COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What keeps you hyped

Hello. I bought Elyrian starter pack last year in July and I've been checking out the progress of the game since then. But recently, it feels like I am losing my interest.

At first I thought I'd upgrade my pledge in the future, but actually never happened to do so (I am not exactly rich after all, living alone and being handicaped).

The thing is, I see a lot of news about the cash shop items. Mounts, houses, pets, ships etc. The more it goes, the more I feel like we (who can't pay much) are becoming something like "filthy commoners, plebs" etc., like if the game went in the direction of you being recognized by how much you spend.

Talking about "pay to win" model etc. I played a lot of MMOs out there and what makes a lot of them pay to win is different to this game, but in the core, it's the same. More like, this game looks like founder to win. Most MMO's endgame is farming stronger gear to be the best at PvPing. So the pay to win aspect is being able to pay to get better gear, or get it much faster (eg. pay to be the strongest). Of course in CoE it's different. It's not about PvP as much. In CoE it feels like the end game is achieving better social status (eg. becoming recognized as the best hunter, smith, king etc.) So here we are, being able to literally buy probably the most difficult position to achieve - nobility, being able to rule over everyone's life. So if I compare pay to win (pay to get gear to be the best) to this pay to win (pay to increase social status and recognition), does it feel that much different? If you care about being nobility, then huge no. If not, then it's not that bad, but still feels very wrong.

After almost a year, the hype vanished and I feel like coming to a world as a fly, being ruled by everyone else that have more money (kinda like coming to "Rich men playground"). Of course it's just a small portion of the game mechanics (being nobility), as you can be the best smith, hunter etc., but I feel like it will keep going and going, until there is everything in the cash shop (horses, carriages are there already, so will horse breeder be viable? or someone who makes homes, when there was a cottage available to buy?). I know it's about getting funds for the game so they can release it, but they will have to keep getting funds throughout the game's lifespan, so if the cash shop items continue to exist...

I don't know, I'd like to hear from others (preferably people who can't pay much, so they are stuck with the cheapest packages) how they feel and what keeps them hyped, looking forward to play the game.

5/20/2018 1:59:43 AM #31

You are rank 1, you are a pleb... I don't see what all the crying is about. It's almost as if you backed a year ago and didn't see the high priced packages on the same screen or that this game is based on a Feudal Monarchy system.

Weird.

If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization. -Robert Noyce

5/20/2018 2:27:31 AM #32

Arguing. Arguing keeps me hyped.

5/20/2018 11:16:45 AM #33

Posted By Castrator at 03:59 AM - Sun May 20 2018

You are rank 1, you are a pleb... I don't see what all the crying is about. It's almost as if you backed a year ago and didn't see the high priced packages on the same screen or that this game is based on a Feudal Monarchy system.

Weird.

So a low ranked person has no right to talk about his concerns about the game? Just because he does not have that much money to become high ranked? That sounds way weirder to be completely honest.

Of course I saw the pricing and everything, but that does not mean there was any info about cash shop, items for sale, state after release (income wise) etc.

So there is a justified place for concern such as this. And I am not even going to talk about real life situations where you think you will be able to do some things, but it turns out differently, and you become not able to do what you wanted to do (maybe pledging more for example since we are talking about "ranks")

Do not assume.

5/20/2018 11:43:39 AM #34

Posted By Castrator at 11:59 AM - Sun May 20 2018

Weird.

As a super duper rank ten!, I don't really see the relevance in this case. Attempting to create a real distinction between people who've dumped a lot of money on the game and those that haven't doesn't help, either way.

Rybosaurus, I'll say that you probably shouldn't expect to be hyped for the whole development cycle. It just isn't possible, not when there are long stretches of silence because they have to build boring (but necessary) systems.

Interest in the game should be rekindled as we get closer to launch and people can see more stuff - there's no expectation for you to keep interested. Heck, even I dropped off from looking at the game for a few months during the dry spell around the end of last year.

5/20/2018 4:37:32 PM #35

Castrator

Actually, you are just (passively-aggresively) poking into everyone that "dares" to talk back to you it seems. Without any reason or any constructive comment. Not sure who is the one arguing but let's leave it at that.

I am not here to create keyboard warriors, so I won't respond to you anymore.

Anyway, I am glad to hear other people's opinion. Helped me clear things up :)

5/20/2018 5:56:13 PM #36

This will be either one of the best MMOs I have ever played if they manage to get 75% of promised stuff. It might still be pretty good even if we get 30%. Or it might be a complete flop however I dont think it will be.

5/20/2018 11:01:58 PM #37

Posted By Mesis at 7:56 PM - Sun May 20 2018

This will be either one of the best MMOs I have ever played if they manage to get 75% of promised stuff. It might still be pretty good even if we get 30%. Or it might be a complete flop however I dont think it will be.

Same for me. MMOs became boring, the same stuff over and over again, just a different coat. CoE tries to deliver something new. A big change and I hope it will work well. I would love to see MMORPG genre take a different path and be great again.

5/21/2018 5:00:04 PM #38

I feel exact same as OP. I followed the game development since early 2016 till end of 2017. I was saving money in a can till I decide to help developers. Then I saw the game development direction went to, the more money you sank in the game the more successful you will become, another kind of pay to win.

Since then I have no hype, when I have spare time I still check forums if anything changed in the direction developers took. This is not a game that you can buy a spark of life and enjoy, you need to put your hands deep into your wallet to enjoy it.

I do not spam and write too often in forums therefore please do not think I am a troll account. This was my concern also that OP wrote, that's why I wanted to share it. If the game does not want to suffer population wise, the developers should stop milking the same whales over and over as their demands becoming more and more and the gap between lower tier pledges becoming deeper and deeper.

Have a nice day all!

5/24/2018 2:37:15 AM #39

Building a Giant underground city.

Baldrin 'Goat Lord' Hammerfist

5/24/2018 3:23:58 AM #40

Posted By Thalmar at 07:00 AM - Mon May 21 2018

I feel exact same as OP. I followed the game development since early 2016 till end of 2017. I was saving money in a can till I decide to help developers. Then I saw the game development direction went to, the more money you sank in the game the more successful you will become, another kind of pay to win.

Since then I have no hype, when I have spare time I still check forums if anything changed in the direction developers took. This is not a game that you can buy a spark of life and enjoy, you need to put your hands deep into your wallet to enjoy it.

I do not spam and write too often in forums therefore please do not think I am a troll account. This was my concern also that OP wrote, that's why I wanted to share it. If the game does not want to suffer population wise, the developers should stop milking the same whales over and over as their demands becoming more and more and the gap between lower tier pledges becoming deeper and deeper.

Have a nice day all!

How do you propose SBS gets the funds needed until they can find an investor?

Friend Code: CB1D33