COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Animal Breeding and Training

It's great that SBS had so many new animals in the KS Anniversary, but we really don't know anything about breeding and training of the animals yet. How long will each species live? What are their natural habitat requirements for keeping them happy and healthy? What does each species eat? What are the breeding requirements for each type? How do we train them? What type of tools are needed?

We have nothing to work with yet and SBS really needs to start getting more information out there for things like this. And they really can't say "well these are things you need to research and discover..." because that doesn't work in this case since breeding and training are listed as professions which means we would already know these things as part of those jobs.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

10/17/2019 9:08:49 AM #1

I agree on the details. We don't have much. But I think it's to early for that anyway. There is a whole lot to read here:

https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/AnimalHusbandry#Howto_Tame

10/17/2019 9:58:19 AM #2

Well, it's really not too much information. I'd love to seed a DJ about this. I am really excited about this topic.

Imgur

10/17/2019 10:07:34 AM #3

I'm fine with being told the details of how animal-related professions generally work, with the types of tools they might use, skills they'd branch into (like trapping or medical skills), and a mock example of trapping, taming, and breeding on an animal everyone can already easily find info on (like a horse), but I definitely don't want specific information on most of the sold animals. No other profession has that kind of deep information given to us. At best, other professions have surface-level details given out, intentionally so, to let us know what we're getting into, but not to bottle-feed us. Even so, I haven't seen a description on an animal so far that I couldn't work with and make plans around.

Information makes up like 80% of animal-related skills. It's a skill where you're being paid for your knowledge. Once you have comprehensive information on animals, even someone who isn't trained properly could place down a trap in an appropriate location with appropriate bait and snag an animal. Anyone could put two animals in a breeding environment they prefer and have a snowballing cycle of animals. No other profession would be nearly as threatened by having that kind of knowledge casually thrown out.

These are all things we should be figuring out in game. It has nothing to do with research, but it does have to do with discovery. There's no obligation for them to give us comprehensive rundowns on everything about animals when you're meant to learn these things from someone who already does it in game, or figure them out for yourself.

For the most part, we should only be given the absolute essentials. If an animal can't survive in a certain climate, we should know. If an animal has specific, important traits, like the Trollmouth Salamander not producing the main enzyme you buy it for when it's domesticated/in captivity, we should know that. And for the most part, we absolutely have been given that information. Everything else should be "buy at your own discretion". It's not like you're obligated to spawn them in immediately, so you can afford to wait until you've learned everything necessary in game and then set up their habitats.

Things like their specific housing conditions, lifestyle, food, breeding requirements, training methods, associated tools, etc, should all be left up for the general public to discover through in-game means. We shouldn't be given a comprehensive guide on how to tame and train most of the things we'll be seeing before we're even in game, which is effectively what you're asking for.

10/17/2019 3:21:27 PM #4

Not really, I'm asking for SBS to give us more information about the professions and I'm using Breeding and Training as examples since this was a topic of discussion in one of the Discords I'm active in. Like most of the professions, we have little to no real information and SBS really need to step it up and start thinking about these things. Most people are already thinking about their roles within the Counties there in and we simply lack even the most basic information on professions.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

10/17/2019 3:45:03 PM #5

Well until genetics is available breeding is pretty straightforward.

Even selective breeding only requires you know what traits you're breeding for or looking to breed out

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

10/17/2019 4:34:28 PM #6

To be honest, I'm not sure what they could give at this point. We have intent, but the transition from intent to mechanics is a long and arduous journey.

Your asking for specifics that don't exist yet, and SBS is very cautious about making hard confirmations on future mechanics as it becomes hard to adjust in case changes need to be made.

SBS is thinking of these things, and the discussions that revolved around materials, professions, and population during the Map Generation earlier this year, are proof of this. However, the next step forward with specific pacing, timing, and granular mechanics isn't fleshed out enough for a public statement.

Believe me, as the Mayor of the animal training capital of Elyria (Luna) (#obvious advertisement) I am curious as well.

10/17/2019 9:50:14 PM #7

Well, to be honest, I don't know how far the design of the taming/breeding profession has progressed. Also the past DJ's gave us enough information to gain more insight, while being general enough to not be cornered.

I'd like to know what is the general idea of the 3 steps to your tamed animal:

• Catching a live animal

While it has been mentioned that there are traps, it's hard to imagine how to trap a big animal (eg: Ursuphant, etc).

• Breeding an animal

(In some cases to be more docile)

• Taming an animal

Until now it's only suspected that music is a way to do it, but I doubt that this is the only way.

Imgur