COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
This may sound silly to most...

One part of games I very much enjoy is the character customization & general aesthetic things. I've spent a lot in various mmo's for premium outfits and such, I really like it and it adds a lot to the fun for me.

My question is, has there been much art/in game content showing how the female characters will look? I've seen plenty for the male models but I'm having trouble seeing examples of the female models.

Will clothes be function focused or with there be options for fashion/stylish things? With the lack of + stat maybe?

ayy lmao

8/12/2018 7:16:39 AM #16

There is already a whole lot of information on Elyria's clothes and armor

But I hope armor is just armor and clothes are just clothes, and maybe they can be worn together.

There is also a good information on character creation, but this is roughly how the females look like, if that is what you want to know.

And here is good information on Character creation .

8/12/2018 9:29:06 AM #17

Posted By Elf at 10:05 PM - Sat Aug 11 2018

Posted By grandad1982 at 01:40 AM - Sat Aug 11 2018

Just a note. Cloths won't offer stat increases the same way that lots of other games do it. So no +2 boots of speed, yes to boots that keep your feet warm or protected from the environment.

As to your question, find a decent tailor and you can probably have fashion and function (though compromise may be needed for the best of either part).

Oh? So will the stats be "hidden" then? I can't imagine that cloth would have the same protection as iron armour

Think real world. If you see someone wearing full plate metal armour then you know that they will have much better protection than someone in no armour. See someone wearing a woollen cloak and thick cloths and you know they will deal with cold weather but put them in a hot climate and they will suffer from the heat.

We don't know how the ui will present relevant info to the player as they equip clothing but don't expect to have an armour meter than goes up as you equip stuff (or similar with other stats).

Better quality doesn't necessarily mean better stat increases either, it could just mean its more durable or lighter or looks fancier (though I can see a high quality sword having a better edge for example).

8/12/2018 11:54:45 AM #18

Posted By Gunnlang at 08:57 AM - Sat Aug 11 2018

Posted By 1mmaculateDeception at 01:55 AM - Sun Aug 12 2018

most clothing will be functional. For those wishing to step into the world of fashion, it may not be a cheap thing to do.

Which makes it a good business to run. Knowing there will be many like the OP that want such things.

Everybody will need clothes, everybody will need clothes repaired and everybody wants their Avatar to look as good as possible. Yeah, you could say I agree with you. Hence why I will be getting into that business in game.

8/12/2018 11:36:36 PM #19

I hope there will be a wide variety of clothes bc I have thought of maybe being a seamstress. I see there is clothing crafting in the game thru the tailoring skill. I hope we can make pretty garments just to wear around towns and stuff

8/13/2018 11:19:33 PM #20

Posted By Elf at 2:05 PM - Sat Aug 11 2018

Oh? So will the stats be "hidden" then? I can't imagine that cloth would have the same protection as iron armour

They will definitely protect differently, but it isn't based on an item being "an armor item" or a "clothing item" - it's based on the materials used and the properties imparted the objects as they're crafted by the crafter.

So, in one sense we are "hiding" stats behind properties, because a "sharpened" sword will cut better or a "reinforced" blouse will rip less easily and thus protect some small amount more. However, those items still won't have stats in the traditional sense, even behind the scenes. A "sharpened" sword is not a sword with +2 sharp or something like that, it's a sword whose blade has been sharpened in a crafting process, giving it an edge and that edge allows it to cut more easily, which in turn means it will penetrate some armor more readily. The difference is either huge or very subtle, depending on your perspective of game balance. :)

But, for the purposes of fashion, what it means most is that you have reasons to find a good tailor even if you want a relatively "standard" cut, because in general you will get what you pay for: the skill and artistry of the tailor has mechanisms to show itself that impact the resulting item, first in the form of the properties I mentioned earlier, and secondly in the form of the embellishments they can add to customize the look of a basic pattern recipe.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
8/14/2018 4:21:46 PM #21

Posted By Snipehunter at 4:19 PM - Mon Aug 13 2018

But, for the purposes of fashion, what it means most is that you have reasons to find a good tailor even if you want a relatively "standard" cut, because in general you will get what you pay for: the skill and artistry of the tailor has mechanisms to show itself that impact the resulting item, first in the form of the properties I mentioned earlier, and secondly in the form of the embellishments they can add to customize the look of a basic pattern recipe.

Hope that helps! :)

I'm so fucking stoked to be a tailor! Gimme.

Kypiq proprietor - Weaver/Tailor/Designer - Broad Leaf Forest

8/14/2018 10:44:47 PM #22

I completely understand where you're coming from. Making an interesting/attractive/cool looking character is a big reason why I play MMOs.

CoE has some unique plans as far as character creation goes, in that there will be a genetics system constraining your options. Each race will have different morph values available, as well as exclusive hairstyles and eye colors. Those constraints also apply per family, and allow for cross-breeding.

The idea is to be able to recognize someone from a specific region, tribe, and family just based on physical characteristics. The downside is that you have much less freedom to make your character look exactly the way you want. If you're like me, that prospect is very worrying.

Luckily, we will also have the option to use the character creator unrestricted at the cost of starting the game as an orphan. That's the route I plan to take, unless I particularly fancy the looks of an available starting family.

Referral Code: 912EC9

8/23/2018 7:58:25 PM #23

Thanks Snipe! I am reposting that in our discord channel.