COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Mayors/Barons ~ Great start here!

This post will be a great informational start to get you headed in the right direction using any and all information that I could find available and that was provided by community members to help you guys figure out what to do, where to start, and where to continue! Please keep in mind that this is in my personal opinion, others may state their personal opinions in the comments and I may change around some things due to feedback but I really wanted to help out our newcomers!

They are in an order that I personally think makes the most sense, however below I'll let you choose your own path by presenting direct links to the different sections!

• Responsibilities

• What is your town all about? (Focus)

• Surname and Domain/Settlement Selection

• Selecting a Community to Join

Additional information:

• Mayor/Baron Without Purchase

• FAQ

9/7/2018 9:22:31 AM #1

A huge thing that I believe should be thought about when you've purchased or are thinking about purchasing a mayor/baron pledge is what it requires, the time requirements, and ultimately what you want to do in the game. Being a Mayor or a baron you're going to be looking into fortifying an already pre-build settlement of a varying size depending on your location, if you're a mayor or if you're a baron, and most importantly what your town and people require overall to be successful.

These are a little bit harder to explain because every focus is different, every location is different, everything will require anywhere between very similar things to vastly different things. Whether that be resources or equipment or fortifications.

As a Mayor

Caspian explained the entry of Mayor/Baron to now be pushing into playing a bit of a "settlement sim". You'll need to collect income taxes from the different business' as well as providing certain services to your citizens. "You need to collect income taxes from the different business within your settlement, as well as provide certain services to your citizens. You're in part responsible for the zoning and production goals of your settlement and are ultimately responsible for its defenses. At the same time,.... you're responsible for passing judgment with the help of the other members of the town/city council."

Between those responsibilities and your communication responsibilities with your citizens, your advisors, your spies and whatever else you wish to have set up, they say you should expect anywhere from 1-5 hours per week depending on the size of your settlement. The bigger you choose/choose to make it, the more time you're going to need running it.

As a Baron

As a baron, you'll expect the same responsibilities as a mayor but one of the big differences is that you're not really responsible for passing judgment with the town/city council. You're more directly funded by the Duke or Duchess via resources (in the form of whatever fund they agree upon) and authority to keep the peace and maintain defenses within the county that you choose to settle in. The time requirements are still expected to be roughly the same as a mayor unless you have extra responsibilities to your count(ess)/Duke or Duchess.

Once you understand the responsibilities of the role and decide that this is a good fit for you! Then its time to dive into the next areas below~

[Source]

[Informational Video/Q&A]

9/7/2018 9:22:33 AM #2

What do you want to do in the game personally as your character?

What do you want to do in the game regarding your city?

What distinguishes your town from another?

What are some of your highlighted features of your town? Main attractions?

Figuring out what makes your town stand out to others, what you want to focus on for your town and ultimately what you want to do personally in game is a huge step towards your overall settlement and being able to figure out more things going forward such as your name, your emblem, your surname, and what your town may or may not require!

You're not obligated to start here after responsibilities ~ some things may need to wait until land selection! But this is a really good start to get your brain juices flowing and into getting some ideas on what you actually want to do in the game.

9/7/2018 9:22:36 AM #3

I've chosen to have this section sort of a "hand in hand" feature because a lot of people are looking into where they will land before they choose not only their settlement name but also their surname so that they can ensure that it matches their tribe that they will select once they get into something playable.

I'll talk about surname first since its what is currently available to jump right into and start creating~

Surname Selection

Surname selection is a process that is available to anyone with Bloodline+ and also if they purchased the surname from the merchandise store. It's giving you the chance to "Reserve a surname that becomes a part of the game's history on your server. Build a dynasty with a custom surname that will last centuries in the game! When your character's soul moves on to the next body, your surname will live on over the generations of which Chronicles of Elyria will unfold."

It'll be another one of your own personal unique touches to Chronicles of Elyria~

Surname selection means different things to different people, some will be heavily connected with the tribe and lore of Chronicles of Elyria to pick their surname and some will want a surname that best fits them as well as their ideals of what they want to do in the game. (obviously, there are many other reasons for picking a surname but these are the ones that stood out most to me)

Thankfully the Devs at Soulbound Studios were awesome and nice enough to give us a really neat surname generator to tinker with to get a feel for the various tribes and how their names may look in the game based on their location as well as language.

The Surname Generator can be found at this link: [Reserve Your Surname Here!] Which is actually also the link where you actually reserve your surname! So choose wisely for your specified server and surname.

Surname reservation/selection also has a guideline on appropriate names, various included letters, how it works and a great FAQ that you can find located at this link: [Surname Reservation Information/FAQ]

If you want to read a little more about surname reservation you can do just that here as well: [Surname Reservation Begins Now]

Domain and Settlement Selection

Domain and Settlement Selection is when Kings/Queens, Dukes/Duchess, Count/Countess, Mayor/Mayoress, Baron/Baroness are all able to select their domains and settlements.

During this time your leaders will likely choose before you. Kings/Queens will be able to select their kingdom, then their duchy, then their county, then their settlement of their choosing. Dukes/Duchess will be able to select their Duchy, then their County, then their Settlement of their choosing. Count/Countess will be able to select their County, then their settlement of their choosing, and eventually Mayors/Mayoress & Barons/Baroness will be able to select their settlements.

This entire process is completely done in order of [Influence]. If you're unsure about your influence amount, you can find it located by clicking your account name at the top right and going to your account to look at all your account details.

So if Mayor A has 938 influence, and Mayor B has 1102 influence, Mayor B will select which settlement they would like to choose first in this case.

Counties are currently estimated around 3-5 settlements per county, they can have more, they can have less, they can have as little as 1 settlement ~ So I would get acquainted with your local count to ensure they have enough room for you to be a mayor/baron within their county.

Settlements can range between various sizes including:

• Hamlet: 3 Parcels; 10 people; Well
  • Village: 9 Parcels; 25 people; Tavern
  • Town: 25 parcels; 75 people; Town Hall
  • City: 49 parcels; 150 people; Courthouse
  • Capital: 81 parcels; 250 people; Monument

(Those are also the requirements to build your own settlement!)

There is a lot currently that we are unaware of for domain/settlement selection, but hopefully, this will help you understand a bit about it and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

[Source]

Selecting My Tribe

This question comes up a lot from a lot of mayors in the community. It's not as restricting as one might think, and you can always bring a tribe that you want over that you want to be as your end character. Like I've explained various times, your starting character isn't your end character. Think of it as a "practice" character.

Lets answer the question that has a lot of people confused:

What tribe can I select as a mayor? Well, you can select any tribe that is the most numerous or has at least half (50%) representation in the settlement. What does this mean? If the tribes composition makes up 50% (as the larger numbers) that can be viewed on the map (by hovering over the tribe of that settlement) then you can select as for them. For example: if the Neran are the largest block at 40% of the settlement, but Kypiq and Waerd both make up at least 20% of the settlement, the mayor can pick between Neran, Kypiq, or Waerd.

9/7/2018 9:22:38 AM #4

I just wanted to note that this section is completely optional, you're not required to join a community it just may prove to be more beneficial to your settlement if you do choose to join a community before domain selection or during domain selection when tribes are figured out before placing down your settlement in a place where you are unknown to the count/other aristocracy and/or they are also unknown to you.

It is entirely possible to join the game and place your settlement without joining the community to get to know them beforehand -- both sides have benefits to them as well as downsides.

It also may be best to build up your own community beforehand and then pushing into joining a different community as it would get better input on where you would like to settle but also better input on where those with you would like to settle.

Selecting a community is one of the harder topics of this entire post. Caspian has stated various times how truly important lag is in the game when it comes to some mechanics and PvP. If PvP or combat, in general, is going to be a major part of your gameplay then the best suggestion would be to select the server that is closest to you. If you don't think you'll do a whole ton of either, and are really just looking for the best gameplay experience through professions and playing with friends, or just doing your own story in general, however it is that you want to play that you do not believe lag to factor in at that level, I would recommend testing your ping and getting approximate to how much your gameplay will be affected to see how far you can go for playing on a server that isn't entirely near you.

The community will be (again, in my opinion) one of the most important things in the game especially as a titled player, in this case, aristocracy. So finding a community that best suits what you want to do in the game, your friends/family that would like to play with you in your settlement, and how you want to run your settlement/it's focus might just be a good idea (:

The best thing for you to do at this step (if tribes aren't necessarily a huge factor to you currently since as a mayor you have more freedom to choose the tribe you want, and if its not available you can "migrate" some characters over from your preferred tribe) is getting to know the current kingdoms in play on the server(s) that you'd most likely end up playing on. Getting to know the kingdoms, the duchies, the counties, and how they work, their ideas and what they want to do will allow you to find the best home for the best gameplay experience for you in game. So without further ado here are the 4 servers with the various kingdom information that I've gathered and to my knowledge is still currently up to date:

9/7/2018 9:22:40 AM #5

There are various ways in game to become a mayor/baron without purchasing a title from the store. This will be when "willing/transfer of titles", or launch begins when you're able to do these things in the game to obtain a settlement of your own. Another way requires bloodline + in order to achieve if you wish to do it during the times of exposition before launch.

The first way I'll talk about in this post is marriage/contract/co-running. It's been mentioned in the game that you'll be able to marry/co-run a settlement/county/duchy/kingdom via the terms of a contract and how much permission/authority given. However, not a whole lot of detail is given on this subject so you'll have to wait for more information to come soon~

The second way I'll talk about is being able to will/contract/transfer over your/someone else's title for their town. This is in the case where you don't want to run a town, or you want your friend to run your town etc. While there isn't much information available currently on this as well, this is what we do know: before domain/settlement selection you'll be able to transfer title stacks to another account for them to be the actual title holder of the settlement in question, however, doing so (according to [this post] ) will transfer everything related to that specific title as well (full stack of titles, lands, cloaks, surname & crests, etc). If you have another stack of titles left, those remain on your account. You'll also have to account for the influence as that remains with the person who originally purchased the title since its bound to the account.

Willing will be after domain/settlement selection when the land is already chosen, they would be willing the land and title over to you, pretty simple.

The third way you can obtain a mayor/baron title is by creating a settlement by building it from the ground up. You can do this 1 of 2 ways:

1. You can buy a Bloodline+ package and get a ton of exposition points which will allow you to customize fully your new settlement and build it from the ground up.

2. You can try and muster up everything eventually after launch and fully be able to customize your new settlement and build it from the ground up.

However, if you choose to do it this way, you'll be required to meet the requirements of the settlement specified:

• Hamlet: 3 Parcels; 10 people; Well
  • Village: 9 Parcels; 25 people; Tavern
  • Town: 25 parcels; 75 people; Town Hall
  • City: 49 parcels; 150 people; Courthouse
  • Capital: 81 parcels; 250 people; Monument

[Source]

These can all be read more about in this Dev Journal: [Kingdom and Land Management]

9/7/2018 9:22:42 AM #6

FAQ

How Easy is it to Delegate Power?

You delegate to someone else by granting them the right to do a thing you can do as a result of your title. You can technically delegate to anyone, but depending on the right you're assigning that might not make a lot of sense for an NPC. Like if you delegate the right to judge a trial to an NPC, that NPC isn't going to be able to judge a trail the way you would, so it may not make sense to let an NPC have that right. But managing the sale of parcels is probably something they can do without a need for a ton of nuance, so you might delegate that.

[Source]

How Easy is it to Revoke that delegation?

It's pretty easy. You'll have a UI for assigning and revoking rights. (every player will - you use the same UI for designating who can use your stuff at your house, for example)

[Source]

Any advice for someone that is not interested in being a baron and all the ruling/politics bs. but sits on a baron pledge?

There are multiple things that we can advise you to do with this situation:

1. You could give up your mayor title for EP -- this would give you more EP for your start within Exposition if you choose to go that route. It wouldn't give you a whole ton and it wouldn't be equal to the value of your package so it wouldn't be the best idea to do, however, it is an option.

2. You can transfer the title (with the upcoming feature that will be available soon) to someone that you trust, or your count, or your duke etc. This would (most likely as we don't know full details) addon to their settlement size increasing it by approximately 9 parcels. Which is actually a really good idea if this is something you're looking forward to doing.

3. If you're unsure that you want to do that or you don't have anyone currently to do that with or you want to wait till later and its past the point of being able to title transfer you can wait until after domain selection -- pick a suitable location, in a county you like and trust in a kingdom and duchy you like and trust -- and you can "will" over that title to someone you trust to run the domain that you have selected and probably set up during exposition or after launch. Whenever that ability becomes available anyways.

Those are the options that I am currently aware of and I really truly hope that they help!

9/7/2018 9:22:45 AM #7

Post for nobility, gentry and more coming soon~

9/7/2018 10:19:20 AM #8

Jesus Vi, When do you get time to make all of this?

9/7/2018 10:40:24 AM #9

Nice Info for new people

9/7/2018 10:51:47 AM #10

Great guide!

9/7/2018 12:12:52 PM #11

Posted By kkillroyv2 at 04:19 AM - Fri Sep 07 2018

Jesus Vi, When do you get time to make all of this?

When my insomnia kicked in after raid. It took me about, 3 and a half hours while trying to keep conversation in the Coe discord and answering people's questions lol

Thank you all~ I hope it helps out the communities and allows for the links in one place so they know where to go for things

9/7/2018 3:32:27 PM #12

Great info, thank you!

9/7/2018 5:33:49 PM #13

Fantastic information, thank you for a great post!

9/7/2018 10:30:14 PM #14

Thank you~ I hope it helps the various communities.

9/12/2018 8:04:08 PM #15

Thank you! Very helpful guide!

Have the devs mentioned how easy it will be to delegate mayoral responsibilities? I know it can be done in theory, but I don't understand what it would entail. Will I have to find a real life person to accept them or will can it be delegated to an NPC?

Can we revoke the delegate's power? If so, is it trivial to do so?