COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
Ravens,pigeons

You can PM your family on the same continent and of course you could potentially email or what have you another player if you know who they are but will there be something like a mail or letter service system? Can you send a raven or pigeon carrying a message to another settlement or guild or Lord and whatnot?

10/15/2018 3:04:42 AM #16

I guess you have more faith in the complexity of the AI than I do. To successfully use guerilla tactics to intercept an incoming enemy is an entirely different matter than patrolling point A to point B.

Time will tell how good it is but I really think you're giving the AI complexity a lot of credit.

-Kash

-Kash

10/15/2018 3:08:00 PM #17

Lay basic traps, IE spikes, tripwires, pits and such, shoot, run, hide, shoot, run, hide, shoot, run, hide. All the while losing a man here and there....basic guerrilla tactics. Really not hard. And obviously you can throw is many different tactics and counter tactics, but I'm just talking about basic AI programmed usage.

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

10/15/2018 7:54:25 PM #18

Posted By zimmah at 10:01 AM - Sun Oct 07 2018

The weard would makegood messengers since the weard can us3 family mechanics with their entire settlement. So have a few weard in key locations and use them as messengers. Much like the maesters in game of thrones.

Using the Waerd as messengers could be risky. That's because the Waerd are said to trade in information. If using the Waerd as messengers, it's a good idea to use encryption as well as seals on the messages. Even so, I would bet on the Waerd being the best at forging seals and decryption.

10/17/2018 2:52:09 AM #19

Posted By Poldano at 2:54 PM - Mon Oct 15 2018

Posted By zimmah at 10:01 AM - Sun Oct 07 2018

The weard would makegood messengers since the weard can us3 family mechanics with their entire settlement. So have a few weard in key locations and use them as messengers. Much like the maesters in game of thrones.

Using the Waerd as messengers could be risky. That's because the Waerd are said to trade in information. If using the Waerd as messengers, it's a good idea to use encryption as well as seals on the messages. Even so, I would bet on the Waerd being the best at forging seals and decryption.

Well, that’s the point of the weard, they’re a good source of information, but the cost of it is that they may use your information too. Kind of like the maesters in GoT, or Facebook, or google, we trade convenience for privacy all the time, I don’t think the game will be anything else.

It would be very ironic if people value their in game privacy more than their actual IRL privacy. Not trusting the weard with ingame information, but throwing their entire life on the Internet.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

10/17/2018 10:51:15 AM #20

Good OP idea, but as far as I know Waerd can only communicate with members of their current settlement through their version of the Family Bond.

So, one will still have to rely on actual families of messengers to carry the messages reliably.

Posted By Kashius at 5:21 PM - Sun Oct 14 2018

Darius - I get where you're coming from but we can't overestimate how complex the AI will be. I can't expect that an AI will be able to do with information what a player would be able to. I also can't expect that a player who receives a communication will not use out of game communication to verify the information if it is new, unexpected, or otherwise.

Nostro brings up the point of forgery - it could in essence be rendered useless because folks will just verify out of game. Or even worse, send communication in game requesting out of game contact!

There is no way to prevent it either unless they have some code in the game that will prevent it from running if you have some type of TS program running in the background. But that would just be ridiculous, especially considering how much Discord and the like have been used consistently throughout the development process.

-Kash

Gossip rules

Hi folks, seems like you forget what communication is about: information & knowledge, also known as the gossip system.

In-game, if your character doesn't have collected the information, he doesn't own it. His soul (aka player) can help with out-of-this-world information and guidance.

But still be it technique, pure knowledge or information about events, if he/she doesn't have a literal clue in memory, your character is just spinning tales from the game world perspective.

And it is not roleplay like in other games, it is gameplay, because there is a narrative engine in Chronicles of Elyria... and basically it needs facts (and rumors, but that's not our point here).

The patrol report example

Lets say you warn a town beforehand from a soon-to-happen attack, simply because you heard it from a reliable source on your discord... you naturally don't have any ingame piece of gossip to back it up.

So you act upon it, and you may get a shady reputation hit in return... "how would you know if you were not part of the attackers" and that kind of comments, not even sure people will act upon it if they don't trust you a little (do they even know you? your insignia/affiliation?).

Maybe if you were highly influent/reputed, the "world" would believe you without negative impacts... but then, next time you couldn't warn a nearby town, the "rumor-mill" would resent you for not using that mysterious "power" of yours: "Why did you let my family dies in that attack? you should have warned us! etc."

If you had that "patrol report" conveyed, you would have been hailed a hero in both cases. That is if the inside spy didn't ask his pals to delay/cancel the attack via his own voice chat... or more simply because his part of the attacking family clan and share that family bond.

Sure forgery skills could be used to create a fake, but it could also be appraised. Cryptography could also be used to ensure authencity of a verbal message.

Anyway, another job for the narrative Soulborn Engine to do is to check a starting character-made event (in this case/scenario: warning "someone" of an imminent "attack") against what is required for such event and decide the consequences/ripples in the surrounding world.

Story hooks

Those cases/scenarii are our good old rpg hooks, and there are plenty random simulator/generator that works very well.

But if you want to make yourself a better idea, check any of the Reigns game on Steam... they can spin tales based on player decision all lives long.

Kurugi [A5D079]

10/22/2018 5:16:21 AM #21

I'm going to go with the unpopular opinion on the boards here...Even if this were a feature....anything important is going to get passed along on discord.