COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What Does It Mean to Pick a Hamlet or Village?

If a Mayor picks a Village or Hamlet and Villages and Hamlets don't have Mayors, what does that make the Mayor? A resident? A council member? What exactly is the player getting from their pick?

8/22/2019 4:34:08 AM #1

A village Elder with a majority vote when the elders decide the direction for the settlement.

Divide et Impera

8/22/2019 4:43:51 AM #2

Posted By Kerzic at

If a Mayor picks a Village or Hamlet and Villages and Hamlets don't have Mayors, what does that make the Mayor? A resident? A council member? What exactly is the player getting from their pick?

Here is a link that explains Village elders. http://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/6549/DJ-18-Kingdom--Land-Management

Divide et Impera

8/22/2019 4:56:28 AM #3

Yes, I understand there is a council of elders. What I'm looking for is confirmation and/or specifics on how and what kind of voting power the player can expect. If a Hamlet has 7 parcels, does the player get control of more than half of that (at least 4) and a majority vote that they'll always win? Or will the vote be more spread out so the player may have more vote weight than the others (2-3) but can't carry votes on their own (need 4+)?

Thanks for the answer.

8/22/2019 9:34:15 AM #4

Posted By Kerzic at 05:56 AM - Thu Aug 22 2019

Yes, I understand there is a council of elders. What I'm looking for is confirmation and/or specifics on how and what kind of voting power the player can expect. If a Hamlet has 7 parcels, does the player get control of more than half of that (at least 4) and a majority vote that they'll always win? Or will the vote be more spread out so the player may have more vote weight than the others (2-3) but can't carry votes on their own (need 4+)?

Thanks for the answer.

From what I remember from a QnA many, many moons ago it's closer to your second option. The settlement ruler (and this is in all cases not just for the hamlet and village) has enough land/voting rights to be the most powerful single voter with the rest being divided by the other landholders/voting right holders.

As an example - for your 7 parcel hamlet you might get 3 parcels while the other 4 are divided between 2-4 others. For larger settlements, this might mean you have 45% of the vote with another having 30% and another having 10% and two others having 5% each, or any combination there of.

Coming Soon(tm)

8/22/2019 10:34:52 AM #5

Posted By chipla at 11:34 AM - Thu Aug 22 2019

Thanks for the answer.

From what I remember from a QnA many, many moons ago it's closer to your second option. The settlement ruler (and this is in all cases not just for the hamlet and village) has enough land/voting rights to be the most powerful single voter with the rest being divided by the other landholders/voting right holders.

As an example - for your 7 parcel hamlet you might get 3 parcels while the other 4 are divided between 2-4 others. For larger settlements, this might mean you have 45% of the vote with another having 30% and another having 10% and two others having 5% each, or any combination there of.

So, just to get that right. As a Mayor, I controll the land. I put stuff up for grabs. If I keep the majority of the land there is no way to remove me from office short of a small revolution?

8/22/2019 1:50:30 PM #6

There are other ways, CBs, Appointment etc but those are should be much rarer than just using land too

8/22/2019 2:23:46 PM #7

There is no CB against a mayor or any gentry. CB are only aimed at Noble titles.

As an Elder the only way for you to lose your position is to not have the largest vote in the settlement.

As a mayor the only way is to be voted out by the settlement council ( or to become a traitor to your count and be chased out of the settlement and stripped of the position)

To answer the OP, If an Aristocrat select a settlement smaller than a town ( a Village a Hamlet) it will stop to be an Aristocrat ( wont be a Mayor) and become an Elder gentry. It doe snot lose any of the perks of its package ( like naming the settlement, the cloak or crest...), but as it is no more a Mayor it will not have access to the Mayor UI and will drop one level of fame from prominent to notable. fame levels

It also wont be able to be a Baron as to be a Baron you have to be a Mayor and sign a contract with the Duke.

8/22/2019 2:34:40 PM #8

Posted By Atogrim at 03:34 AM - Thu Aug 22 2019

Thanks for the answer.

So, just to get that right. As a Mayor, I controll the land. I put stuff up for grabs. If I keep the majority of the land there is no way to remove me from office short of a small revolution?

As I understand it, even outside a CB you are still vulnerable to losing it from an outside invading force if they wipe out your defenses and occupy it for a prolonged period without being ousted. Granted its been a long time since I read over those details.

8/22/2019 4:38:07 PM #9

You'll also get the chance during Expo to build up to become a town and any additional mayor titles you may have will increase the size of the settlement when you pick it in D&SS. Not sure about other servers and parts of the world, but in my chosen server, kingdom and duchy, around half of the settlements are hamlet or village sized. I've settled on one that is a hamlet. I'll be adding a second mayor to it and then will boost it more during Expo.

8/22/2019 7:02:32 PM #10

Posted By Atogrim at 06:34 AM - Thu Aug 22 2019

Thanks for the answer.

The Count is in control of "selling" the land originally not the mayor or elder. So if you want to make your settlement bigger, you have to buy the land from the count first or do that adverse possession thing. The mayor and elders are in control of the land he owns personally. So once you own the land as an elder or mayor you can zone it to how you want it used if you want it used at all. But to get the land you have to buy it from the count.

Now I am not sure of the mechanic of adding parcels of land to a settlement is but I bring this up because lets say you are the elder with the most land in a village. If someone comes up to me and buys parcels of land around the village that gives him more than you, he would be the elder in charge now.

8/22/2019 7:04:18 PM #11

I'm interested to know what happens to those parcels which I buy with EP. Do I get their ownership or are they added to settlements ownership from which I'll get a portion?

Example: I claim a 7 parcel hamlet and would get 3 parcels. During expo, I'll buy 20 parcels with EP to increase settlement's parcels to 27. Do I, as a mayor/elder/whatever, get ownership of 23 parcels or something like 13?

Backer #12. Friend code: 9B7EDE.

Kypiq mayor of Willowhaven - Crossstone - Whiteraven Rock - Tryggr

Join Whiteraven Rock Discord (https://discord.gg/ppTBAqs)

8/22/2019 7:21:58 PM #12

Just to say is explicitly, even though it's been touched on already: If a mayor title holder selects a hamlet or a village, they will still be the chief executive of that settlement - they will have the strong vote in whatever system that settlement uses to make decisions - but until the settlement is a town or higher, features like the land table for the settlement won't exist until you upgrade the town to that level and build the necessary structures.

Posted By Nahkahiiri at 12:04 PM - Thu Aug 22 2019

I'm interested to know what happens to those parcels which I buy with EP. Do I get their ownership or are they added to settlements ownership from which I'll get a portion?

Example: I claim a 7 parcel hamlet and would get 3 parcels. During expo, I'll buy 20 parcels with EP to increase settlement's parcels to 27. Do I, as a mayor/elder/whatever, get ownership of 23 parcels or something like 13?

EP purchased parcels belong to you and not the town. You can forge a contract with a settlement to have your parcels incorporated into the settlement if you'd like, but it's not required.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
8/22/2019 8:18:11 PM #13

What about parcels from titles? I have +18 parcels from titles. Do those also have to be voted on ?

County of Kolglais

8/22/2019 9:34:43 PM #14

So if a mayor selects a hamlet and becomes an Elder can they purchase land during Expo and just add it to their settlement to increase it to a town and become mayor? Or are there other steps necessary?

8/22/2019 9:42:24 PM #15

Posted By Stelaphina at 4:34 PM - Thu Aug 22 2019

So if a mayor selects a hamlet and becomes an Elder can they purchase land during Expo and just add it to their settlement to increase it to a town and become mayor? Or are there other steps necessary?

I think you would have to build a town hall also?