COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Virtori Religious Professions

I'd like to know the various Virtori religious professions and titles. What's the hierarchy within the religion and what are the job descriptions of each?

Can you describe how different a Neran monastary might be to a Hrothi one? Same with cathedrals and churches if you don't mind.

I know the Neran are very much interested in the religious hierarchy system where as the Hrothi are not so bound to the pomp and circumstance of it all. How would a Neran feel walking into a Hrothi place of worship and vise versa?

"Religion is not cosmetic. It has mechanics associated with it, and clerics, Paladins, sages etc. of the different religions is a thing. Even if they may not know whether their deeds have meaning." - Caspian ☁02/23/2019

8/16/2019 1:39:30 PM #1

I'm just as eager to know as you are, Tex...! I'm interested in the positives and/or negatives re the 'Tifa' faith myself, as a forthcoming Dras healer/alchemist type... However, as yet the Devs are keeping deliberately quiet about the 'religious' professions, and have hinted as such. You've clearly looked at the religious info that is open to us. All I can suggest is that you keep watching...whether on the CoE Wiki or the Discord. Maybe on Discord, Caspian may even be 'baited' into letting some morsel of faith-related secrets out...? Only the God(s) know!

As to how those of different faiths relate...? I am guessing myself that will be partly down to the specific 'situation' that's occurring in game as they meet; I imagine that our own gossip/guile or persuasion skills might also affect that? Myself, I'm even wondering - if my character's build and look might be of a type that makes this remotely possible - if I might even be able to disguise myself in the other 'cults' clothing style or decoration, and 'attend' a meeting as one of them, to find out the difference first-hand! Just a sneaky thought I have (don't tell anyone!)? Good Luc - whoops - I mean, 'May the Blessings of [Insert your Particular Providence] be Lavished upon you...!'

Physician, Alchemist & Herbalist to the Duchy of Anor, Al-Khezam - Selene (EU) Server

8/16/2019 1:44:38 PM #2

bump

8/16/2019 2:00:28 PM #3

It's doubtful they're going to re-invent the wheel here. We're talking basic administration. Look at about any church hierarchy and expect that they'll change the titles. That's likely what we're looking at.

More interesting to me is the ways we can change and re-arrange those structures ourselves.

8/16/2019 2:08:53 PM #4

Posted By Adnachiel_Rhyne at 08:00 AM - Fri Aug 16 2019

It's doubtful they're going to re-invent the wheel here. We're talking basic administration. Look at about any church hierarchy and expect that they'll change the titles. That's likely what we're looking at.

More interesting to me is the ways we can change and re-arrange those structures ourselves.

Great call! I edited my post to ask what titles SBS has for the professions as well.

8/16/2019 3:00:54 PM #5

Great questions

Count Dante Rhyne The Black Fox of Vornair

C61D9F

8/16/2019 4:02:33 PM #6

Maybe more information on all of the religions is in order? I know that I would love to have more information on the Faedin.

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)

8/16/2019 5:07:18 PM #7

In servitude and understanding that the Virtori gods are merely minor gods under the great Myrkul, the Lord of Bones, Virtori followers, thus followers of Myrkul shall be allowed professions as useful as the worshipper allows his ambitions to be.

In ignorance and disloyalty, the heretics that don't Praise the great Lord of Bones, shall be damned to becoming Myrkul's soul smoothie. Your existence is merely to satiate the darklord's undying thirst.

PRAISE MYRKUL!

8/16/2019 5:10:29 PM #8

Neran nuns have beards. Hrothi monks don't.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

8/16/2019 6:05:27 PM #9

There will be Exarchs in there somewhere - yes?

Imgur

8/16/2019 6:20:20 PM #10

I would be very interested in seeing the responses to these inquiries as well.

8/17/2019 6:41:11 AM #11

The Virtori religion is very likely to resemble Roman Catholicism in many ways. I expect that there will be positions akin to popes and biships, and privilege titles such as Cardinal. I say this because one of the requests for subject-matter expert was someone with advanced knowledge of medieval Roman Catholicism. None of the other religions really fits the mold as well.

8/17/2019 7:45:26 AM #12

I hope the Virtori are autocephalous. It would be an interesting twist to see Kingdom heads and a “Grand Patriarch” which is unaffiliated

Check out the Village of Astyria! We are recruiting!

NA - East : Bordweall : Bloodoak : Novigrad - Shield Wall Strong! Friend Code: 3D90E8

8/17/2019 5:14:52 PM #13

Posted By Endeavor at 12:45 AM - Sat Aug 17 2019

I hope the Virtori are autocephalous. It would be an interesting twist to see Kingdom heads and a “Grand Patriarch” which is unaffiliated

That would be a fun dynamic. It would be good to see a king have to walk barefoot in the snow to beg forgiveness of the Grand Patriarch.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

8/18/2019 6:52:41 AM #14

I had to look up autocephalous. It is a term not often used in Roman Catholicism. I think that Roman Catholicism regards itself as more than autocephalous with regard to other religious hierarchies, because I believe it regards any hierarchy not subject to the will of the Pope as not in communion with it. This would make it closer to sovereign than autocephalous, in its own estimation.

The historical event to which Beathan refers actually happened, in case anyone didn't know. A Holy Roman Emperor got in trouble with a Pope, and had to humble himself to keep his regime from falling apart. This sort of thing tended to happen with Holy Roman Emperors more than with other Catholic European monarchs because the HRE and the Papacy had competing feudal claims in Italy and the Mediterranean area.

Strictly speaking, autocephaly refers to the relationship between a particular religious hierarchy and other religious hierarchies, rather than between a religious hierarchy and a secular hierarchy. The situation in Constantinople was more complex than the simple independence of the religious and the secular heads from each other, since the Emperor was regarded as a religious figure as well, and both the Emperor and the Patriarch had some significant influence in choosing the other's successor and controlling the extent of the other's actions. The Popes, on the other hand, simply declared their independence from secular leaders and, indeed, their ultimate authority over them. Such declarations, of course, didn't always reflect the political reality, so the story was more or less one of constant conflict and favoritism of one kind or another.

8/18/2019 11:51:10 AM #15

So with all that in mind, we could be looking at a Neran "Pope" as well as a Hrothi "Pope" who would each be leading "separate but equal" branches of a universal Vitori religion (The Swords and The Shields).

That could lead to some interesting power dynamics between these two individuals and their followers.

It could be quite the balancing act, especially if there is some type of division within the religion itself, as in the Roman vs. Eastern branches of Catholicism.

Or are we looking at a Shia vs. Sunni situation, that was mirrored in Iraq and Iran, where each neighboring nation was ruled by a majority sect, to the detriment of the minority one.

Lots of fun playable option here if one wants to dig into it.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!