COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Pre exposition settlement state

Hello all,

The "show us your domain" contest motivated many to dream about how we would like to have our settlements to look like. With the map at hand we could think about how we would set up things like our farms so they have access to fresh water or how to structure our buildings in such a way that we can defend from Intruders. Even cultural aspects of the tribes that form our settlements could be taken into account: do they live together or do they get segregated ? Do they share the resources available or do they have their own domains within the city? Even though most of it is still just speculation, we had the chance to dream ahead as we love to.

My question to the devs is: before exposition, will the settlements be totally generated by soul bounds engine / designers or do we have a chance to setup the infrastructure the way we envisioned before starting using EPs? I thought it could be possible for SB to define some kind of "settlement package" with a certain amount of buildings, roads length, wells based on the settlement and let us put them ourselves before buying more things with EP.

What's the plan? Thanks !

Elenion

10/15/2019 10:19:53 PM #1

I thought they already had been generated? Either way, they will be generated before expo and we cannot move any current buildings. Think of us during expo as previous mayors who made changes but had inherited things also.

10/15/2019 10:35:53 PM #2

They are pregenerated and already an operational settlement before we get them. I'd quote Caspian on it, but it's all in discord and they don't like discord quoted here.

10/16/2019 5:19:14 AM #3

If that's true it's a bit of a bummer although I wouldn't say makes me upset. I just think it would be even easier for all involved to let players to do things where they can...there would be more engagement, more satisfaction, less players unhappy with potential poor choices made by auto generation and more character for the cities. Also the algorithms to just allow one to build such amount of this and that based on population and resources available would probably have same basis as the automatic generation needs to do it, so there wouldn't be a prohibitive amount of extra work on the dev side.

Curious to know what you, fellow players, think the downsides would be for this approach. Still would like SB to comment as well :(

Elenion

10/16/2019 5:27:31 AM #4

SS knows what they're doing. If settlement layout were in our hands, I suspect you'd find many phallic-shaped communities possessing beautiful long, broad shafts... Erm streets. While I feel a little bit disenfranchised, it's probably best for them to make the things, and us to break them.

10/16/2019 5:40:35 AM #5

I believe the whole point is we are coming into these settlements as merely the latest occupants, the world is supposed to be ancient and we simply its most recent tenants.

10/16/2019 6:09:27 AM #6

If you look back at the 2016 forums @ www.forumsrdus.com, they stated that you needed to have a builder to make blueprints to shape your city/hamlet, that or pure BLACKMAGIC.

Here is a great way to look at it:

Not fearing blackmagic in CoE < Fearing blackmagic in CoE

You cannot have life without death. I create death, therefore I create life.