COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Story Point Spirit Extensions?

I seen somewhere that SBS put out that Story Points earned by participating in game world events can be spent to 'soul jump' into a different NPC or spent for a whole new Spark of Life come permadeath on your PC.

I just thought Story Point importance could be furthered by letting players extend their Spirit Pool at a higher cost of Story Points for a much shorter time than a Spark would grant a new PC but allow them to keep playing their current PC instead. As Sparks are the subscription model for CoE think of it as trading Story Points for a large period of playtime (Spark of Life) vs trading Story Points for a shorter period but don't have to regrind skills(Spirit Extension).

Of course it would need to be limited in number of uses per 'life' or, even better, to a max PC age though any PC who has obtained a title should be restricted from the spirit extension until their next 'life' so as not to cause stagnant kingdoms. Also it shouldn't be allowed if you got permakilled at sea or any other 'special' instances as those are already 'heroic deaths' lol.

I think SBS said the max PC age resulting in permadeath is around 90-110 (8-14 months RL) and no need to even increase the max age but if players get spirit loss permadeath at a 'young' age, say 60, they should be able to extend their current life by trading Story Points for a short period of spirit (maybe 2-4 weeks RL) until they hit the max age cap. It would be invaluable for players to be able to squeeze just a little more playtime out of their current PC to put estate/heir in place, if they dropped the ball on that, or to go out in a blaze of glory.

This would give players who die at an early age, constantly taking 'heroic' risks to be in the story, a fair shake at a longer life to master skills to compete with others that will play it safe and just try to become masters without being part of the story.

Im pretty sure this would encourage players to be more involved with the story to earn points and strive to 'heroically' gather Fame/Infamy to increase the rate they gain them. I mean yeah you can spend Story Points on a Spark and 'reset' all your skills/training but having just a little more time before losing the character you've built up adds much more value to gaining the Story Points.

5/21/2019 7:02:58 PM #1

life ends with death. That is the motivation to act. Don't wait for backups or for any extension of lifetime, Every day you should be prepared to live or to die

House Pyrros

5/21/2019 8:12:44 PM #2

Posted By Scipion at 12:02 PM - Tue May 21 2019

life ends with death. That is the motivation to act. Don't wait for backups or for any extension of lifetime, Every day you should be prepared to live or to die

Or become a lich.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

5/21/2019 11:27:03 PM #3

Posted By Beathan at 4:12 PM - Tue May 21 2019

Posted By Scipion at 12:02 PM - Tue May 21 2019

Or become a lich.

That's kind of why I thought Spirit Extension would be a good addition as becoming a lich is a pure evil act, breaking the cycle of the soul, whereas extending the spirit is neutral and could be done on either a 'Hero' or someone on the more devious side of the story just as long as they have the Story Points.

It rewards participation and risk takers that add to the story by lowering the times they have to restart from a Spark and like I said it definitely would need its limits. I was thinking it could be explained like a Spiritual Second Wind like when someone in a hospice hangs on just for another week so they may see family once more

5/22/2019 7:38:22 AM #4

You'll get a warning when you near the end of a life, so you have some time to invite people you want to see to your hospice equivalent.