COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
On the topic of death and bodily desacration

Hey, I've been interested in this game for quite some time, and I've seen death and it's mechanics be discussed quite frequenty, but something I can't seem to find is just what happens after you're done Spirit Walking and return to your body.

Do you just get up from where you last fell or do you respawn in a safe(r) place nearby? Will you still be hurt? Will you still be bleeding or running the risk of getting a nasty infection?

What happens if, after I've killed you, I cut off both your arms and legs? Do they just grow back when you're done Spirit Walking?

4/23/2019 7:35:52 AM #1

Welcome to the community Guialdereti! I hope you stay with us to see the game come to life.

I recommend reading Design Journal 4, this is based around Incapacitation and Spirit walking, I'll throw the link in down the bottom for your convenience.

however to offer a brief answer, Spirit walking is when you have to do the proverbial "ghost run" back to your body that so many games choose to implement, however SBS adds another flair to it which will add (what i hope to be) quite a lot of importance in each spirit walk where it gradually becomes harder and harder for you to find your body based on your Spirit and Character age. This is seen as through a silver thread connecting your spirit to your body.

I believe you are able to "wake up" a short distance away from where you were incapacitated, however the exact distance is yet to be confirmed by the devs.

I actually asked a similar question about permanent damage after death, and I was told that limbs an such will remain intact once you get back to your body. As for poison and such, I can't find anything, so I don't think its yet been confirmed or even really touched upon. However I imagine that would depend on the types of poison or diseases in play, as well as the Biome your in if there are any outside sources at play.

I hope I was able to help, and once again, welcome to the community! We look forward to hearing you in Discord

Link to the Dev Journal; https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/348/Design-Journal-4-Incapacitation-Spirit-Walking-and-Permadeath

4/23/2019 2:11:45 PM #2

Well thanks a lot, Mr. Auralin! You know, I've been considering being a field medic or something of the sorts, so I hope that they won't let you just revive and be back in fighting shape, as that would make that role pretty useless, especially during large-scale battles, when there's no Spirit loss.

4/23/2019 2:24:57 PM #3

Dont take my words for proof... but I remember reading that after a spirit walk, you wont be wounded anymore. Yet, you'll be exhausted and such not immediately ready for fighting or something like that.

If poisons and diseases are still intact after they killed you depends on which kind I guess... but in most cases, dieing ends those effects. You wont bleed or anything like that after death... though you'll have a new scar. And you'll obviously need rest and food to recover from your "near-death-experience". And I think, you simply can't cut off limbs.

Friend Code: 30EF47

4/23/2019 4:14:27 PM #4

Posted By Guialdereti at 08:11 AM - Tue Apr 23 2019

Well thanks a lot, Mr. Auralin! You know, I've been considering being a field medic or something of the sorts, so I hope that they won't let you just revive and be back in fighting shape, as that would make that role pretty useless, especially during large-scale battles, when there's no Spirit loss.

In a game where dying can cost a player money, do not underestimate how much people will value a good combat medic. Even if they aren't experiencing spirit loss for every death in a battlefield, they are experiencing it on the first one.

Friend Code: 1C7762