COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Surnames and playing with friends

I didn't see this topic yet with a quick search, but if my friend and I are buying packages which let us each create our own surname, does that mean we can not be of the same dynasty or family?

10/9/2018 11:28:55 PM #1

Hi Goshin,

It's not 100% necessary that two members of the same family have the same surname. You might elect, for example, not to change your surname as part of a marriage contract.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
10/9/2018 11:46:50 PM #2

Thanks for the quick response! That does help.

10/10/2018 1:21:17 AM #3

If you want more information regarding surnames there's a really awesome thread with all the information as well as a FAQ section located here:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/23975/Surname-Reservation-begins-in-March

10/10/2018 4:15:39 PM #4

Posted By Snipehunter at 4:28 PM - Tue Oct 09 2018

Hi Goshin,

It's not 100% necessary that two members of the same family have the same surname. You might elect, for example, not to change your surname as part of a marriage contract.

Hope that helps! :)

Hi Snipe - choosing to keep your name during a marriage contract makes a lot of sense.

What would it be like for those two friends to choose to spark into the same family with their own surnames during Exposition? Would they end up in the same household / land plot?

Or would they have to wait until their second spark to become family?

10/10/2018 8:24:13 PM #5

Posted By malachid at 11:15 AM - Wed Oct 10 2018

What would it be like for those two friends to choose to spark into the same family with their own surnames during Exposition? Would they end up in the same household / land plot?

The way I understand it, to keep your own surnames, you'd have to spark into 2 separate NPC families then marry in-game.

To spark into a PC family (ie you join your friend's family), you would need a child code, so I think that probably means you'd inherit the surname of the PC family you joined.

10/13/2018 4:19:50 AM #6

Posted By Hieronymus at 3:24 PM - Wed Oct 10 2018

Posted By malachid at 11:15 AM - Wed Oct 10 2018

The way I understand it, to keep your own surnames, you'd have to spark into 2 separate NPC families then marry in-game.

To spark into a PC family (ie you join your friend's family), you would need a child code, so I think that probably means you'd inherit the surname of the PC family you joined.

If you spark into any character that is not a ward of the state, do you think that your NPC parents will magically have your surname?

Of course not, those NPCs existed before you sparked in. Your character simply chose to take up a new surname after they turned 15.