COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
Contest: Longest Night Carols

Hello and welcome!

The Dras call it the Long Singing, the Brudvir Winterswatch, it is known by various other names by each of the tribes but we all know it as the Longest Night. A time of darkness is upon us. Three years where we huddle close together with our loved ones and appreciate the comforts of civilization all the more.

So a thought occurred to me. What do Elyrians actually sing during this time? Do they have Longest Night carols?

So here's my challenge. Write me a song or poem you think Elyrians would sing or recite during the Longest Night. It can be freeform. It can rhyme. It can be backed by music of traditional earth tunes. Get creative folks!

Since this is a contest though, there has to be a Grand Prize! And so, to the winner I will award:

300 EP in 100EP packs! (One of those courtesy of eltaninsroses, one courtesy of Usifan)

1 pair of turtle doves (courtesy of Usifan)

The judges will be me and eltaninsroses.

A few hard facts:

-The Contest will start now and end on the 31st of January at 21:00 GMT.

-There is no word limit, but it's a poem or song, so don't write me a story and call it a song, we'll know the difference.

-Post them here for the community to admire!

-Impress us!

Good luck to all you wordsmiths and have fun!

12/21/2018 8:37:58 PM #1

Don't be shy! And don't let doubt stop you! Just write👍

12/21/2018 10:51:31 PM #2

Hello, I am happy to present my Song "Threw the Darkness" and hope it will be a wonderful experience to read it. The "," are for orientation. Enjoy it and wish me luck!

Threw the Darkness

In Depth we find Treasures we desire, In Dark its all we fear our lifes, In Darkest Night we see how tired, we are now after all this time.

Love, Security and Preparations, we lost our Fury, send to every Nation, what shines and warms our hearts and leaves, us back in whispers when we sleep. Surrounded in Light, Invisible fights, no one knows, what has arrived, the Hatred bows, the Intrigues are lies, one Enemy shows, the Night has arrived.

In Depth we find Treasures we desire, In Dark its all we fear our lifes, In Darkest Night we feel and admire, for what is unified around the fire.

Young and Old they surrender, to the fear when they are weak, but the fearless with their heartful tinder, are the hope breaking threw the breach, So why do we tell, the night is evil, songs are held, to bring the heat, hold your shields up, to the deepness, and stay home, if youre afraid.

In Depth we find Treasures we desire, In Dark its all we fear our lifes, In Darkest Night we seek and hire, everyone who is ready to die.

12/21/2018 11:10:42 PM #3

Sharing this here(For the record, not entering them for the competition). This because I mostly translated these rhymes to english with little work in them, but hopefully they inspire the more creative minds.

Because I had some songs translated but I don't find them good enough for the competition but still wanted to share them:

It's winter, shiver, quiver, and I shake, shiver, quiver, because it is cold outside.

Put on your coat, shiver, quiver, Put on your hat, shiver, quiver, Put on your scarf, shake, shiver, and your mittens.

It's winter, shiver, quiver, and I shake, shiver, quiver, because it is cold outside.

Standing on the ice, shiver, quiver, Will that go well, shiver, quiver, Fall, stand up, shake, shiver, and continue.

=============

One very dark night, when Angelica's light Was as long and as white as a feather, A fairy spirit bade me stray Amongst the gorse and heather. The pixies' glee enamoured me, They were as merry as merry could be.

They held in each hand a gold rope of sand, To every blue-bell that grew in the dell They tied a strand, Then the fairies and pixies and goblins and elves Danced to the music of the bells By themselves, merry, merry little selves.

==============

Three little toddlers were sitting on a fence, On top of a fence. Three little toddlers were sitting on a fence, On a nice warm day in Terrarn.

What were they talking about, those three on the fence, On top of a fence. What were they talking about, those three on the fence, On that nice warm day in Terrarn.

It was about little crickets and tulips gold, Tulips gold. It was about little crickets and tulips gold, On that nice warm day in Terrarn.

==============

Little trison in the woods, don't lose your mommy, Otherwise, you will get lost and then you'll regret it later. Little trison in the woods, don't lose your mommy.

Little trison on the stairs, do not take such a big step. Otherwise, you'll miss a step and you will fall down. Little trison on the stairs, do not take such a big step.

12/23/2018 3:31:08 AM #4

Hello, I composed a song for this. It is called "Santa Clauspian is coming to Elyria"

h t t p : / / w w w . mediafire . com / file / 7soto9l1s1gl55h / Santa+Clauspian+is+coming+to+Elyria . mp3

I hope you all enjoy it!

(I don't have enough IP to post links so delete those blank spaces in the link I provided)

12/24/2018 10:03:43 AM #5

O COME ALL YE FAITHLESS

O Come All Ye Faithless

Joyful and triumphant,

O come ye, O come ye to The Truth.

Come and behold It,

Born of quest for knowledge;

O come, let us adore It,

O come, let us adore It,

O come, let us adore It,

Through ourselves Reborn.

Research, unlock the Secrets,

the Pieces fit Together,

Research, unlock the Secrets of Science, the King.

Give to our Science glory in the Highest;

O come, let us adore It,

O come, let us adore It,

O come, let us adore It,

Science the King.

All Hail! Science, we greet Thee,

Born this happy morning,

O Science! for evermore be Thy name adored.

Word of the Fathless, now in fact is proven;

O come, let us adore It,

O come, let us adore It,

O come, let us adore It,

Embrace The Truth.

THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY - JUST IN THE SPIRIT OF THE SEASON

12/30/2018 10:51:04 AM #6

EDIT Nevermind, mixed up the dates. The contest does run until the 31st of January!

12/30/2018 9:22:33 PM #7

Until the Return of Angelica's Light -- A villanelle

Be careful treading in Selene’s night
Casting an oppressive shadow
Until the return of Angelica’s light

Best to stay in, cozy and tight!
Lest should come great sorrow

Time for family, in the darkness at its height
Share your goods, safe from snow

The world, darkened and blanketed in white
No light to guide or path to show

Make new friends in great delight!
Talking and laughing in the soft candle glow

Even in the dead of the Longest Night,
Hope bears its own light to show
Be careful in Selene’s night

1/2/2019 1:37:24 PM #8

Reminder (even though I mixed up the dates before)

The contest ends: 31st of January, 21:00 GMT

1/2/2019 2:09:54 PM #9

An old untitled tavern song often to be heard at the docks of Stygia. Usually a woman would sing the couplets, and one or more males for the chorus.

==============

Here stands again The Longest Night,
Here comes again the eternal fight.
Here falls again The Darkest Night,
Here burns again our strive for light.

The cold is here and death is near,
Drink your ale and have no fear. (2)

Raise your glass, bottoms up,
Pray the bung will fill them up.
The gods are high, the king’s аfar,
We have but a bottle and an old guitar.

Drink your ale and have no fear. (2)

The night shall pass, the dawn shall come,
Hidden in a magic stone.
We’ll raise the sails, we’ll grab the oars,
Time to set a hasty course.

Drink your ale and have no fear… (2)

To truly understand victory, one must know defeat first.

1/7/2019 1:32:02 AM #10

ok here is mine

We are one, but we are many And from all the lands on Elyria we come We'll share a dream and sing with one voice "I am, you are, we are The Waerd"

From Our Farm Gate To Your Dinner Plate.

Friend Code : EE5C8E

1/17/2019 3:43:30 AM #11

May Melon be with you.

1/28/2019 11:10:31 PM #12

Two more days people! Write 'em if you got 'em!

1/30/2019 6:06:31 PM #13

Hello,

So the funny thing is that I discovered this post about 20 min ago, so the song below is put together in less than 20min.

Hope you will enjoy it as after a day of work, can't really believe is any good.

P.S [ it should be sung like a mix between old pirate songs and some halloween]

Winter's Watch

The last sunshine is gone,

The shadows rule the world,

Let those who had fallen,

Protect us from the dawn,

The Winter's watch is upon us,

There is nothing else to fear,

Keep brothers altogether,

Or they might disappear.

Ayhui, Ayhui, the darkness is upon us,

The blood will light the sky out,

The Winter's Watch is here,

The fire has no power,

The light is fading out,

The hope will guide our hearts,

What eyes cannot find,

You better listen carefully,

Together we can live,

No man has ever fallen,

With brothers near him.

Ayhui,Ayhui, the darkness is upon us,

The Winter's Watch is here,

The growls, the claws,

And sometimes even howls,

Will be the only sounds,

To warn you that they're coming,

The long night has come,

No steel, no iron, no kingdom will ever be,

If we don't stand together,

The light we'll never see.

Ayhui, Ayhui, the darkness is upon us,

The Winter's Watch is here.

The water is another dimension where you can fly but you can't breathe

Friend code: 18B4C8

1/31/2019 3:17:50 AM #14

Most submissions seemed pretty angsty and had a lack of cheerfulness here. So this is a more light-hearted entry. It's supposed to be read like one of those Scottish drinkings songs, or at least what I believe one would sound like.

There is an inn, a merry old inn beneath an old grey hill, And there they brew a beer so brown That the Man of the Night himself came down one night to drink his fill.

The ostler has a tipsy cat that plays a five-stringed fiddle; And up and down he runs his bow, Now squeaking high, now purring low, now sawing in the middle.

The landlord keeps a little dog that is mighty fond of jokes; When there's good cheer among the guests, He cocks an ear at all the jests and laughs until he chokes.

They also keep a hornйd cow as proud as any queen; But music turns her head like ale, And makes her wave her tufted tail and dance upon the green.

And O! the rows of silver dishes and the store of silver spoons! For Sunday there's a special pair, And these they polish up with care on Saturday afternoons.

The Man of the Night was drinking deep, and the cat began to wail; A dish and a spoon on the table danced, The cow in the garden madly pranced, and the little dog chased his tail.

The Man of the Night took another mug, And then rolled beneath his chair; And there he dozed and dreamed of ale, Till in the sky the stars were pale, and dawn was in the air.

Then the ostler said to his tipsy cat: "The dark horses of the Night, They neigh and champ their silver bits; But their master's been and drowned his wits, and the Sun'll be rising soon!"

So the cat on his fiddle played hey-diddle-diddle, a jig that would wake the dead: He squeaked and sawed and quickened the tune, While the landlord shook the Man of the Night: "It's after three!" he said.

They rolled the Man slowly up the hill and bundled him into the Moon, While his horses galloped up in rear, And the cow came capering like a deer, and a dish ran up with the spoon.

Now quicker the fiddle went deedle-dum-diddle; the dog began to roar, The cow and the horses stood on their heads; The guests all bounded from their beds and danced upon the floor.

With a ping and a pang, the fiddle-strings broke! the cow jumped over the Moon, And the little dog laughed to see such fun, And the Saturday dish went off at a run with the silver Sunday spoon.

The round Moon rolled behind the hill, as the Sun raised up her head. She hardly believed her fiery eyes; For though it was day, to her surprise they all went back to bed.

1/31/2019 2:36:56 PM #15

Hello all, here is my entry. The Thundering Wind (Original name "O Rufar dos Ventos") was especially composed by Kastivi for a Chronicles of Elyria community contest. The song tries to capture the essence of the Longest Night, inducing a mixed feeling of melancholy and hope. Sorry for the poor recording quality.

The Thundering Wind

Cheers and good luck everyone!

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.