COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
More information needed: recipes and rare ingredients

So finally we got our recipes! Yay! But pretty all we got is descriptions...

I'm asking devs to share a bit more information about recipes and rares. How they actually work? Snipe mentioned that all ingredients are changeable to common materials. Like using generic leather instead of leatherfish's leather. How much worse the end product is when using generic materials only for example? Or is there crafter experience level requirements - only for master crafters? Can we copy these recipes, are they one use only or do they decay after using them?

Another thing I would like to know is the true rarity of the materials. In one thread Snipe mentioned that finding one Bonegrass is like "1 stalk of bonegrass in every billion blades of other grass". Can we use ingredients for other things than just the recipes we got? Ferrum for swords for example?

Currently people are trading ingredients and recipes quite blind, just expectations and assumptions... I, as probably many others, would like to know how good the materials really are and how the recipes are expected to work.

Everything is still subject to change, but would be nice to know a bit more than what we can read from item descriptions. Thanks!

PS. Wasn't really expecting recipes which all need 3 rares... Was hoping for one rare per recipe + some common materials. Anyway, this is what we got...

Backer #12. Friend code: 9B7EDE.

Kypiq mayor of Willowhaven - Crossstone - Whiteraven Rock - Tryggr

Join Whiteraven Rock Discord (https://discord.gg/ppTBAqs)

10/16/2019 7:14:23 PM #1

Would be nice to verify but it would make sense if you do not use the rare materials, you don't get their special property of the rare goods. You can use normal cotton to make the rare pillow, but it would just be a normal pillow. At least, that make sense in my mind.

10/16/2019 8:20:44 PM #2

i imagine, that without the leatherfish for the bag for example, it would not be waterproof, and extensive water exposure would do to it, what that does to normal leather IRL, degrade it.

10/16/2019 9:03:38 PM #3

As a follow up I'm curious if listed items is everything we need for recipe or they might require some extra common materials that are not listed.

Also how much can we expect to get from Gumputty and Trekker's Tonic? I know everything eventually wears down and breaks, but do we get 1 use of tonic or putty per ingredients acquired? or we can expect to get 5-10 or more uses?

10/16/2019 11:12:53 PM #4

zero has been said about how much of the consumables are produced per run.

and some of the recipes say in them that they require other common materials, only one that seems like it could possibly not require more common ingredients is the rods, and even then, id bet there is something.

10/16/2019 11:39:08 PM #5

It was stated on Discord that each recipe would require 1 of each rare listed to make the item.

Divide et Impera

10/18/2019 12:52:30 PM #6

Serpentius🌩Last Tuesday at 6:16 PM @ArokVaar (Parok) confirmed: 1 ingredient per request, so if a recipe calls for 3 ingredients, it is one of each.

Backer #12. Friend code: 9B7EDE.

Kypiq mayor of Willowhaven - Crossstone - Whiteraven Rock - Tryggr

Join Whiteraven Rock Discord (https://discord.gg/ppTBAqs)

10/18/2019 1:41:23 PM #7

What I’d like to know is if the rockfruit seeds can be cultivated... 😀

Just another fish in the sea of humannity...

Mayor Mikkal Rodsild of Sildby - Brudvir Tribe

County of Raumsdalr - Grand Duchy of Erzhalden - Kingdom of Vornair - NA-E Luna

10/19/2019 12:54:20 PM #8

Also curious about the ingredients and recipes, most of my questions already stated here

Mainly wondering if we can get some more through the EP store or if this is all there is until the "distant lands" where those are supposedly available are released and reachable.

Shroud to The Covenant of the Veil

10/19/2019 1:07:07 PM #9

Any extra useful information would be very appreciated, even if the KSV is quickly passing us by.

10/19/2019 2:54:49 PM #10

R3dh3rr1ng I believe snipehunter said The rock fruit seed can be planted, however your ability to understand how and where will determine if it actually grows.

I thought that the difference between a recipe using common and rare ingredients was the rare status of the item, which is 20x times the cost of a regular item using regular ingredients, and is of legendary (artifact) status. Not sure how the scaleing goes when it comes to how much more useful the item will be but if an ingredient is rare then it has to be at least 20x harder to get then the regular item. An example of this is the bone grass that does grow wild but is WAY more unlikely to find then regular grass at the ratio of a billion to one (from snipehunter, though this might have been an example and not a hard number) https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/33973/bonegrass

Hope this helps!

Luna server. Brudvir, Mayor/Shipwright/Lumberjack/Hunter. Kingdom Vornair, Duchy Dawn's Reach, county Penhook Bridge, Town: Amber Harbor, Currently, have 2500 EP at my disposal to develop my business. Friend Code: AB0DD0

10/19/2019 10:11:15 PM #11

Posted By Zairick at 10:54 AM - Sat Oct 19 2019

R3dh3rr1ng I believe snipehunter said The rock fruit seed can be planted, however your ability to understand how and where will determine if it actually grows.

I thought that the difference between a recipe using common and rare ingredients was the rare status of the item, which is 20x times the cost of a regular item using regular ingredients, and is of legendary (artifact) status. Not sure how the scaleing goes when it comes to how much more useful the item will be but if an ingredient is rare then it has to be at least 20x harder to get then the regular item. An example of this is the bone grass that does grow wild but is WAY more unlikely to find then regular grass at the ratio of a billion to one (from snipehunter, though this might have been an example and not a hard number) https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/33973/bonegrass

Hope this helps!

Got a source for that snipehunter quote on the rockfruite?

10/21/2019 10:01:49 AM #12

Posted By Zairick at 4:54 PM - Sat Oct 19 2019

Hope this helps!

Glad you see the rarity in a similar way like x20 as shown in the wiki, with a billion to one statement from Snipehunter being a slight exaggeration.

Still does not answer if the recipe itself would be seen as rare/legendary, the only word to describe it was in the KSversary news stating it is "exclusive".

Your reply made me consider that every recipe would be of common quality and in the end only the materials used would matter. So just like we cannot purchase mythical walls (made of unobtanium) there may be a limit to the quality rating of blueprints, patterns, recipes and techniques.

10/21/2019 12:27:04 PM #13

Posted By Sareseras at 03:01 AM - Mon Oct 21 2019

Posted By Zairick at 4:54 PM - Sat Oct 19 2019

Hope this helps!

Glad you see the rarity in a similar way like x20 as shown in the wiki, with a billion to one statement from Snipehunter being a slight exaggeration.

Still does not answer if the recipe itself would be seen as rare/legendary, the only word to describe it was in the KSversary news stating it is "exclusive".

Your reply made me consider that every recipe would be of common quality and in the end only the materials used would matter. So just like we cannot purchase mythical walls (made of unobtanium) there may be a limit to the quality rating of blueprints, patterns, recipes and techniques.

Im not sure where this "20x harder to get" idea came from but it appears to be a misinterpretation of the EP cost multiplier for rare items.

Rare items being 20x is a combination of this original EP post here that gives you the multipliers, and this one here that splits the list into quality and rarity instead of just having 1 catch all list.

Long version short, if something is rare but is on another continent it isnt 20x harder to find, it will be infinitely harder to find as we cannot reach the other continents at launch.

If bonegrass only grows in specific temperate bands, in only grasslands, and is 1 in 1 million/billion or w.e. then its not 20x more difficult to get, its as difficult to get as it is to find this specific grassland biome and then stumble upon that 1 in a million grass.

10/22/2019 1:25:20 PM #14

The if part is what annoys me most, as all the statements about the ingredients are so vague, that you cannot confirm if it is going to be extremely rare on the starting continent or completely unavailable.

Just a "nope, they are only from unavailable lands" would be sufficient, instead we have so much text that is just flavour with no definite answer.