COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Ancestral Lands as an Individual

Ancestral Lands as an Individual (Question)

I've seen a lot of discussion over Ancestral lands(AL). How it might work for the counts, for the kings, and the economic system overall. I am personally confused about many of the vague concepts of Ancestral Lands, which is why I've been quietly watching the discussion instead of actively participating in a feature that might directly impact myself and plans I've had for what I wanted to do in the game since I bought in as Bloodline at Kickstarter. What I have not seen is discussion on non-titled landowners who are interested in working with Counts or even Mayors with their land purchases, with no interest in gaining a landed title.

My interest in the game was not from the perspective as a potential leader, but from my love of building up infrastructure in many 4k strategy games. I am now a leader that purposely kept this account at bloodline, because I did not give up these plans. Infrastructure, trade, and education would only better our Duchy. I don’t have a desire to supercede taxes or the ability to be independent of the count. My question is, will my only option for purchasing land be to buy specifically ancestral lands? If not, will there be a way to develop personal enterprises without requiring ownership of the land they are built on? Sorry if this has been asked and I somehow missed it. I've heard a lot of contradicting rumors, so please answer with sources for information. Any insight or clarification is appreciated~!

Note: I've made many plans which I've also planned to adapt as needed, but almost all need land in either a settlement or deserted area. I would not mind even a lease of the land so long as I had right to develop and build, with a degree of certainty that what I make would not be taken from me without reason. I could work this out in game, but this would take time to secure and I want to use my EP on the buildings themselves before the end of Exposition. This is what made personally acquiring land in even potentially undeveloped areas attractive to me. I want to do this as an individual beholden to consequence, and not as a mayor. I think merchants who want to make trading posts in multiple locations with the blessing of their leaders, or other similar situations, would also benefit from an answer.

Some of the Information currently known

Images are in no particular order. AL has a lot of discussion so I didn't attempt to gather all of the information here, although I can add to this if I missed something obscenely important or relevant.

• Ancestral Lands are considered as personally granted by the Monarch (Mechanically speaking only. The actual monarch of the Kingdom will have little to no stake in helping you keep these lands.)

• Taxes are not owed to Counts, without interference from the king who has the power to change this, or obligated to protect these lands. (Blowback from this revelation has shown that title-holders may be hostile to people who buy Ancestral lands, even if they don't have power to directly remove people's ownership of the parcels.)

• Ancestral Lands can be converted into ducal or county lands through bestowal of a title.

8/4/2019 12:27:32 AM #1

Excellent summary of the issues. I think there is a lot of confusion about what is involved here, arising from SBS trying to use a more realistic and complicated theory of ownership (the "bundle of sticks") than is usually found in game.

That said, I am confident that any lands you obtain with EP will be buildable and usable by you -- and a count can't take that away (even if they can somehow tax the land, and I'm not even sure the king should be able to allow that). That said, hostile nobles may have the power to gang up on people and take their land away through hostile attack. A good noble protects their people, but a bad one will steal from them. (And not in a "tax is theft" kind of way; more like an "armed robbery is theft" kind of way.)

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

8/4/2019 12:36:07 AM #2

Posted By Beathan at 4:27 PM - Sat Aug 03 2019

Excellent summary of the issues. I think there is a lot of confusion about what is involved here, arising from SBS trying to use a more realistic and complicated theory of ownership (the "bundle of sticks") than is usually found in game.

That said, I am confident that any lands you obtain with EP will be buildable and usable by you -- and a count can't take that away (even if they can somehow tax the land, and I'm not even sure the king should be able to allow that). That said, hostile nobles may have the power to gang up on people and take their land away through hostile attack. A good noble protects their people, but a bad one will steal from them. (And not in a "tax is theft" kind of way; more like an "armed robbery is theft" kind of way.)

I would like to work with the counts for my plans, hence my wondering if there are other options for individuals like myself.

I read through some of the bundle of sticks discussion. It was highly interesting, but also very complicated when the only goal is a handful of parcels at most. It'd be nice if I could opt-in to some type of normal land even if it could myself at the discretion of the count and resulting taxes. I have nothing against AL, just perhaps it applying to all EP bought land. :seenoevil:

8/4/2019 12:41:10 AM #3

Posted By Miss Plume at 5:36 PM - Sat Aug 03 2019

I would like to work with the counts for my plans, hence my wondering if there are other options for individuals like myself.

I read through some of the bundle of sticks discussion. It was highly interesting, but also very complicated when the only goal is a handful of parcels at most. It'd be nice if I could opt-in to some type of normal land even if it could myself at the discretion of the count and resulting taxes. I have nothing against AL, just perhaps it applying to all EP bought land. :seenoevil:

I personally would rather the ancestral land dynamic not apply to taxes or government regulation at all. Rather, I would prefer that it be just like other county land in that regard -- but with some special connection to the exposition owner and their heirs. Something like a casus bellum against anyone else who owns it.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

8/4/2019 12:43:39 AM #4

Posted By Beathan at 4:41 PM - Sat Aug 03 2019

Posted By Miss Plume at 5:36 PM - Sat Aug 03 2019

I personally would rather the ancestral land dynamic not apply to taxes or government regulation at all. Rather, I would prefer that it be just like other county land in that regard -- but with some special connection to the exposition owner and their heirs. Something like a casus bellum against anyone else who owns it.

You have a lot of insight on the topic of historical land ownership. Do you think privately owned land is an impossibility? I know the land ownership is more feudal in approach for CoE, and land of that type was more often... leased out.

8/4/2019 1:00:07 AM #5

Posted By Miss Plume at 5:43 PM - Sat Aug 03 2019

You have a lot of insight on the topic of historical land ownership. Do you think privately owned land is an impossibility? I know the land ownership is more feudal in approach for CoE, and land of that type was more often... leased out.

I think privately owned land is exactly what most people, including SBS, have in mind. Privately owned land, however, is subject to taxation and government regulation -- both now and historically.

8/4/2019 1:05:01 AM #6

Yep. Fairly straightforward and simple. This works like many tiered systems of land ownership in the real world.

8/4/2019 1:38:20 AM #7

AL is not part of the counts territory. Anyone, including a count, can take it over by force. Just like any other land in CoE. The count just can’t claim it as his though. AL still falls under the Kings domain and thus any laws the king hands down falls over AL. Taxes are set by the King, and AL starts out tax free, but again if the king says pay your taxes to a count you pay the taxes. The count can’t just order you to do so though.

I have a Rocket Launcher. Your Argument is Invalid.

8/4/2019 2:25:42 AM #8

Posted By PhKnight at 5:38 PM - Sat Aug 03 2019

AL is not part of the counts territory. Anyone, including a count, can take it over by force. Just like any other land in CoE. The count just can’t claim it as his though. AL still falls under the Kings domain and thus any laws the king hands down falls over AL. Taxes are set by the King, and AL starts out tax free, but again if the king says pay your taxes to a count you pay the taxes. The count can’t just order you to do so though.

Unappealing in many ways for many uses. It seems like it'd be great for someone aiming to make a presumptive settlement from the grounds up though.

8/4/2019 2:28:42 AM #9

Well one clarification I'd like comes on taxes.

Yes AL is exempt from property tax.

But someone online was saying any business conducted on AL is tax free as well. That doesn't seem right to me.

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

8/4/2019 8:29:34 PM #10

The taxation status of AL depends entirely on the laws of the kingdom. The only AL specific rule is that AL isn't county or duchy land, but kingdom land, the rights of which are granted to the AL landholder.

If a player wants to purchase some land for use but isn't interested in the politics of AL, they should buy them from their local count, in-game. the difference is simply that the land bought this way is county land, and subject to any laws passed by the duke/duchess and count/countess that has dominion over that domain.

Pragmatically this means the count or duke can seize that land back by decree, declare certain practices on that land illegal, rescind certain specific usage rights, etc. etc. But the same is true at the monarch level for AL, fwiw.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
8/4/2019 8:54:45 PM #11

Posted By Snipehunter at 12:29 PM - Sun Aug 04 2019

The taxation status of AL depends entirely on the laws of the kingdom. The only AL specific rule is that AL isn't county or duchy land, but kingdom land, the rights of which are granted to the AL landholder.

If a player wants to purchase some land for use but isn't interested in the politics of AL, they should buy them from their local count, in-game. the difference is simply that the land bought this way is county land, and subject to any laws passed by the duke/duchess and count/countess that has dominion over that domain.

Pragmatically this means the count or duke can seize that land back by decree, declare certain practices on that land illegal, rescind certain specific usage rights, etc. etc. But the same is true at the monarch level for AL, fwiw.

It does! Thank you so much Snipe!!

8/4/2019 9:08:53 PM #12

Posted By Snipehunter at 1:29 PM - Sun Aug 04 2019

Interesting. That's a bit different than I expected based on the idea that the differences derived from a bundle of sticks approach to property. Rather, the differences derive from jurisdictional differences, rather than different bundles of rights per se.

There are still real life analogies -- such as the status of native reservations, which are subject to national law, but not to state law, except where the United States has enacted a law that makes tribal lands subject to state jurisdiction -- but it isn't really a bundle of sticks issue.

I think I like this explanation less than I liked the bundle of sticks explanation.

8/4/2019 10:04:54 PM #13

Posted By Snipehunter at 4:29 PM - Sun Aug 04 2019

Unfortunately not

But someone online was saying any business conducted on AL is tax free as well. That doesn't seem right to me.

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

8/5/2019 4:00:52 AM #14

Will there be restrictions on which lands can become Ancestral Lands? If not, there is potential for the most valuable parcels becoming AL, and the less desirable parcels being left to the counties. That does not bode well for the tax base of the counties.

8/5/2019 4:12:09 AM #15

Posted By DracoKalen at 2:04 PM - Sun Aug 04 2019

Posted By Snipehunter at 4:29 PM - Sun Aug 04 2019

Unfortunately not

Haven't seen anything official about this, but I can see why people might assume it.

Posted By Poldano at 8:00 PM - Sun Aug 04 2019

Will there be restrictions on which lands can become Ancestral Lands? If not, there is potential for the most valuable parcels becoming AL, and the less desirable parcels being left to the counties. That does not bode well for the tax base of the counties.

I believe it's only land purchased with EP at the moment. The description hints that the King might be able to grant ancestral lands. I can't think of any other possible way it could be acquired. It's not going to be like a togglable option for existing landowners if it will require a monarch's direct involvement.