COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Will there be Dictators

The difference between a Monarch and a Dictator is the Monarch or lower denomination is the Dictator will rule for their own good and the others rule for their peoples good.

Monarch

1. Protects their people

2. Lets their people be free

3. Passes laws that are best for the kingdom

Dictator

1. Protects themselves

2. Suppresses freedom

3. Passes laws that are in their best interest.

If you are under a dictator will you Rise up, leave, or just go along with them?

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

5/14/2019 2:44:28 AM #1

Dictators need an army to enforce their will on the people. I'm some may try but ultimately they will fail.

5/14/2019 2:47:15 AM #2

As you are describing a dictator above, I think it's unlikely. The player base is mobile and without them I don't see how you could be competitive. Someone would eventually conquer you based off 30% of your population going across the border.

Friend Code: 1C7762

5/14/2019 7:33:45 AM #3

Not actually the difference between monarchs and dictators.

Monarchs can be dictators (as in the case of absolute monarchs). A dictator is merely a ruler that holds absolute, autocratic power. Dictators can be benign and even necessary (such as the early dictators of the Roman Republic) or mass murderers who operate only in their interests (or those of their allies) (such as any communist leader in history).

In CoE terms the difference between a monarch who is a dictator or one who is not will likely depend entirely on how much power they take unto themselves and how much they delegate or devolve power.

Coming Soon(tm)

5/14/2019 8:12:56 AM #4

Posted By Sackeshi at

The difference between a Monarch and a Dictator is the Monarch or lower denomination is the Dictator will rule for their own good and the others rule for their peoples good.

Monarch

1. Protects their people

2. Lets their people be free

3. Passes laws that are best for the kingdom

Dictator

1. Protects themselves

2. Suppresses freedom

3. Passes laws that are in their best interest.

If you are under a dictator will you Rise up, leave, or just go along with them?

I think the question should have been, "Will there be tyrants?" That seems to be what the OP is asking about.

Friend Code: 6CC04C

5/14/2019 8:13:16 AM #5

Posted By chipla at 12:33 AM - Tue May 14 2019

Monarchs can be dictators (as in the case of absolute monarchs). A dictator is merely a ruler that holds absolute, autocratic power. Dictators can be benign and even necessary (such as the early dictators of the Roman Republic) or mass murderers who operate only in their interests (or those of their allies) (such as any communist leader in history).

In CoE terms the difference between a monarch who is a dictator or one who is not will likely depend entirely on how much power they take unto themselves and how much they delegate or devolve power.

I don't think he was giving the literal definition of a dictator, but rather definition for the sake of the argument.

5/14/2019 8:53:03 AM #6

Yes.

:)

Link to my story

5/14/2019 10:10:19 AM #7

Posted By chipla at 09:33 AM - Tue May 14 2019

Ahhhh beat me to it!

@topic sure there will be. And why not?

5/14/2019 1:09:59 PM #8

Given enough support it wouldn't be to hard. Get the top guys involved, and the law enforcement and you can do it quite easily.

I have a Rocket Launcher. Your Argument is Invalid.

5/14/2019 8:39:37 PM #9

Will be matter of opinion too. Some leaders may have reason to raise taxes and enforce laws pretty extremely, and there will be people 100% on board, but others will see it as abusive and unfair and have issues with it.

5/14/2019 8:44:36 PM #10

Will there be tyrants? Almost certainly -- and with different levels of tyranny. The "depose the tyrant" gameplay is an intended part of the game.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands