COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
crafting/ building

i cant help but wonder how crafting and building will physically work . will it be a automated system where u bring all the materials to the construction site and the house build it self will archeage style ? or will u have to place every brick/lumber ? if so how will lifting a heavy log or wall section work? how will crafting everyday things like crafting a window or blowing glass work ? will u just get the mats and hit craft ?

8/13/2018 11:24:50 PM #1

Hi Blazze,

It's actually somewhere in between. The process begins with a blueprint, which is created by an architect. Once a blue print exists, it can be taken to a build site and the site can be staked out. Once the site is staked out, each of the various "modules" of the house (e.g. each wall piece, each door and door frame, each rooms flooring, etc. -- the "sub-assemblies" of a house) that are called for in the blue print must be manufactured and installed on-site, and in a particular order to build the house. You can't build the room if you haven't laid the foundation, for example. Building a house generally is a process that takes multiple people. (though depending on the house it can be done by a single person, too, at the expense of time, labor, and probably quality)

So, in essence, you start with a blueprint made with architecture, then you stake out a site using surveying, then you build each of the house's components using various trade skills and finally you install each component into the house to assemble and raise the structure.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
8/14/2018 1:27:22 AM #2

I am very much looking forward to this.

Of course as a Duke, I wouldn't possibly lower myself to manual labour, I'll have to pay some contractors to do the job, but hopefully other areas befitting my status are as detailed, such as pharmaceutical manufacturing and compounding. :)

8/14/2018 2:58:34 AM #3

The architecture process is one of the things I am looking forward too, and hope to do in-game. I am curious to see what level of control an architect will have when creating blueprints. Hoping to design many of the buildings in my town (mayor)!

8/14/2018 4:41:15 AM #4

I love every little drop of info I find about this. Thanks Snipehunter!

8/14/2018 10:55:13 AM #5

Posted By Snipehunter at 12:24 AM - Tue Aug 14 2018

Once the site is staked out, each of the various "modules" of the house (e.g. each wall piece, each door and door frame, each rooms flooring, etc. -- the "sub-assemblies" of a house) that are called for in the blueprint must be manufactured and installed on-site, and in a particular order to build the house.

I had a query about this. For certain 'module' pieces (doors, frames, windows, possibly interior non-supporting walls) it might (depending on transportation costs) make more economic sense to produce them en masse elsewhere and transport them to various building sites. This is especially true of somewhat more standardised pieces such as doors and some types of window. Conversely, people might want to transport unique pieces from manufacture points (such as an ornately carved Brudvir column to act as a centrepiece in the third drawing room).

My question is this, would it be possible to follow the examples above or do I have to employ a door maker or column carver on site?

Essentially can I buy prebuilt pieces to fit in my modules as I'm constructing them or does every piece have to be built on site?

(Not that I as Hajime Saito has said would sully my ducal hands with manual labour)

Coming Soon(tm)

8/14/2018 1:54:33 PM #6

I personally want to know how the program is going to act on the architecture front. Is it going to be snapped based with a few tools, like a stripped down version of Revit? Is it going to somehow through some shape filling system allow us to draw it up like in AutoCAD? Will there be standards based on location and biome to help make the buildings cohesive with the surrounding materials? I know there was a prototype or a sketch mockup of the tools at one point, but I'm wondering if anything else was improved upon it.

8/14/2018 2:52:56 PM #7

@Chipla: You can produce the sub-assemblies and move them to a site, if you can work out the logistics of doing so. sub-assemblies in architecture/construction are functionally equivalent to components in other crafts, too: You can swap one compatible sub-assembly for another. And different carpenters and masons can use differing techniques when producing sub-assemblies to impart different properties to them. You might need to source your crown molding from an expert outside your region, or you might prefer the work of Toresk artisans because their wood-work is always well weather-proofed. These sorts of possibilities will need to be considered when building.

Posted By Jouten at 06:54 AM - Tue Aug 14 2018

I personally want to know how the program is going to act on the architecture front. Is it going to be snapped based with a few tools, like a stripped down version of Revit? Is it going to somehow through some shape filling system allow us to draw it up like in AutoCAD? Will there be standards based on location and biome to help make the buildings cohesive with the surrounding materials? I know there was a prototype or a sketch mockup of the tools at one point, but I'm wondering if anything else was improved upon it.

At the moment, it works a lot more like the housebuilding tools in games like the Sims, with the architect's knowledge deciding which sorts of sub-assembly types he or she can draft with.

• Snipehunter
8/14/2018 3:08:26 PM #8

Thank you Snipe. So many people are looking forward to the construction aspect of this game. It sounds amazing and I love the necessary aspect of team work with it.

So many reasons to get wealthy in this game...

8/14/2018 3:51:11 PM #9

Thanks for the info Snipehunter! Do you guys have any thoughts yet on curved walls and stairs and if they will be possible in the architecture tool? like for example if I want to design\build a complex roundhouse. Or a rounded tower\bastion. Or curved stairs around a tree connecting Kypiq housing.

Just curious :)

8/14/2018 3:59:12 PM #10

Posted By Narthesis at 10:51 AM - Tue Aug 14 2018

Thanks for the info Snipehunter! Do you guys have any thoughts yet on curved walls and stairs and if they will be possible in the architecture tool? like for example if I want to design\build a complex roundhouse. Or a rounded tower\bastion. Or curved stairs around a tree connecting Kypiq housing.

Just curious :)

From the hrothi write up

"The architecture of the Hrothi heavily features geometric shapes and patterns. They have one of the most unique looking of architectural styles, being almost entirely comprised of triangles and circles"

i want to say they have said so elsewhere as well, but I can't recall where.

8/14/2018 6:55:25 PM #11

Thanks for the answer Snipehunter.

Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Coming Soon(tm)

8/15/2018 7:08:02 AM #12

Posted By Snipehunter at 4:24 PM - Mon Aug 13 2018

So, in essence, you start with a blueprint made with architecture, then you stake out a site using surveying, then you build each of the house's components using various trade skills and finally you install each component into the house to assemble and raise the structure.

Will EP during Exposition change this process at all?

8/16/2018 3:07:23 PM #13

Posted By malachid at 12:08 AM - Wed Aug 15 2018

Will EP during Exposition change this process at all?

Full structures you purchase with EP and deploy in exposition won't be built this way. You'll essentially "poof" the structure down where you want it on land you have permission to build on and it will instantly appear. However, the structures you can buy with EP are all "standardized" -- if you want custom structures during exposition you will still need an architect's blueprint and you'll have to go through the normal crafting process to build the custom structure.

• Snipehunter
8/16/2018 5:01:53 PM #14

it would be nice to have some parts/Modules in Exposition to combine Standardized building. like a Skyway/Skybridge or something like that.

Kernothia

8/16/2018 5:11:30 PM #15

Posted By LudwigvonBullgardt at 6:01 PM - Thu Aug 16 2018

it would be nice to have some parts/Modules in Exposition to combine Standardized building. like a Skyway/Skybridge or something like that.

Or the Sims style standardised room to plop down.

Or a way to combine standardised buildings (say a barracks, a training field and a set of classrooms to make a military academy (showing off my aspirations a bit))

Coming Soon(tm)