COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Dutch Auction - Buying the title of a county with one remaining settlement

Dutch Auction - Buying the title of a county with one remaining settlement

During Dutch Auction, settlements must be bought and placed in ascending order.

However, if there is only one remaining settlement in an unclaimed county, it becomes locked to only count title holders.

Is there a system in place for Bloodline or Mayors to buy a county with only one settlement remaining during the Dutch Auction?

While this question may seem like an outlier, it is relevant for counties with only one settlement. It is also relevant for groups of friends who all currently or intend to have a mayor title, want to choose a county with an exact number, and one wanting to upgrade to a count title during the Dutch Auction.

If there is a system, perfect! We can stop here :) Otherwise...

Proposal:

Firstly... a disclaimer:

The images used from now on are edited (in paint) from the gif posted by Caspian nearly 2 months ago, and the design/user experiences may have changed since. Furthermore, the gif shows how claiming domains and settlements work during the first part of D&SS, and not how the Dutch Auction will work. The gif shows the selection process being a top-down approach, however all quotes in Discord point to the Dutch Auction being a bottom-up approach.

The selection process demo from nearly 2 months ago:

Locking settlements during first half of D&SS:

Of course, it is important that the remaining settlement becomes reserved for the count above. During the first half of D&SS, it is impossible to become that count as a Mayor (or Bloodline), and therefore the option of selecting the settlement should become locked entirely. For example, in some manner like this:

During the Dutch Auction:

It is possible that SBS will keep things simple, and have the same system with the Dutch Auction, and lock the purchase of the settlement away completely. This is what seems to be most peoples current assumption, when brought up in Discord. In this case, the players have no option but to accept an NPC mayor/count, or hope (or dread) a count late to the party will pick the remaining settlement. The other option is (in a county with more than one settlement), one of the other players will reluctantly upgrade to a count title, thereby releasing the final settlement from reservation.

I would assume the purchasing option would look something similar to this:

However, if instead of completely locking away the button, the application gives us the option to choose to upgrade to a count at the same time as buying the settlement... we will both solve the issue of buying and placing the settlements in ascending order and the locked final settlement.

(Check out my awesome Microsoft Paint skills ;) )

Once again, this issue is relevant to single settlement counties, and groups of players intending to upgrade during the Dutch Auction. Please let me know if I have missed any relevant extra information.

8/7/2019 8:31:00 AM #1

Mhhhm....sounds interessting. Might shake the snow globe a lot. Did he indicate the $ involved?

8/7/2019 2:06:04 PM #2

One question I have is what if the county only has one settlement? So only a count can take it? And no one can buy up to fill the slot?

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

8/7/2019 5:55:41 PM #3

Posted By DracoKalen at 11:36 PM - Wed Aug 07 2019

One question I have is what if the county only has one settlement? So only a count can take it? And no one can buy up to fill the slot?

That is my current understanding, which is why I am asking that same question. If they have a system in place to prevent situations like that, that would be amazing. However, I am concerned that if the last remaining settlement, including single settlement counties, are hard locked for those who currently hold count+ titles, mayors and bloodline cannot buy that settlement and count titles during the Dutch Auction.