COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Mains and Alts in CoE

In most MMOs you can have multiple characters and we have gotten used to the idea of having a "Main" character with any others being "Alts" that we play for various reasons. The goal is to get our main to the game's max level (before they raise it) and outfit them with the best gear we can. Afterwards, we start building up our alts towards the same goals. This system works well with the ageless, immortal characters of your standard MMORPG.

In CoE however, your "Main" character ages and will be replaced in a year's time for the most part. Now when that character dies, we get to create a new "Main" that isn't as powerful as our old one but, one that has the potential to be better with the way the skill ramp system works. This is also true of your "Alts", as they age and die, you'll need to create new ones.

Does this system change the way you will perceive and play the Main/Alt game? If so, how?

For me, as a mayor, I am looking at my town as my "Main" character and my characters are just the Alts I use to ensure the town's survival.

Three aberrations that have plagued gamers from the beginning: The Lag Monster, the Mistell Maven and the Typo-Daemon. Their actions have to led to laughter, anger and tears since the beginning of the Internet.

3/31/2019 9:56:09 PM #16

Alts are absolutely going to result in some out of game meta, a spy or defector in a Monarchs inner circle passing info by discord.

Personally I’m going with a shop keeper in my town at the min, so I’d have enough sparks for 2 years of play. But it is also tempting to see the other side of the world as well. Then also, that shop keeper may decide to pack up and attempt to move the business, an adventure/ordeal in itself.

So that may double/triple my ~annual cost to play (which you could spread by sparking every ~4 months instead of all at once) I look forward to be willing to do that to be part of Elyria. Let’s face it 2/3 sparks a year is still cheaper than most of the big pay monthly past and present mmo.

Deviant is also a big draw for me too 💀I wonder what the % of players using alts SBS will see in the first year of public release and if they’ve factored a number in already on a projection, so if the player base is say 200k over all servers but 20% use 1 alt (on average) that equates to revenue for a 240k player base?

There’s lots of ways to combine all these play styles too from what to do on your main to using different in-game identity to double the fun!

Can’t wait to test it all out.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

4/1/2019 6:32:02 AM #17

Posted By ilakyd at 09:54 AM - Sun Mar 31 2019

... Edit: also idk where u got the information on the limits of their development.

It's a totally theoretical speculation, just in case. I don't think there is any absolute limit on a character's development, apart from limit to a character's lifetime.

4/1/2019 6:39:36 AM #18

Posted By Tilarium at 08:50 AM - Sun Mar 31 2019

... Until someone sparks into the Kings cook and poisons him to death because someone else sparked into his food taster and didn’t taste the food.

I don't plan on having any character worth assassinating. Those that do may choose to attempt to protect themselves with alts. However, because alts take player time to progress their skills, having competent alts will reduce a player's investment in a main character, as I said previously. So a king would have to decide if he would prefer to be a great king who trusts another player or NPC with his dietary security, a great king who succumbs to food poisoning because of eating food prepared by an incompetent alt, or a mediocre king eating mediocre but nontoxic food prepared by an alt.

;-)

4/25/2019 4:34:54 PM #19

Posted By Poldano at 08:39 AM - Mon Apr 01 2019

... Until someone sparks into the Kings cook and poisons him to death because someone else sparked into his food taster and didn’t taste the food.

I don't plan on having any character worth assassinating. Those that do may choose to attempt to protect themselves with alts. However, because alts take player time to progress their skills, having competent alts will reduce a player's investment in a main character, as I said previously. So a king would have to decide if he would prefer to be a great king who trusts another player or NPC with his dietary security, a great king who succumbs to food poisoning because of eating food prepared by an incompetent alt, or a mediocre king eating mediocre but nontoxic food prepared by an alt.

;-)

I know it's not seen as.... whatever... Why shouldn't the king make his own food... safer and the King probably got plenty of time for hobbies anyway.

I would be somewhat worried if the king asked me to cook for him/her.. What if someone else poison's the food after it leaves my hands. Who gets executed? :P

Friend Code: 6CC04C

4/26/2019 6:40:06 AM #20

Posted By Alberos at 09:34 AM - Thu Apr 25 2019

Posted By Poldano at 08:39 AM - Mon Apr 01 2019

;-)

I know it's not seen as.... whatever... Why shouldn't the king make his own food... safer and the King probably got plenty of time for hobbies anyway.

I would be somewhat worried if the king asked me to cook for him/her.. What if someone else poison's the food after it leaves my hands. Who gets executed? :P

I am assuming that a monarch will do better by concentrating on skills that make him or her a better monarch. I don't really know what those will be right now. Basic survival-level food preparation might be one such skill, but advanced cooking that creates buffs and impresses other nobles would probably need to be done by a character that concentrates on cooking to the detriment of nearly every other skill.