COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Brainstorm: Physical Training

Hi all, this thread is just for a bit of amusement (I'm interested to see how people answer). You can also consider it a small test on how well you know Chronicles of Elyria, in some ways. So here's the core stuff for the discussion:

• You are having children and want them to grow physically strong (strength, stamina and agility; or as much of those as possible).

• Children observe you performing skills, and after unlocking it for themselves they can practice on their own. For now, put combat and combat skills to the side and assume combat is disabled for children (preventing them from the physical workout).

• The skill(s) should be accommodating for a child NPC. The children should be able to perform the skill as they please, and use a lot of their daily energy on it's activities.

Here's the question:

With those premises, and the overall mechanics of CoE taken into consideration, which non-combat skills would you teach your children to make them grow physically stronger? And why?

The current list of suitable skills/professions:

Builder, Fisherman (spear fishing), Blacksmith, Dancer, Logger (not a skill?), Courier, Archery (target practice)

7/1/2019 7:28:04 AM #1

Why are those the only skills? Nearly all the Survival skills would help but I'm going to narrow in on hunting, forestry, and animal care. If they listed farming, that would be on the top.

7/1/2019 8:43:21 AM #2

I'd imagine 'Courier' - for a young 'un as a sort of 'apprentice'- would be really both physically demanding and create a honing of all those survival skills over time.

Physician, Alchemist & Herbalist to the Duchy of Anor, Al-Khezam - Selene (EU) Server

7/1/2019 7:37:54 PM #3

Posted By Ravenlute at 5:28 PM - Mon Jul 01 2019

Why are those the only skills?

What..? They're not. They're just a few good skills/professions I could think of.

Posted By Ravenlute at 5:28 PM - Mon Jul 01 2019

hunting, forestry, and animal care. If they listed farming, that would be on the top.

I'd agree with farming, but I don't believe hunting or animal care will train much strength. Hunting is also a somewhat inefficient choice for a young child NPC. Forestry would seem right, because we often associate it with logging, but based on the skills under it, it seems like it's more about fire making and basic survival. So even if its a physical activity to be outdoors, I don't think it would make it a good and reliable choice to train children on. Also seems a bit wonky trying to imagine a scenario where a child NPC has any inclination to randomly go camping when they have a bedroom. I've considered these skills. But they didn't seem to fit well with the hypothetical and were kinda "crammed in answers".

Posted By Glosterian at 6:43 PM - Mon Jul 01 2019

I'd imagine 'Courier' - for a young 'un as a sort of 'apprentice'- would be really both physically demanding and create a honing of all those survival skills over time.

Courier is good enough that I kept it on my list, but within the context of children NPCs using the skill/profession I have my doubt that the young characters would be inclined to leave the settlement and enter the wilderness for a payment. So in my opinion, Courier would only make the cut in a very large settlement and city where the NPC can run around without leaving the settlement.

7/2/2019 1:39:28 PM #4

My own little troupe of pickpockets.

7/2/2019 3:30:43 PM #5

Send 'em to the mines. Mining and carrying loads of ore and rock make the kids grow strong, just make sure to feed them well.

Count Lofi of Skaaney, friend code 8766AA

7/2/2019 4:36:05 PM #6

Why not more classic stuff?

Go fetch water from the well.
Help till the soil.
Move those rocks over there.... nvm move em back. :D

10/30/2019 7:23:16 AM #7

The answer is quite simple.. Let them read first and then observatie other fighting.

Conclusion: if your child is 12 (ward) until 15 is 3 In game years (3wks IRL) from 15 till 18 is 3 In game years (3wks IRL)

so in the first 3-6 weeks, you will let your charecter read and observate.. you can learn a lot from it also, and then he cant anyway come further yet then

Novice: 100% of all people will achieve Novice Apprentice: 70% of all people are likely to achieve apprentice in a skill

Skill mastery Novice (0% - 29%) Apprentice (30% - 39%)

===============================================

Why? Look here under how the learning Curve will go anyway;

Training Method Requirement Description Books None In most cases, it's possible to gain the minimum necessary training to begin practicing a skill simply by reading a book about it. In fact, given a full encyclopedia on a subject, it's usually possible to raise a skill all the way to Apprentice. Beyond Apprentice, it requires specific, rare texts to raise your skill in this manner.

Observation Skill > 0% Having a skill above 0% allows you to gain some skill points simply by observation. Being near someone performing a skill enough times will result in a passive knowledge transfer. However, root-level skills cannot be advanced beyond Apprentice via observation alone.

Practice Skill > 0% Once your skill goes above 0% you can begin practicing most skills on practice equipment. It’s assumed people will use these practice tools while offline via their OPC. In the case of combat skills this will often be practice dummies. For other types of skills there are specific practice tools available which, through repeated use, can help slowly advance your skills. Practicing crafting professions that would normally consume natural resources in other games does not do so in Elyria. Practice tools cannot be used to increase skills beyond the Journeyman skill level.

Skill Tiers Skills Mastery in Chronicles of Elyria is divided up into tiers with a percent mastery for each tier. The tiers are broken down as follows:

Novice (0% - 29%) Apprentice (30% - 39%) Journeyman (40% - 49%) Expert (50% - 59%) Artisan (60% - 69%) Renowned (70% - 79%) Master (80% - 89%) Grandmaster (90% - 98%) Legendary (99% - 100%)

The percentage mastery reflects how proficient you are with a specific skill, but it also inversely reflects the percentage of people who will ever attain a specific skill tier. In other words, based on the amount of time it takes to level a skill, you can expect distribution of mastery across a server for any given skill to look like the following:

Novice: 100% of all people will achieve Novice Apprentice: 70% of all people are likely to achieve apprentice in a skill Journeyman: 60% of all people will achieve journeyman Expert: 50% of all people will achieve Expert Artisan: 40% of all people will be Artisans Renowned: 30% of all people will achieve Renowned Master: 20% of all people will achieve Master Grandmaster: 10% of all people will achieve Grandmaster Legendary : 1% of all people will achieve Legendary Put differently, the Soulborn Engine monitors progress and provides bonuses as necessary to ensure the top 1%, 10%, of players in a skill will eventually reach the Legendary or Grandmaster tier for that skill.

One should also note that those skill tiers reflect the percentage of players and not player characters that reach these skill tiers. It will, in general, take a player a single character's lifetime to become a Master, multiple to become a Grandmaster, and even more to become Legendary.

Days Each day will be separated into four parts. Day, Dusk, Night, and Dawn. A full Elyrian day is 2.8 IRL hours (168 minutes) long.[1] 1 Elyrian hour is 7 IRL minutes. 1 Elyrian minute is 7 IRL seconds. 1 Elyrian second is 7/60 IRL seconds.

Day: 86 minutes Dusk: 18 minutes Night: 46 minutes Dawn: 18 minutes[2] However it changes slightly throughout the week, like the solstices and equinoxes in our world. There's some days that are longer and some days that are shorter, so the times may vary. [3]

"In between wrong doing ...&... right doing. There is a ...field... Let's meet over there" - Rumi

10/31/2019 5:21:14 AM #8

Physical skills i'd try to do alot of stamina and some strength stuff. Wanting to be a masked merchant, selling valuable items from across the continent. as such my kids gonna need animal handling, survival skills, enough stamina to travel for weeks and enough strength to carry a decent load the entire way. 90% of the time the wagon will be able to carry stuff, yeah, but what's say when you find an interesting ruin? maybe wanting to go up in the mountains, find some gems?

other than physical, there's cartography, id like to have the masked merchant, no matter the generation, be a master of the flute, if nothing else then to give him something to entertain himself while on long trips. Astronomy will also be important in order go guide my lad in the right direction.

the most important physical skills will be stamina and strength, with the most important skill being survival. as such i'll be camping with my child frequently. probably starting by picking safer spots, then bringing the lad with me on my adventures

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

10/31/2019 11:40:36 AM #9

Posted By Labbe at 5:36 PM - Tue Jul 02 2019

Go fetch water from the well.
Help till the soil.
Move those rocks over there.... nvm move em back. :D

Phew Labbe. . . I'm just so grateful I'm not one of your kids... !!!

Physician, Alchemist & Herbalist to the Duchy of Anor, Al-Khezam - Selene (EU) Server