tablet game.

Why can't an MMO have dynamic movement? I have hated that games are far behind D&D with a DM, always have been. In pretty much every TTRPG in existence, I can elect to attempt to climb a wall, slide under a gap, or balance across a narrow beam so I don't fall in the muck.

I dread the idea of another game being built with a dynamic world, but we can only interface with it as a lowly capsule collider.

Because some of us are old, some of us have disabilities, some have high ping, some are all of the above, not everyone who plays every game is a fast twitch esport king with low ping but the opinions of those who are, keep trying to force every MMO into being a First Person combat and movement game prevents a lot of others being able to compete no matter how well they develop their character, because the 30 year old kiddies still living with mummy say everything has to be key mashing skill based.

You can have a lasting impact on the game world without needing to involve yourself in activities with dynamic movement. Leadership and politics will have the biggest influence on this game and most of it just requires a voice and a discord channel.

11/27/2019 2:12:12 AM #50

Thanks for sharing, Snipe. Please don't work too much on these animations, keep that for the actual release client ;)

11/27/2019 10:19:34 AM #51

Posted By Kyleran at 2:58 PM - Tue Nov 26 2019

(...)I'm think the DSS data could be used to generate a test region if they chose to(...)

I seriously doubt that. I'm going to use the 4m² figure ZeroCool mentioned, which means there's a lot more data points to generate before you have the information required for the actual terrain mesh (not to mention the 7 additional layers).

Posted By Stormbreaker at 3:42 PM - Tue Nov 26 2019

(...)coming online and whining about the devs and state of development does not achieve anything, it does not help the devs and does not speed up the process of the games development, so do tell me what it is you think you are achieving by complaining about the game/studio?(...)

While the 'tone' could be chosen different, the statement as such (discontent and confusion with the displayed progress) could potentially be beneficial to the studio. He's far from the only person to mention this concern and there's way more people sharing that sentiment outside this forum. It's a clear hint at a problem with communication and frankly, I can understand people who aren't programmers themselves when they are being confused with what is being shown to them. Take these three videos ( Silver mine demo, Parkour 1, Parkour/Combat 2 ) from more than two years ago and compare them to the current video. If one is unaware of these three videos running 'locally' and on the intense, incredible workload required to create not only a load balancing server, but a physics engine that can cope with the specific requirements (needs to be fast enough, should require as little server CPU as possible, but has to avoid relaying on client-sided computation), while still presenting a 'fluid' looking movement and state changes, it is easy to misunderstand the visuals as 'regress' instead of 'progress' ( fun article on the problem, but with a far easier solution of client sided authentication ). That is, not to mention the additional functionality (different sized and shaped characters having a different performance in parkour) and an UI redesign. To cut a long story short, while I'm painfully aware that SBS is very tight and short on manpower and resources, it could prove beneficial for the outside image of the company to spend a little more time explaining this when presenting such footage, similar to explaining the concept and benefits of greybox testing with low fidelity assets, simply because you must not expect people to be aware of these. And when people are unaware, they are naturally going to draw conclusions from their empiric knowledge.

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

12/4/2019 8:50:34 AM #52

"Sup, Otterbear?" hah. Testing looks so good. (Not gray boxes!) "I need to manage my energy." Going to use that next time I need Zzzz... ;)

Map H --because one word "Nessie." Do you want an inland sea? Well, do ya?

12/13/2019 8:03:41 AM #53

@Lord_Greystoke, @Stormbreaker.

I propose the both of you either stop this discussion or take it elsewhere instead of hijacking this shiny post.

Thanks.

12/13/2019 11:20:07 AM #54

Posted By Ikkerens at 03:03 AM - Fri Dec 13 2019

I propose the both of you either stop this discussion or take it elsewhere instead of hijacking this shiny post.

Thanks.

Err, their last post on this thread was over two weeks ago.

I think it has all run its course now....onwards to the bigger and better surprises Caspian promised for next week.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

12/13/2019 11:32:53 AM #55

Posted By Kyleran at 10:20 PM - Fri Dec 13 2019

Posted By Ikkerens at 03:03 AM - Fri Dec 13 2019

Thanks.

Err, their last post on this thread was over two weeks ago.

I think it has all run its course now....onwards to the bigger and better surprises Caspian promised for next week.

Ahh good, it wasn't just me that was confused.