COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
How do I become a mayor?

New player here. I have a Proprietor package and have claimed my server and am interested in claiming a settlement during the D&SS process. What do I need to buy before 4/22 to make that happen? I'm seeing most people talk about Tale of Two Hamlets, but I'm not clear on exactly what I get with that and I'm only one person anyway.

Thanks in advance.

4/21/2019 1:52:53 AM #1

There are only two ways to get a mayor title presently:

a) Buying the Tale of Two Hamlets promo, which grants you two titles that you can either claim for yourself to get additional parcels or send one to someone else (effectively splitting the cost).

b) Having a title gifted to you, which you can do by participating in a number of ongoing mayor title give away contests.

For the former, you will need the bloodline package or better.

4/21/2019 1:56:14 AM #2

There is a third way. After D&SS, Bloodline packages and above will have the option to purchase unclaimed settlements.

So you could just wait, and buy at the end of May, or whenever they start that process.

4/21/2019 2:00:23 AM #3

Post DSS once pledged mayors have had a chance to pick they will also be auctioning settlements off to people who are bloodline or higher.

4/21/2019 2:10:27 AM #4

Or you could wait till in game and gain all that fame as well as story points and make your way up to mayor ^.^

4/21/2019 2:45:25 AM #5

Thanks for all this. I'm weighing all of these options presently.

In the Two Hamlets option, how many parcels do you actually get? Just wondering how much I would have to budget to buy additional parcels.

I wonder what the odds of being able to claim two settlements within 500 m (the length of Two Hamlet road) are?

4/21/2019 2:49:23 AM #6

Posted By Scorus at 7:45 PM - Sat Apr 20 2019

Thanks for all this. I'm weighing all of these options presently.

In the Two Hamlets option, how many parcels do you actually get? Just wondering how much I would have to budget to buy additional parcels.

I wonder what the odds of being able to claim two settlements within 500 m (the length of Two Hamlet road) are?

That's not exactly how that works :P

First, if you get the Tale of two Hamlets pack and you claim both titles, (which you need bloodline to do) then you will still only claim 1 settlement, but it will get an additional 9 parcels on top of whatever it already has. Which depends on which one you select.

Second, you do not have to be within road distance to be sister hamlets, although it certainly might help later on :D So you could set up your settlement as a sister settlement to any other one of your choice as long as they met requirements.

4/21/2019 3:15:43 AM #7

Okay, so if I keep it all to myself, I get however many parcels are in the settlement I choose (say 3 for a hamlet) and then get 9 parcels. Will I get to choose those parcels? I assume they have to be adjoining? I could then later sell parcels off to another player?

If I recruit a friend, then each of us can claim a settlement which will come with whatever parcels are part of it (3 for a hamlet, 9 for a village, etc.). Can I buy further parcels during the D&SS period or will that have to wait?

I have Proprietor, so I have the package.

4/21/2019 3:21:10 AM #8

Posted By Scorus at 8:15 PM - Sat Apr 20 2019

Okay, so if I keep it all to myself, I get however many parcels are in the settlement I choose (say 3 for a hamlet) and then get 9 parcels. Will I get to choose those parcels? I assume they have to be adjoining? I could then later sell parcels off to another player?

If I recruit a friend, then each of us can claim a settlement which will come with whatever parcels are part of it (3 for a hamlet, 9 for a village, etc.). Can I buy further parcels during the D&SS period or will that have to wait?

I have Proprietor, so I have the package.

If you add 9 parcels by claiming additional mayor titles, those parcels will be developed, but you don't have any control of what is there until exposition (arguably KoE) you can't control anything within the settlement during D&SS, just which one you want to select.

If you and a friend, or just you yourself really, claim a settlement you will be able to add parcels to it, but you will have to wait until exposition so you can purchase surrounding parcels and then give them to the settlement to make it bigger.

Arguably you can make potentially make settlements bigger during the Kingdoms of Elyria phase, but since not everything will persist, and we don't know much about the mechanics yet, it's more reliable to just look ahead to exposition.

4/21/2019 4:47:41 PM #9

Have the devs indicated what settlement levels are likely to still be available after D&SS, based on mayor titles purchased? A humble village would be sufficient for me, I don't want to spend ALL my time on town administration.

4/21/2019 6:14:19 PM #10

No, but if you don't mind playing in any biome, I think it's safe to say you'll have options after D&SS.

4/22/2019 8:15:15 AM #11

A village doesn't require a mayor. Only towns and larger settlements can register with the county and designate a mayor. To get your own village in Expo or after launch, just buy enough contiguous land and make the minimum development investments of a few wells and a tavern. When enough people settle in it, PC or NPC, I believe it becomes a village automatically. Of course you will be responsible for paying taxes on any land and improvements you own, so it's a good idea to establish and execute an equivalent of a business plan so you're not just contributing your hard-earned or hard-bought capital to the local count.

4/22/2019 2:28:01 PM #12

So my options seem to be:

1) Buy Two Hamlets, combine the two mayoral titles and then in a few weeks claim a settlement to which will be added 9 developed parcels. Then during exposition my friend and I can further develop those parcels and/or buy and develop more parcels to add to it. Pros: Get earlier picks of availability and buy something that is good sized and established. Cons: Commit to something without knowing a lot about how it is going to work.

2) Not buy anything now and wait to see the map. Then, after all current title holders have claimed their settlements, I can buy a title and claim a settlement of my choice. Or we could claim two if we see two very close together that we could someday merge. Pros: Have more information and buy something that is established. Cons: Less to choose from, less land.

3) We end up not buying any settlements but use EP to buy land and develop it into a village. Pros: Get to build up exactly what we want where we want it. Cons: A lot less land and probably just our two families so it would take time to attract more and grow to village status.

Anything I'm missing there?

4/22/2019 2:42:07 PM #13

A couple of other options:

1) You have at the moment a chance to win a title in one of the mayor title contests.

2) You can try to become a mayor in-game. It'll require owning at least one parcel of land in the settlement and being voted in by the town council.

If becoming a mayor is contingent on being in a settlement next to your friends, there are no easy options, I'm afraid. Your best bet is probably just to wait and see what's available on the MAP after D&SS.

4/22/2019 7:52:41 PM #14

Thank you all for the great advice. I have taken the plunge and bought Tale of Two Hamlets. Fortune favors the bold and all that...

So I now have two Mayor titles in my inventory. Do I need to claim them by today in order to participate in D&SS or can I do that anytime before the Settlement selection level start?

4/28/2019 4:05:11 PM #15

Posted By Scorus at 8:52 PM - Mon Apr 22 2019

Thank you all for the great advice. I have taken the plunge and bought Tale of Two Hamlets. Fortune favors the bold and all that...

So I now have two Mayor titles in my inventory. Do I need to claim them by today in order to participate in D&SS or can I do that anytime before the Settlement selection level start?

No. Mayors I think at the end of May?

209920 WALLACHIA