COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
The Future is Parliament.

Let me explain, I do not mean, elected MPs nope, I mean those that have the power to grant CB being the de facto parliament of their higher ups. More the 1200s UK version of Parliament.

Kingdom Level- The parliament will be the Dukes/Duchesses, without them consenting to a law/treaty by the King/Queen there is a reasonable chance that war could break out, since if the King/Queen is not doing what is in their best interest or even counter to their interests, then there is no incentive for them to protect the King/Queens power.

Dutchy Level- The tier II Parliament will be basically the Counts, for much the same reason as they must be kept contempt with the laws and such that are being passed by the Dukes/Duchesses because if it goes counter to the majority of the counts there is no reason for them to remain loyal, especially if it is counter to their interests.

County Level- The Tier III parlament is slightly different, technically they only need 1/3 plus 1 support for any legislation since it takes 2/3 to CB, but nonetheless if they do not feel their needs/interests are being met they will simply revolt.

Conclusion Parliament is the easy way out of taking blame you get to say they passed it not myself, and you guarantee that those who can affect your power in a direct way are happy, a stable kingdom is a peaceful kingdom. A peaceful kingdom keeps you in power.

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

10/20/2019 3:07:08 AM #1

I rather not.

10/20/2019 3:06:49 PM #2

This is the underlying power structure regardless of how laws are passed. Its not necessary to formalise it, although i understand the intent.

Regardless of who is officially passing laws, a unified group or a single ruler, a King/Queen always has to concern themselves with the opinions of their Dukes/Duchesses, and likewise every dominion holder has to concern themselves with the opinions of those within.

10/20/2019 5:30:30 PM #3

It won't work in a game that requires instant reactions to situations. Unless perhaps sbs builds a mobile app that lets you move your character to the location a vote is being held to cast a vote at all hours. If democratic setups worked in PvP games you'd see them in wide use elsewhere, but you don't because they're too slow to react.

10/20/2019 5:30:33 PM #4

Beware anyone telling you what "the future" is going to be like. I would disagree that this is actually a description of how Magna Carta era noble politics worked, it is closer to a textbook description. Some kingdoms are seeking to put together something like what you are talking about. But even if this is a possible future that we could see on the map somewhere, it will be accompanied by many other futures exercised by other kingdoms including true feudalism (which the game mechanics push us toward, appropriately) and duchies or even counties becoming petty kingdoms.

Much of this will be dependent upon individual leader personalities and success. A likeable, successful autocrat will benefit his people and gain their support. An unlikeable, unsuccessful autocrat (like King John) will spark calls for rebellion and decentralization. One can argue that the latter will eventually happen and therefore politics will eventually naturally evolve away from strict feudalism, but I think that is far too simplistic and ignores the strong possibility of drift back in the other direction (e.g. Cromwell).

And it further ignores that this is a game. The most important issue will likely occur out of the game, as nobles and mayors decide to play something else or just get busy rl and become absentee. We are already seeing secessions due to this issue since the original kingdoms were purchased 2-3 years ago and more will occur over the ca. 2 years until launch, and then afterward as some are unhappy with the game.

10/21/2019 2:15:11 AM #5

Really depends on the player "culture" of CoE. If the game pushes players to be more individualistic and self-interested - this type of political 'balance' where rulers have to please powerful subordinates is possible. However, it could also very easily be taken over by powerful monolithic player organizations where everyone plays for the common good, or the common good of the organization.

10/21/2019 3:43:38 AM #6

Burn the heretic!