COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
permanent damage

So, Lets say you are in a fight right? You get your leg damaged or someone stabs you in the eye. Can you lose that eye? can you have a permanent limp? that affects your game play as a pvper or something.

Count Weylyn of Vit Kanin. Friend code B7D0EF

8/13/2018 11:29:13 PM #1

There is a wound system, but the wound system isn't permanent. When you take a wound of that nature, you suffer a debilitating effect until the wound is addressed, or the ongoing nature of the wound takes you beyond incapacitation and you die as if you had been coup de graced by player or monster. Depending on the type of wound, it can be addressed by someone with first-aid, bone setting, surgery, or pharmacology. Once addressed the wound effect is removed, though a particularly nasty wound might leave behind a side-effect that will linger for a bit until you fully recuperate. In any case, once a wound effect is removed, either because you died, it healed on its own, or you found a healer to address it, your normal function will resume.

So, the tl;dr version is that we don't have permanent injuries or scars at present, but we do have a similar system that hands gameplay related elements to being wounded that can be addressed by one of four medical skill-sets.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
8/14/2018 7:49:56 AM #2

Posted By Snipehunter at 5:29 PM - Mon Aug 13 2018

There is a wound system, but the wound system isn't permanent. When you take a wound of that nature, you suffer a debilitating effect until the wound is addressed, or the ongoing nature of the wound takes you beyond incapacitation and you die as if you had been coup de graced by player or monster. Depending on the type of wound, it can be addressed by someone with first-aid, bone setting, surgery, or pharmacology. Once addressed the wound effect is removed, though a particularly nasty wound might leave behind a side-effect that will linger for a bit until you fully recuperate. In any case, once a wound effect is removed, either because you died, it healed on its own, or you found a healer to address it, your normal function will resume.

So, the tl;dr version is that we don't have permanent injuries or scars at present, but we do have a similar system that hands gameplay related elements to being wounded that can be addressed by one of four medical skill-sets.

With you listing those four medical skill-sets, does that mean there aren't any more? Such as Herbology and Apothecary instead of Pharmacology? Yes yes, I know there will be some that argue that both of those can fit in a broad term perspective into the area of Pharmacology, even though the FDA and several other countries organizations do not allow herbs to fall within the purview of a drug definition.

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

8/14/2018 3:01:24 PM #3

Horticulture and alchemy are both skills that can apply to medical matters, but aren't directly considered medical skills. There is likewise, outside of skills, a host of medical knowledge you can learn including "Folk remedies" which is where a lot of "herb-lore" style medicinals can be learned. Knowledge aren't skills, but possessing them enables your character to do new things with skills, so they can be a way to "Specialize" within a skill or, on the opposite side of the coin, take a skill that you have specialized and broaden its applications.

• Snipehunter
8/14/2018 7:57:13 PM #4

I could have sworn I read a dev journal that talked about getting scars on your body from dying. Nothing like missing limbs but things like old sword wounds and things of that nature. Is that no longer the case, Snipe?

8/15/2018 4:29:37 AM #5

Posted By Ayren at 12:57 PM - Tue Aug 14 2018

I could have sworn I read a dev journal that talked about getting scars on your body from dying. Nothing like missing limbs but things like old sword wounds and things of that nature. Is that no longer the case, Snipe?

You are referring to DJ4 where it said: "In addition, when you finally return to the physical plane you’ll find your body now has a permanent scar, a constant reminder of the weakening bond between your body and soul."

8/15/2018 2:45:59 PM #6

Posted By Snipehunter at 7:29 PM - Mon Aug 13 2018

This response made me recall Star Wars galaxies; wherein you would go out adventuring, take damage, and return to a cantina to recharge. Doctors healed certain bars while performers healed others. Is CoE going to be similar in that there am be a room setup in larger towns where adventures visit between trips to get recharged and fixed up? (Intentional use of broad terms)

Kip from Fist of the Empire

Friend code: 72EC67

8/16/2018 3:02:22 PM #7

Posted By KipFoE at 07:45 AM - Wed Aug 15 2018

This response made me recall Star Wars galaxies; wherein you would go out adventuring, take damage, and return to a cantina to recharge. Doctors healed certain bars while performers healed others. Is CoE going to be similar in that there am be a room setup in larger towns where adventures visit between trips to get recharged and fixed up? (Intentional use of broad terms)

Well, mechanically this stuff can happen anywhere the people with the right skills and tools can be found. Which basically means, it's up to the community on each server to decide how they want to address this. Some kingdoms will very likely use inns and taverns as places for folks to meet-up, recharge and maybe even get some basic first-aid, but I think having to track down an actual doctor and their "office" is just as likely, with inns and taverns being more about places to get the latest gossip, maybe pick up a job or meet up with others as you coordinate what you're going to be doing that gaming session.

• Snipehunter
8/16/2018 3:04:27 PM #8

Oh you did, and we haven't given up on the idea per se, but the way the wound system works at present, lasting damage like this can be addressed, so it's not permanent.

• Snipehunter
8/16/2018 6:17:15 PM #9

Posted By Snipehunter at 08:04 AM - Thu Aug 16 2018

Oh you did, and we haven't given up on the idea per se, but the way the wound system works at present, lasting damage like this can be addressed, so it's not permanent.

This was a small worry of mine as I would hate to play an archer that happened to have lost a hand due to a bit of misfortune.

Do some of these injuries last after death and spirit walking? IE if you broke your leg and then were coup de graced would the broken leg still persist after you came back?

8/16/2018 7:39:22 PM #10

Posted By ZorTir at 1:17 PM - Thu Aug 16 2018

Posted By Snipehunter at 08:04 AM - Thu Aug 16 2018

This was a small worry of mine as I would hate to play an archer that happened to have lost a hand due to a bit of misfortune.

Do some of these injuries last after death and spirit walking? IE if you broke your leg and then were coup de graced would the broken leg still persist after you came back?

From the 2nd post in this thread

" In any case, once a wound effect is removed, either because you died, it healed on its own, or you found a healer to address it, your normal function will resume"

8/24/2018 6:27:11 PM #11

Glad I picked up the Physicians Set. Now if only someone could tell me how to use it. Someone want to be my test subject?