COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What are the advantages of Bureaucracy as primary industry?

Defense, production, specific industries, and gathering resources are pretty self-explanatory as primary industries. What can we expect from a settlement specializing in bureaucracy?

9/24/2019 8:23:30 PM #1

9/24/2019 8:27:02 PM #2

Probably gridlock. :)

But practically speaking, it could be a place from which diplomats and political leaders emerge.

9/24/2019 8:56:30 PM #3

the laws you dont want passed, wont get passed because of bureaucracy. for example, giving freedom to the peasants and such. you can say you tried your best. but alas those damn "bureacrats" got in the way of things

9/24/2019 8:57:02 PM #4

Stimulates the demand for paper and parchment.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

9/24/2019 8:58:16 PM #5

I would love to see an official comment on this as well, since government systems, and bureaucracy in general, is not something they have really discussed mechanics on, and isn't really intuitive compared to other industries.

Imgur

9/24/2019 10:12:37 PM #6

If your primary industry is bureaucracy you most likely have a lot of clerks in that settlement. It's a type of scribe profession. What they do exactly I dunno, but the type of scribes that handle contracts probably fall under that category, but there might be different type of office work beyond just that.

9/25/2019 12:00:04 AM #7

Actually, one of the reasons I ask is that there are no professions that I would associate with bureaucracy listed in either the top or notable lists for the settlement. No clerks, politicians, diplomats, quartermasters, judges, lawyers, attendants, tax collectors, surveyors, etc.

I'm wondering if it is the default when the settlement isn't good at anything. :)

9/25/2019 12:35:31 AM #8

Posted By Scorus at

Defense, production, specific industries, and gathering resources are pretty self-explanatory as primary industries. What can we expect from a settlement specializing in bureaucracy?

They tend to happen near borders, so they probably deal with import/export and border control, diplomacy, etc.

Also writing contracts, translating services, map making, researching, teaching, etc.

There's likely a lot of gameplay related to it.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

9/25/2019 12:47:59 AM #9

Posted By Scorus at 8:00 PM - Tue Sep 24 2019

Actually, one of the reasons I ask is that there are no professions that I would associate with bureaucracy listed in either the top or notable lists for the settlement. No clerks, politicians, diplomats, quartermasters, judges, lawyers, attendants, tax collectors, surveyors, etc.

I'm wondering if it is the default when the settlement isn't good at anything. :)

This is a legitimate concern, though with larger settlements, it may just be a numbers game.

Imgur

9/25/2019 2:52:21 AM #10

Posted By Marovec at 8:47 PM - Tue Sep 24 2019

This is a legitimate concern, though with larger settlements, it may just be a numbers game.

While it is now large, it was 110-150 before i expanded it. It is not in a border county. I'm open to the possibility that it is a coincidence and the requisite bureaucrats just didn't make the top 5 lists, but that seems like a big coincidence. Top: Fishermann, Hunter, Soldier, Constable, Merchant. Notable: Interpreter, Farmer, Author, Merchant, Stationer.

Interpreter and Stationer kinda track.

9/25/2019 4:07:58 AM #11

It also depends on whether the primary industry is the industry that is being the main focus among the population in a settlement OR if it's the most profitable industry in the settlement. If it's the latter then it could just as well be this one guy who happens to be making a killing selling deeds to moon parcels.

9/25/2019 4:28:50 AM #12

I can't tell you (because I don't know) what goes on in a Bureaucracy settlement, but I can say that the Top Professions that are more common in these settlements include Constable, Priest, and Merchant. More common Notable Professions include Author, Interpreter, Investigator, Judge, Monk, Politician, Spy, and Stationer.

It seems a reasonable guess that these Bureaucracy settlements represent both religious and civil bureaucracy, local government chambers, courthouses, etc.

9/25/2019 6:28:34 AM #13

As far as I see there are not that many settlements with this focus and this way maybe bureaucracy is really meant the way we know it. Basically a settlement where you have to move to make requests that are not tied to individuals or administrative bodies (nobles).

One example could be a guild registrar but I guess also a patent office or a library for law documents or a local residents' registration office could be possible.

If bureaucrats are not in the top5 might mean nothing as e.g. in a guild registrar you might just have one or two workers that are currently sorted into a more general category but still generate enough money to stand out the most.

Count of "Wulfsbargen" in the Duchy "Avaland" within the Kingdom "Tryggr". If not explicit mentioned the above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Duchy or Kingdom.

9/25/2019 3:57:12 PM #14

Good points here! Going off Huntsmaster's excellent points above, the most common professions in the 59 bureaucracy settlements are: Soldier - 44 Constable - 33 Diplomat - 33 Spy - 30 Merchant - 29 Animal Trainer - 26 Dungeoneer - 26 Performer - 26 Priest - 23

Note that I didn't remove duplicates, so if it was in both top and notables then it got counted twice.

Other professions that were likely more popular than average were author, interpreter, monk, stationer, guard, and officer.

So there seems to be a larger military, religious, and intellectual concentration.

9/25/2019 4:07:18 PM #15

Yeah, I have Hope's for what it means, and I can try to connect some dots, but still curious as to the impact of the "industry" (if there are any).

Like, will it make money off of hiring out lawyers?

For reference, my settlement was fairly large as base pop, and has the following professions:

Top Professions:

Constable Livestock Keeper Soldier Woodworker Trader

Notable Professions:

Dungeoneer Monk Animal Trainer Performer Librarian

They don't really scream "bureaucracy" to me.

Imgur