COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Necroing Threads?

Wasn't sure where to put this.

What's up with all these threads getting locked lately?

Since I got here, a bunch of people have gotten backlash for starting new threads about old topics. Now I'm seeing several threads locked for being "necro'd", even though the replies seem to be decent continuations of the conversation (unless I'm missing something?). I thought that it was OK to respond to old topics around here. Pretty sure that the ol' "If I could have any Talent ...." forum has been picked up months after going inactive a bunch of times and it never got locked

This isn't a particularly active forum. Far from it actually. There are few new posts daily, and even fewer new topics. I don't even check in daily anymore its gotten so slow.

I get the purpose of such a rule for other forums, but here not so much, save for stopping conversations that have gotten off topic. A lot of old questions still haven't been answered, plenty have been only answered on the discord, and I mean the game's not even out yet so loads of old topics warrant revisiting. There are new people every day who want to play catch up and get into the discussions the rest of us are done with. Is that not okay to do anymore? Are forums only for discussing current events now?

2A4E09

7/7/2018 9:19:19 PM #1

is it wrong to hope this thread never gets locked so it can get necroed?

7/7/2018 9:24:28 PM #2

Everything OP said is hitting the nail on the head.

This got me a little cranky earlier, myself. Locking a thread simply because it's "necro" is terribly bad for community forums. These threads aren't out of control, toxic, they're not perpetuating "old" information any more than any other thread is and that can easily be corrected rather than locked. Basically there's no excuse for it. "necro" is not a good reason for locking posts! Locking threads throws away context and history of the conversation in the thread. It's frankly stupidly unnecessary. It shuts people down. Discourages participation.

Meanwhile, other threads can go on for pages and pages while also being old? From where I stand, 2 months is not "old and dead". Not to mention (OP is totally right about this) people dropping in to chastise people for starting new threads when there are old ones existing. Come on.

I've complained about locking habits (Necro bs excuse, along with a couple other points) before to SBS and got a very nice response from Serpentius. I hope these moderators can understand the problem and correct their moderation habits.

7/7/2018 9:37:13 PM #3

I was sad to see the Zerg thread get locked for necro. That is one of the topics that I am most interested in. Constructive conversation regarding the game should be encouraged.

How to ask this without sounding rude or sarcastic...how old does a thread have to be before we are not allowed to post on it? Is there a set number of days that mods have been instructed to look for?

Kip from Fist of the Empire

Friend code: 72EC67

7/7/2018 9:38:43 PM #4

It's totally arbitrary! <--- ThIS is what gets me so worked up!

7/7/2018 9:44:25 PM #5

Just saw another locked for necro thread. If my math is right, there was 46 days between posts. Is 46 days really necromancy? Sounds more like a revival.

Kip from Fist of the Empire

Friend code: 72EC67

7/7/2018 9:56:59 PM #6

As far as I am aware, the moderator team is currently working on the "locking threads for necro" umm... Policy? I guess you could call it? I'm not sure how it works with the moderation team not being on it.

Currently theyre working (from what I'm aware) on what should be necro locked and what should be left open that is a necro. They want to allow discussion on certain topics, and it might be best to create a new forum post with the old one linked in it to refer to the context or portions for context. However I believe theyre working on trying to lock threads that have outdated information and can lead to confusion on certain topics.

Which makes complete sense as we don't want to upset people or shy them away with outdated information on things that have clearly changed and changed quite a lot. It also helps saving a lot of explaining for things and trying to reassure someone that the change has been made and that its an old post.

I completely agree that some posts should be left open if they don't contain outdated information that would be conflicting -- but I also like the idea of people making new threads to discuss again bringing up new ideas/perspectives on things and referencing old posts for more information and seeing the change in perspectives or even the change from then and now of peoples ideas.

But as I said -- I think that this is something the moderators are working on. Its good to bring it up on an open space for a moderator team response if possible though ^.^

7/7/2018 10:00:54 PM #7

They are working on the necro? Thats an easy on. None. There isnt one. Posts arent locked for necro period. Oh look, there, I did. Policy solved and no big group needed.

If they are locking them for other reasons, such as outdated information then put that information in there before locking it and sealing it away. Just locking it without a reason, for whatever reason it was, solves nothing and does nothing but make people angry.

7/7/2018 10:12:28 PM #8

Posted By Drair at 4:00 PM - Sat Jul 07 2018

They are working on the necro? Thats an easy on. None. There isnt one. Posts arent locked for necro period. Oh look, there, I did. Policy solved and no big group needed.

If they are locking them for other reasons, such as outdated information then put that information in there before locking it and sealing it away. Just locking it without a reason, for whatever reason it was, solves nothing and does nothing but make people angry.

Incorrect -- to the portion where they just do it for no reason--, they have been locking some necro threads due to outdated information causing confusion. There should be a policy on it. There should be no threads getting necrod with outdated information that would cause issues.

Threads without outdated information it all depends on the thread in question, I dont think a majority of them should be locked however its easier to lock it and start a new one than to sit there and have the voluntary moderators go through every post to see if theres outdated information and or the post isn't something that actually requires being locked as per the ToS/Rules

I fully agree that they should also at least post their reasoning for the post getting locked other than "necro'd"

7/7/2018 10:21:12 PM #9

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 6:12 PM - Sat Jul 07 2018

Posted By Drair at 4:00 PM - Sat Jul 07 2018

Incorrect -- to the portion where they just do it for no reason--, they have been locking some necro threads due to outdated information causing confusion. There should be a policy on it. There should be no threads getting necrod with outdated information that would cause issues.

Threads without outdated information it all depends on the thread in question, I dont think a majority of them should be locked however its easier to lock it and start a new one than to sit there and have the voluntary moderators go through every post to see if theres outdated information and or the post isn't something that actually requires being locked as per the ToS/Rules

If the moderators dont want to do what the volunteered to do and look through the threads they volunteered to moderate, then maybe they shouldn't be moderators. It's literally their job.

You posting this just shows you either didnt read this whole post, or willfully chose to ignore part of it just to push forward your own narrative. I clearly posted that locking threads with outdated information okay. Locking things due to necro are not. Those are two completely different things. "Necroed" threads shouldnt be locked if their only offense is that they are old. Only if the information is already outdated and confused. And then the reason given should be "because its an old thread make a new one", or blank with no reason because those do exist despite your claims they dont, it should be "Because information is outdated and should not be used any longer" or something similar. They are two different things, and the second should be used if ANY thread uses false or outdated info, not just old threads.

7/7/2018 10:28:11 PM #10

Violet.. no. There are threads abounding with "old outdated information" that nobody locks. There's been occasions where SBS staff themselves come in to drop knowledge. There are threads locked with no explanation other than "necro". These locks are capricious and arbitrary and everyone can see it. This is the problem. It is not oh so perfectly reasonable. Nobody buys it.

And until there is a policy in place, they need to stop with the randomly locking threads, not just do it more because they can. There's no accessible posting policy where everyone can see it, read it, understand it and abide by it.

Threads that genuinely do have outdated information or misinformation need to be corrected by staff or moderators before being locked to clear it up. Volunteer or not. By locking, you're just burying in misinformation otherwise, you're not clearing it up. People can still read them. So it's a BS excuse, very arbitrary (what's lockable outdated and what is okay to continue discussing? Nobody knows!)

I've seen threads locked with utterly no explanation at all. Just mid conversation. Shut down. That seems to people like there's no reason other than overzealous modding from bored mods. Something being "easy" to do over the right thing to do is insane, btw. They volunteered to do a job. They're not entitled to laziness because they've volunteered. Outdated information isn't some grenade they have to jump on immediately. Find the time to do it correctly.

In any case, these 4 threads today were a locking spree for necro. Clear as day. It's not hard.

7/7/2018 10:30:40 PM #11

Yeah I was annoyed when there were a couple of threads that were "necro'd" as I wanted to post in them. Oh well.

7/7/2018 11:43:24 PM #12

Posted By Marcusambr at 3:30 PM - Sat Jul 07 2018

Yeah I was annoyed when there were a couple of threads that were "necro'd" as I wanted to post in them. Oh well.

Same here, i just went through the threads and it was locked after locked after locked for... necro'd? they were interesting conversations, one that was bearly over a month old between the last 2 posts and it's not like there was anything outdated about what was being talked about.

7/8/2018 12:35:52 AM #13

maybe if posts are being locked for any reason, and the creation of additional related posts are going un-headed as they are referencing topics that are going a month or so at a time before being locked....perhaps a way of linking said posts to the main post?

Root post, with static links from adjacent related posts...that way it can be referenced while also meeting the potential policy and allowing players the ability to locate information without having to know the search criteria?

7/8/2018 1:39:26 AM #14

I feel two ways about this, as someone that comes onto the forums regularly, always good to see any topic being active. Since overall the forums have been way quieter of late, while not much new info coming out does make sense. So more people posting is good.

On the flip side, it can be annoying to see all these old threads get bumped. They aren't all with out of date info, but it's like someone went through bumping 5+ threads that are all at least a year old. More so when what is added, is even more pointless.

Even though I know what the OP is talking about, since all the threads locked were only 2-3 months old. Which for such an inactive forums, really is fine. But then, the guy also added good points, not like he was just replying for no reason at all either.

7/8/2018 2:00:54 AM #15

We should make a master list of Locked threads that deserve necroing/posting again. I agree that I would like some of the threads discussed more that were killed.

I definitely understand some threads deserve to die like the dirty kypiq scum they are, but there are plenty of good discussions that could do with some necroing with the new information we have today.

THE EMPIRE GUILD

6ADB99