COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Permadeath Crime & Punishment

I was chatting with someone in discord, and a topic came up.

What’s to prevent a kingdom from punishing criminals by taking them out to permadeath depth, and having them walk the plank?

If anything.

4/14/2019 8:24:59 PM #16

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 12:50 PM - Thu Apr 04 2019

What happens if a ship owner and his crew are meant to be taking you across the sea as you paid but in the middle he stops the ship, takes your stuff and throws you off invoking permadeath.

How are they going to throw you off?

4/21/2019 1:51:14 PM #17

Well its a question of how far punishment will go. The crime should always fit the punishment, but if the crime is heinous, shouldnt the punishment be too?

Say, for example, a man sneaks into a farm during the night, slaughters dozens of livestock, kills the whole family, steals all of their things, and poops on the floor. A simple fine does nothing to stop him from continuing to commit crimes within your land. It would get to a point where punishment is a joke - criminals just get caught, a slap on the wrist, and sent back out to repeat the whole process. Additionally, the pumishment is equal parts deterrent, perhaps moreso. The punishment needs to be scary, a very undesireable thing to have happen so as to prevent would be criminals from making any mistakes.

My suggestion is to allow us a number of options when sentancing.

1. Siezure of assets. Allow the law enforcement to enforce fines by stripping posessions to pay it off. This would include property.

2. Branding or marking. A prominent and permenant marking that forever brands that character as a criminal. A massive increase in fame and plummet in reputation would accompany this, with the likeness of the criminal being sent to pertinent settlements for the civilians and guards alike to watch out for.

3. Increased penalty for susequent offenses. Punishment scales exponentially with the number of crimes comitted.

4. Increased Tariffs. Having broken the law, they are cinsidered a greater burden to the government and must pay exaggerated tariffs so long as they remain in the area to make up for it.

5. Exile. Transportation of the criminal outside of the Kingdom and leaving them there. This would come alongside a kingdom specific brand that marks that character for apprehension amd execution if found within its borders.

6. Execution. Not precisely PK, But a Coup De Grace to punish their spirit.

(The punishments would befit the crimes, of course) I think the potential for being sentanced to any one or combination of these would act as a powerful deterrant, and give law enforcement viability. Nobody will want to play the Lawman if we cant adequately punish the criminals.

4/21/2019 1:51:50 PM #18

(Accidental double reply, sorry!)

6/18/2019 10:15:22 AM #19

what if a character is knocked out; tied up; and thrown into the water

Friend code: 26C1D7

6/18/2019 2:43:31 PM #20

Posted By Protey at 4:24 PM - Sun Apr 14 2019

What happens if a ship owner and his crew are meant to be taking you across the sea as you paid but in the middle he stops the ship, takes your stuff and throws you off invoking permadeath.

Seems I missed this earlier, my bad. I also don't understand the question. You just throw them off, no?

Incap a player > Drag body to edge > roll it off.

I don't know anymore.

6/18/2019 3:38:42 PM #21

Posted By DanielBlack at

What’s to prevent a kingdom from punishing criminals by taking them out to permadeath depth, and having them walk the plank?

If anything.

its not necessary to walk the plank to permadie. Last we know is, that the laws will be made by the players. If the high council decides, that the punishment for murder is 100 years of spiritloss, then each caught criminal that can be found guilty of murder will face permadeath (unless he is a lich or vampire and cant be punished with spiritloss as he has none).

Friend Code: 30EF47

6/18/2019 6:03:35 PM #22

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 09:43 AM - Tue Jun 18 2019

Posted By Protey at 4:24 PM - Sun Apr 14 2019

Seems I missed this earlier, my bad. I also don't understand the question. You just throw them off, no?

Incap a player > Drag body to edge > roll it off.

You can't move other players outside of specific situations dealing with bounty tokens.

6/18/2019 6:25:58 PM #23

Posted By Kaynadin at 2:03 PM - Tue Jun 18 2019

You can't move other players outside of specific situations dealing with bounty tokens.

I don't recall enough to contest that but I can think of a lot of reasons a downed body would need to be moved away so that's interesting if that's really not a thing.

Any who, lets say they are alive and conscious then, with an entire tree branch in just grappling techniques I'm sure there is a throw or a drag move in there and you'll be able to make do like that.

I don't know anymore.

7/13/2019 1:04:35 PM #24

Wow! This is a really interesting topic. First: I'd like to say that ALL punishments should be IC never OOC. That said there can of course be IC punishments that have OOC consequences (loosing a spirit for example IE being executed) but that cant be avoided I think but still the principle is important.

Then there's the court. It makes up for some very interesting roleplay

And the punishments. Its very easy to apply modern values to a game that is supposed to take place many hundred years ago. The term PK didn't even exist 50 years ago let alone 500. So if one look into medieval history there is no lack of more or less scary ways to punish criminals witch all could be Roleplayed and acted out IC. So no need for a prison there are much more interesting punishments that also would inspire lively roleplay. The Pillory is just an example.

https://www.duchyofanor.com/uploads/1/2/2/5/122542400/duchybanner3-9_orig.png)](https:///www.duchyofanor.com)

7/14/2019 1:25:13 PM #25

Posted By IndraAllian at 3:04 PM - Sat Jul 13 2019

Wow! This is a really interesting topic. First: I'd like to say that ALL punishments should be IC never OOC. That said there can of course be IC punishments that have OOC consequences (loosing a spirit for example IE being executed) but that cant be avoided I think but still the principle is important.

Then there's the court. It makes up for some very interesting roleplay

And the punishments. Its very easy to apply modern values to a game that is supposed to take place many hundred years ago. The term PK didn't even exist 50 years ago let alone 500. So if one look into medieval history there is no lack of more or less scary ways to punish criminals witch all could be Roleplayed and acted out IC. So no need for a prison there are much more interesting punishments that also would inspire lively roleplay. The Pillory is just an example.

I'm quite sure, that killers/murderers existed 500 years ago and were usually punished with death or long prison if caught. Why should our characters handle this any different ingame? From the PoV of our characters, a PK is simply a murderer, nothing else. That our characters in contrast to us have the ability to survive death is just a mechanic to make the game less annoying and shouldnt change anything in regards to penalties imo. I'd prefer to look at the game as if death meant the end (CDG in this case), because there always (besides maybe on battlefields) is the choice to just not kill, in contrast to RL, where kills can accidently happen. If someone kills someone in CoE, he always had the intention to do it. Therefore, I see no reason to go low with punisments for it.

And as those punishments can simply be set in laws, there is no need to drag anyone to open seas for permadeath. Simply set a law that states "anyone found guilty of murder will face 30 years of spiritloss" (or an appropriate time in prison, forced labor or whatever). Together with fame multipliers, this will mean permadeath for anyone that is not completely unknown. If being caught and having to face permadeath, I guess many would prefer to work in forced labor for a month or two. At least, you'd gain skills that way instead of losing everything. There needs to be a strong deterrent for killing, otherwise this great game will become a gankfest.

Friend Code: 30EF47

7/15/2019 1:32:29 PM #26

In all honesty I wouldn't worry about permadeath in the deep waters as punishments. I do not think the Devs are allowing it to happen. Plus I believe they have said that it's only permadeath in deep waters for now until a better system can be put in place.

I would worry more about banishment. If you build any kind of home, or have a bunch of stuff and you are banished you only get to take what you can carry with you. If you return you would be killed on sight by the guards.

I have a Rocket Launcher. Your Argument is Invalid.

8/3/2019 12:14:13 PM #27

Death in the water is only because they decided to not make water mechanics at the start of the game so they could focus on what 99% of the players would experience first. Underwater mechanics will come later, and with them, the game will remove the permadeath from deep water mechanic.

8/3/2019 12:46:13 PM #28

Posted By MilevanFaent at 05:14 AM - Sat Aug 03 2019

Death in the water is only because they decided to not make water mechanics at the start of the game so they could focus on what 99% of the players would experience first. Underwater mechanics will come later, and with them, the game will remove the permadeath from deep water mechanic.

And wouldn’t it be cool if they didn’t tell anyone, so the first people to discover the underwater areas would be condemned prisoners saved by mermaids.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

11/26/2019 5:28:15 AM #29

Posted By DanielBlack at

If anything.

This is very interesting, I don't see why someone imprisoned and restrained can't be forced to take a deep swim

11/26/2019 5:48:23 AM #30

Because thats someones "paid subscription"