COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Secret Player Events

I’ve always been infatuated with freedom of exploration in MMO’s; finding secret/secluded places to leave your precious stash or finding your secret farming place in the outskirts of the map.

The potential Chronicles of Elyria can offer in exploring this is extremely impressive, being that players could potentially create their own Dungeons/Witch Hunts; or as Soulbound Studios likes to call them, character events that unravel via other players.

In a sense, character transgression and interaction in the world is the essence of COE. Caspian has in fact mentioned player created dungeons and events. But what would be the incentive for players to actively pursue these things without rewards? Just finding enjoyment in the exploration?

Example: How would I be able to hire NPC’s to carry a 20 foot giant whom I gave a sedative to. Transport it across miles to place it as a final boss in my dungeon? Not to mention the treasure they expect waiting for them in completion of the dungeon?

Costs: - NPC’s or (trustworthy players) - Sedative - Wagon - Treasure - Camping Supplies(Food, tent, travel expenses) - Materials to create a secret pathway - Etc...

All these things cost money. Lots of money. How could someone like me who enjoys doing dungeons and secret lairs for players make a living and keep producing new events?

It sounds like COE will give players the versatility to create so many amazing events. Events that ultimately shape society and its beliefs for the extraordinary. Legend stories that will transcend for years to come. I want to walk in to the local pub and hear about how hard it was to find that invisible door that led to the greatest dungeon in COE :)

8/11/2019 2:21:46 AM #1

Just loot all the players that die to your Dungeon. Mucho profits. :D

Divide et Impera

8/11/2019 2:26:24 AM #2

I think you have to consider the difficulty of transporting things to your dungeon, and making it habitable for them, a part of the gameplay concerns of someone intending to create dungeons.

There aren't magical things involved. You would have to make or find a suitable location, make traps, place guards or beasts, figure out a way to keep the guards/beasts from leaving to search for someplace with more food.

All of this just means when you finally figure it out, it will be all the more impressive in game.

8/11/2019 4:52:25 AM #3

Contracts are the way to get PCs or NPCs to do things for you. If the reward is great enough, someone is likely to take on the risk and effort.

8/11/2019 8:36:10 AM #4

The motivation for creating a dungeon is that you want to hide your money at a safe place. Most of the player events are created, because those players want to achieve something for themselves. I want to make a potion, but I need this flower for it. Therefore, I hire somebody to find this flower. I want to take over my county. Therefore, I hire somebody to assassinate the count. We will create in CoE player events, because we will not be able to do everything. In order to be successful, we need to specialize. We do not need any special motivation.

P.S.: A giant is really not the best idea to protect your dungeon.

8/11/2019 2:08:21 PM #5

Posted By Qerido at

Example: How would I be able to hire NPC’s to carry a 20 foot giant whom I gave a sedative to. Transport it across miles to place it as a final boss in my dungeon? Not to mention the treasure they expect waiting for them in completion of the dungeon?

Costs: - NPC’s or (trustworthy players) - Sedative - Wagon - Treasure - Camping Supplies(Food, tent, travel expenses) - Materials to create a secret pathway - Etc...

All these things cost money. Lots of money. How could someone like me who enjoys doing dungeons and secret lairs for players make a living and keep producing new events?

Perhaps you could find a wealthy patron(s) to support this endeavor for you?

People with money can do a lot of things with it.

And the more they have, the more they can do.

That's how a lot of the great art and architecture, etc. of the Renaissance was funded.

It was a way for the rich of the time to show off just how much richer they really were than their rivals.

And then there were also the Carnegie's and Rockefeller's who were trying to ease their consciences for the horrible things they had done to make their fortunes.

Either way, it might not hurt to try and see if you can get somebody to spend their dime instead of your own.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!