COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Taxes, What You Should Be Paying For, And How Can You Pay Them.

Taxes will be inevitable, almost all players will have to pay them in some form. Taxes, in moderation, are a good thing. they should pay for

1) Security both foreign and domestic. The people you pay taxes to should make efforts to reduce crime in their regions, build defenses to protect their realms from invaders, and provide their player base with a environment that is secure as possible.

2) Infrastructure. Providing the means for their citizens to trade, travel, and play the game. the Aristocrats and Nobles should build and maintain roads and bridges to common areas and between major settlements. This will encourage trade and commerce and help facilitate the militaries in keeping the peace.

Theses are the major things that me as a tax payer in-game would expect of the lords and nobility above me to do for me, because they tax me. When the Citizenry is taxed without getting anything in return, that is when the taxes should be considered bad or illegitimate.

Now taxes don't have to be paid in money at all. For example, if a lord needed to build a road, he can justifiably tax every person in his lands to build it. However some people might not have the Coin to pay. And in that case they can do other things for the lord to pay that tax. If they have the necessary skills or items, they can help build the road. If they do not have the skills or items to help on the road, they can donate other goods for tax credit, serve in local law enforcement/ the military, or serve in other ways.

I probably missed something on what taxes should be paying for so if yall think of something that I missed please put it in the comments bellow.

12/5/2018 10:31:45 PM #1

We negotiate, but without negotiation there is a fixed percentage. You don't have to worry about extortion. Every landowner wants to make a profit, and they can only achieve that if the people around them prosper.

It is not clear exactly how taxes are paid, but I am in favor of the people coming to me, instead of having to travel the county every time with my guards. It attracts to much attention. I like you more if you come to me, even if you can't pay. We can always work something out that benefits us both.

And sometimes, if times are tough with a bad economy, I wave it away.

In return I build everything you need to do your business and protect your land.

12/6/2018 12:05:00 AM #2

Posted By Ilyria at 4:31 PM - Wed Dec 05 2018

In return I build everything you need to do your business and protect your land.

Are you saying you'll build every building for your people? If you were to, that would drive up the tax rate really high

12/6/2018 12:16:10 AM #3

Posted By brownmat000 at 01:05 AM - Thu Dec 06 2018

Posted By Ilyria at 4:31 PM - Wed Dec 05 2018

Are you saying you'll build every building for your people? If you were to, that would drive up the tax rate really high

Depends; if you want to be a farmer, you get yourself a farm, I make sure there is a well, a mill, a road to where you want to sell it. My guards, or whatever you want to call them have been paroling on a regular base. There will be an inn, for in case well what you want. I will not hold your hand, and I have to pay taxes to the Duke. I hope he sends me soldiers when I'm under attack. When you don't pay me taxes for the town guards, I can't pay the Duke, and he will say "F** you" when I'm under attack.

Believe it or not, I have the same needs as anybody else. I may be a count, but I want to learn a craft too. I make sure there is a school, a church, and make sure the town grows and the resources will not get exhausted around us.

That is my job. I can't expect a blacksmith to build more than his own forge. Chances are that you find a master craftsman in town. He will help you start your business.

While you have nobody pushing you to make a living, I have a whole lot of worries like; Do my people have food, is the business good, darn there are these bandits again. We need roads to everywhere. And so on.

Because next to count, I also have a town to run as mayor.

12/6/2018 12:18:59 AM #4

I see, your providing infrastructure and protection then, and that's what every count duke and king should do.

12/6/2018 12:25:08 AM #5

Will you, as a count, accept goods and services in lieu of taxes Ilyria?

12/6/2018 3:38:01 AM #6

Posted By brownmat000 at 4:25 PM - Wed Dec 05 2018

That's called payment in kind, and it is a valid way to pay as long as the lord accepts the kind of goods you are paying with. Before currency became widely available to common folk, payment in kind was the only way to pay.

12/6/2018 4:09:25 AM #7

Posted By Poldano at 9:38 PM - Wed Dec 05 2018

Posted By brownmat000 at 4:25 PM - Wed Dec 05 2018

That's called payment in kind, and it is a valid way to pay as long as the lord accepts the kind of goods you are paying with. Before currency became widely available to common folk, payment in kind was the only way to pay.

I understand what it is, im asking if he will accept that types of payment lol

12/6/2018 8:46:11 AM #8

Posted By brownmat000 at 01:25 AM - Thu Dec 06 2018

If it reflexes the value, yeah of course. But only if it's something I need or something you can't sell for some reason. It is tricky, because the shops are probably just 5 minutes away, so you can just as well sell it yourself. I give a few examples: My sword may need repair, I need better armor, my livestock need food, I may even have a quest for you. Something I have no time for or is to dangerous for me. If I am building a windmill, church, school or guild hall, would you help me?

We are all reasonable people. Nobody likes to kill the business of a tax payer. Everything is negotiable. As long as you respect my priorities. I have a Duke above me with needs. The Duke again has to pay taxes to the King. We are an organization, not a charity.

12/6/2018 9:17:17 AM #9

Really love this subject. I'll read more deeply in a few hours. People tend to cover the realism/simulated aspects. I like to cover the game and mechanical aspects.

Roads, medicine and workplaces for advanced skilling potential are the main things a SMART player will be paying for. Your town means nothing if wounds are common and disease periodically sets people back. Same goes for quality roads and work (leased buildings and Organisations).

As a player, I'd have zero issues getting taxed to help provide these things.

12/6/2018 9:23:26 AM #10

Posted By Sagan at 03:17 AM - Thu Dec 06 2018

Roads, medicine and workplaces for advanced skilling potential are the main things a SMART player will be paying for. Your town means nothing if wounds are common and disease periodically sets people back. Same goes for quality roads and work (leased buildings and Organisations).

My point exactly.

12/6/2018 9:52:35 AM #11

Posted By Sagan at 10:17 AM - Thu Dec 06 2018

Really love this subject. I'll read more deeply in a few hours. People tend to cover the realism/simulated aspects. I like to cover the game and mechanical aspects.

And the local nobles have zero interest in making your life miserable, because you can always walk away while the Count and the Mayor are stuck in the area they started in. The last thing I want to see is businesses go away because of low living standards. Okay, some nobles may be jerks, but they will not last long. One day he finds a poison dagger in his back, or sees his children dying one after the other. Without bloodline his dynasty will end. His guards are citizens too. Together we are all a living organism.

CoE is an open sandbox game. If you are in a bad mood or are treated bad, you may turn against me. And if I treat you bad, I may have done the same to others. In the end life becomes very dangerous for me and my children.

12/6/2018 2:11:28 PM #12

As mentioned above taxes may not have to be in coin, some nobles may prefer it on the other hand there are practical reasons for other forms of payment. History shows that. You are a farmer, part of you harvest goes to the count as your taxes. As a brewer, you tax may be several kegs of your finest brandy or wine. Carpenters or blacksmiths pay their taxes with services rendered. Or they can sell their goods and pay in coin. There are many ways this can work. The nobility, if they are smart, will find a way to work with you because if you prosper, you pay your taxes and they prosper.

Mayor, Settlement of Otterbear Creek, County of Sagehaven, Duchy of Mytharbor, Kingdom of Alesia. Friend Code: C3A1F2

A good commander knows when to fight, a great commander knows when not too.

12/6/2018 2:20:03 PM #13

As a count I'd actually prefer goods to money in tax payments. Although it also depends on what my leige wants me to pay taxes in - if he wants gold and I don't have a gold mine myself I'm probably going to have to ask my subjects for gold.

12/7/2018 11:24:06 AM #14

Posted By YukiAkuma at 09:20 AM - Thu Dec 06 2018

As a count I'd actually prefer goods to money in tax payments. Although it also depends on what my leige wants me to pay taxes in - if he wants gold and I don't have a gold mine myself I'm probably going to have to ask my subjects for gold.

Or your can sell the goods to get the gold your Duke wants. Bear in mind some goods may be high end items than bring in a good amount. Example: Fine wines/brandies, High end lumber or marble for special construction projects, etc.

Mayor, Settlement of Otterbear Creek, County of Sagehaven, Duchy of Mytharbor, Kingdom of Alesia. Friend Code: C3A1F2

A good commander knows when to fight, a great commander knows when not too.

12/7/2018 11:50:41 AM #15

Posted By Stoutheart at 12:24 PM - Fri Dec 07 2018

Posted By YukiAkuma at 09:20 AM - Thu Dec 06 2018

Or your can sell the goods to get the gold your Duke wants. Bear in mind some goods may be high end items than bring in a good amount. Example: Fine wines/brandies, High end lumber or marble for special construction projects, etc.

That raises the question, why doesn't the debtor sell these items himself? Unless he knows for a fact that the count is interested in these items, there is no reason to burden the count with having to sell them in favor of the debtor.