COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What keeps you hyped

Hello. I bought Elyrian starter pack last year in July and I've been checking out the progress of the game since then. But recently, it feels like I am losing my interest.

At first I thought I'd upgrade my pledge in the future, but actually never happened to do so (I am not exactly rich after all, living alone and being handicaped).

The thing is, I see a lot of news about the cash shop items. Mounts, houses, pets, ships etc. The more it goes, the more I feel like we (who can't pay much) are becoming something like "filthy commoners, plebs" etc., like if the game went in the direction of you being recognized by how much you spend.

Talking about "pay to win" model etc. I played a lot of MMOs out there and what makes a lot of them pay to win is different to this game, but in the core, it's the same. More like, this game looks like founder to win. Most MMO's endgame is farming stronger gear to be the best at PvPing. So the pay to win aspect is being able to pay to get better gear, or get it much faster (eg. pay to be the strongest). Of course in CoE it's different. It's not about PvP as much. In CoE it feels like the end game is achieving better social status (eg. becoming recognized as the best hunter, smith, king etc.) So here we are, being able to literally buy probably the most difficult position to achieve - nobility, being able to rule over everyone's life. So if I compare pay to win (pay to get gear to be the best) to this pay to win (pay to increase social status and recognition), does it feel that much different? If you care about being nobility, then huge no. If not, then it's not that bad, but still feels very wrong.

After almost a year, the hype vanished and I feel like coming to a world as a fly, being ruled by everyone else that have more money (kinda like coming to "Rich men playground"). Of course it's just a small portion of the game mechanics (being nobility), as you can be the best smith, hunter etc., but I feel like it will keep going and going, until there is everything in the cash shop (horses, carriages are there already, so will horse breeder be viable? or someone who makes homes, when there was a cottage available to buy?). I know it's about getting funds for the game so they can release it, but they will have to keep getting funds throughout the game's lifespan, so if the cash shop items continue to exist...

I don't know, I'd like to hear from others (preferably people who can't pay much, so they are stuck with the cheapest packages) how they feel and what keeps them hyped, looking forward to play the game.

5/18/2018 4:00:45 PM #1

For me personally I am excited mainly because this game on paper has everything I've been waiting for in this type of game. I am excited to just live my life in elyria. Now part of the reason I backed the game for as much as I have is because I've always been a fan of becoming part of the creation of a game but I've never actually been anyone of note. I've always been bottom of the bag. This is the first time I've felt like I'll have the chance to at least be somebody who can make a difference. Though the more I've thought about it and the more I play out in my head what I want to do, the less I realize I desire nobility. The cost for one and I know that no matter where I start, I won't keep it forever, most likely anyway. Nobility puts a target on your back, not to mention the responsibility. And there's also the discouragement of seeing people talk about how their 16 counties won't be enough for them and they're debating on more... me personally, I have never spent as much money on a game as this, not to mention an unfinished game. It's just not possible for many people to be the top. I just want to find my place. So even though I have a governor package, I've been considering turning it into ep and just getting a large amount of land in a city and just renting out residential and commercial space and just doing what I want to do. It's all about finding your place living your life. Nothing is permanent, not even in Elyria.

5/18/2018 4:07:23 PM #2

I hear what you're saying Rybosaurus, and believe it or not, that's a concern even among players who have pledged a lot. Many of us are here because we hate the increasingly common microtransaction model inherent in MMOs today.

What impresses me is how committed SBS has been to the promise to not go down that same road. They've also said that the shop is going away once the game launches, so while you are correct that people are giving money and gaining rewards/position as a result, this is to support the character concepts they have in mind for the start of the game and to help make the game a reality.

Not everybody needs to or wants to be a king or noble or merchant at launch, and that's perfectly fine. But these roles will exist whether PCs inhabit the characters or they are controlled by NPCs and most importantly, they are not permanent. They can and will change as people play the game.

Have you considered finding a community to join and participating on discord? That's one of the things that's definitely helping me pass the time, especially spending time with players who have similar interests. If you are concerned about your relevance, this is probably the best way to make sure that you don't just become that "fly in the world" you're worried about becoming. Stay connected. Stay relevant.

Hope you stick around!

5/18/2018 4:11:21 PM #3

Jeromy and I may be at different levels, but our vision is in harmony. By the end of the year, this game will be playable at some level and there is the promise of much more to come.

My hope for this game extends beyond CoE though. My hope is that CoE sets the standard so that in 5-10 years, not adhering to the MEOW model for a MMORPG makes as much sense as a car manufacturer not including a steering wheel. Having shown that it can be done and done well will revolutionize gaming. And I think that frightens and threatens some people.

• I'm big enough to forgive you. But I'm not stupid enough to trust you again. (A29D00/#9056)
5/18/2018 4:19:36 PM #4

I can't tell you how to feel, but as for me, I will probably have little to zero interaction with any king. So I really don't have to worry about a king ruling over my life. Sure, they will set laws to live by, but I think I picked a kingdom whose laws I can agree with and anticipate that I'll mostly be left alone to my own devices.

As for any amount pledged, thank you. I think the only one judging how much you may have spent backing the game is you. Any contribution and interest in the game is appreciated and equal to some extent. We've all pledged what we're comfortable spending and we're all playing our own game with our own goals.

5/18/2018 4:20:48 PM #5

SbS has a store with expensive packages and goodies. There is no denying that. The reason why I didn't pledge back last October was because I was shocked by some of the pricing. And I must be honest and admit I still am.

But the thing is, CoE isn't really "pay 2 win".

What you buy though the store is a temporary advantage and the ability to "start" at a certain place on the social ladder. But no matter how much money you pump into it, you may loose all of that in the blink of an eye. Imagine you buy a duchy, fifty different buildings, eighty mounts and who knows what else. You place it all during exposition but then.. Some assassin comes along, and kills you and your heir(s). Suddenly, you've lost it all. All that money gone. Poof.

An interesting note, perhaps, is that Caspian stated: "I think there is about a 90% chance that a king will be de-throned in the first month."

Go figure ;).

I won't deny spending cash buys you an edge. I, for example, will have a mount from day one. But what if it gets mauled the second I use it? Poof. Gone.

That's the beauty of Elyria's realism, I think. All boons are temporary, and you've got to work hard to maintain them :). The fact that so many people are able and willing to fund this game in large amounts is pretty amazing.

As for what keeps me excited... Well, the increased pace of the news, the tribes, all the concept art, the crafting redux... There is a lot to be exited about, tbh. And being on discord and seeing the devs actively engaging the community is icing on the cake.

5/18/2018 4:38:53 PM #6

Posted By KearaLoar at 6:20 PM - Fri May 18 2018

Imagine you buy a duchy, fifty different buildings, eighty mounts and who knows what else. You place it all during exposition but then.. Some assassin comes along, and kills you and your heir(s). Suddenly, you've lost it all. All that money gone. Poof.

That is hilarious :)

It can go fast, but not that fast. That assassin has to kill you multiple times, maybe more than 20 or 30 times. I am quite sure any noble will learn how to avoid that after the fourth or fifth time being killed. There will not be a point in killing heirs, as an noble doesn't have to point a heir right away. He can wait until the time is right. S/he has the time to point one when a potential heir is between 16 and 52.

5/18/2018 5:15:55 PM #7

Posted By Ilyria at 6:38 PM - Fri May 18 2018

Imagine you buy a duchy, fifty different buildings, eighty mounts and who knows what else. You place it all during exposition but then.. Some assassin comes along, and kills you and your heir(s). Suddenly, you've lost it all. All that money gone. Poof.

It can go fast, but not that fast. That assassin has to kill you multiple times, maybe more than 20 or 30 times. I am quite sure any noble will learn how to avoid that after the fourth or fifth time being killed. There will not be a point in killing heirs, as an noble doesn't have to point a heir right away. He can wait until the time is right. S/he has the time to point one when a potential heir is between 16 and 52.

I think the trick lies in killing the entire family, You can spark into family members, so as long as you kill all viable 'targets for sparking'... You don't need to kill them 20 or 30 times. You only need to kill them faster than they can procreate. If the family line dies out, the player behind it is done for.

But, long story short: since Caspian said kings can be overthrown in a month, I reckon dukes can as well ;).

5/18/2018 5:19:09 PM #8

Posted By KearaLoar at 7:15 PM - Fri May 18 2018

I think the trick lies in killing the entire family, You can spark into family members, so as long as you kill all viable 'targets for sparking'... You don't need to kill them 20 or 30 times. You only need to kill them faster than they can procreate. If the family line dies out, the duchy is done for.

Since Caspian said kings can be overthrown in a month, I reckon dukes can as well ;).

Wrong, every time when you kill the noble, all he has to do is spiritwalk back to his body. You can't win it. I personally have 22 sparks for heirs.

Note to self: Do not hire KearaLoar as an assassin :)

5/18/2018 5:37:54 PM #9

Posted By Ilyria at 10:19 AM - Fri May 18 2018

Posted By KearaLoar at 7:15 PM - Fri May 18 2018

I think the trick lies in killing the entire family, You can spark into family members, so as long as you kill all viable 'targets for sparking'... You don't need to kill them 20 or 30 times. You only need to kill them faster than they can procreate. If the family line dies out, the duchy is done for.

Since Caspian said kings can be overthrown in a month, I reckon dukes can as well ;).

Wrong, every time when you kill the noble, all he has to do is spiritwalk back to his body.

Ilyria, the more notoriety you have the more spirit loss you incur upon death. A king can only die a few times before permadeath. Even mayors and Barons will be affected by this, so your assertion that Nobles can die 20 or 30 times is probably untrue. There are also other factors at play such as the additional difficulty every time you spirit walk or potential succession/inheritance issues if a Noble dies unexpectedly.

NA-W, Governor of Ogralyn

5/18/2018 5:39:44 PM #10

Posted By Ilyria at 7:19 PM - Fri May 18 2018

Wrong, every time when you kill the noble, all he has to do is spiritwalk back to his body.

Miscommunication here :P. I was talking about perma-death for which you need only one (which may require multiple coup de grâce's), whereas you were talking about coup de grâce's.

Yes, you need a few coup de grâce's. But since each one takes quite a large chunk of life force, because of fame tied to the title of 'duke' and their in-game actions, you shouldn't need all that many of them. I believe 5-6 was mentioned for kings at some point. No idea how many you'd need for a duke, but it would be warped if it is anywhere near 20. As for how easy it is to prevent being killed. Well... The duke could hide a bunker, but that would severely compromise their ability to do their job. Which, in time, would cost them their job.

You may feel like... "Yes, but!". But I'd like to ask you not to get stuck on my specific example. Caspian said kings could be overthrown in a month. So there's no real reason for assuming dukes are guaranteed more safety than their lieges. If my example doesn't work out, there will be other methods.

Don't stare yourself blind on an example. Look at the bigger picture ;).

Also...

Is an assassin settling for coup de grâce rather than perma-death really an assassin? If you only coup de grâce a problematic duke, the problem still remains because you didn't kill them properly. And if you don't prevent them sparking into their heir, you still didn't kill them properly. That's the way I see it, anyway. shrugs

5/18/2018 5:49:19 PM #11

Posted By KearaLoar at 7:39 PM - Fri May 18 2018

Point is though. Caspian said kings could be overthrown in a month. What's your argumentation for saying the same cannot happen for dukes?

Don't stare yourself blind on an example. Look at the bigger picture ;).

Nobody lives forever. Being a noble is dangerous and a big responsibility. It may be a relieve losing that burden and become a commoner and have a house and a garden. I am not afraid. I played in other games having that, and it is still fun. Having a pole and do some fishing, I am an experienced commoner, so I don't see a downside on losing my nobility.

5/18/2018 6:02:13 PM #12

To speak to the original topic - at one point, I did completely lose interest. I pledged to the game and kept up with new info voraciously for a few months, but found it hard to stay hyped. Lost track of CoE for about a year.

Now, there's new info, new developments, new screenshots to come back to, new changes to old concepts, and I'm really relishing it all. I can see how it'd be tough to stay excited on a "waiting for the next morsel" basis.

Right now, here's something that keeps me looking forward to the game: exposition is for the benefit of players like you. If you want to be an explorer, you could seek out an explorer's guild on your server to supply you. If you want to craft, there will be crafting guilds, schools, and organizations with public crafting stations. There are going to be people who use their piles of EP to actually benefit other players, and those are the settlements I think you might want to seek out on your server. I'm excited about the crafting systems and cartography, so that's what I look for when I look at domain posts.

I don't want to write a goofy "It could be rewarding to build up a hamlet or come into power in a NPC county in-game" paragraph, even though I feel that way- I see where you're coming from about positions of power being bought, and as you mentioned, I don't have much of an emotional stake since settlement leadership isn't a personal interest of mine. Sorry that I can't offer much on this topic!

In short- No shame in taking a break. Find what facet of the game you're excited about and who else is excited about it. Keep an eye out for domains or organizations providing in-game resources related to your interests!

5/18/2018 6:03:03 PM #13

The biggest problem I see with the OP's comments is his (apparent) emphasis on being nobility as the "win condition".

One of the things I am most excited about in regards to CoE is the freedom to pursue what you want - the "virtual world" in its entirety.

That means, for some, the "win condition" will be to be a renowned blacksmith (or any other type of crafter). For others, it will be to create detailed maps of the whole continent. Or to run a small hamlet as a benevolent mayor who hosts monthly keggers. Or to breed the best horses. Or become an infamous assassin or pirate.

The list is almost endless.

By boiling down your examination of CoE to a bare "I win if I am nobility", you are essentially ignoring 99% of the game.

The impression I am getting from your comments is that you are approaching CoE in a manner similar to how you would the rest of those "P2W" games you are talking about. You are obsessed with the "end-game" (and only 1 small portion of it, at that). You have picked one "win condition" and then decided that everything in the shop supports that 1 (out of hundreds) condition, so it must be P2W, right?

In the end, if the only way to "win" in your mind is to be a king from day 1, then yes, the shop may indeed be P2W in your book.

However, if your goal is simply to be king "one day", then I have fantastic news!

CoE is all about the journey. Start taking shit over. Gather like-minded individuals and take over a town (via a number of ways). Grow your political/military might. Create a propaganda campaign against the local Count to lower his reputation. Get leverage on the existing Duke to blackmail him into making you the new count. Begin undermining the Duke by presenting the King with evidence that his Duke is corrupt, and "Oh, by the way, I have a larger following than he does since my people prefer the way I rule to the way he does".

The story goes on.

This is simply one example (granted, not a very good one - I am not a writer) of the journey your character might take. There is an unlimited amount of other paths to "winning".

What makes you think you have to spend a lot of money to create your own journey? Is it simply because someone else has something you don't?

EDIT:

I did see you touched on some of the points I made, but you seem to be forgetting one key "ingredient".

Everything can be killed/taken away.

Everything in the shop (and I do mean everything with the exception of the actual souls/sparks) can be killed, stolen, die of old age, drown in a flood, catch a disease, sink in the river, etc, etc, etc...

All buying packages, items, horses, etc. does is give you a bit of a head start.

Don't forget, that those people investing all that money, they are the ones actually building the world you will be playing in come launch. We are literally paying for the privilege of helping build the world/story for you to take part in. We are investing that money knowing full well that as soon as the "floodgates" open, every Tom, Dick, and Harry will be tromping around, trying to kill, steal, or destroy just about everything we spent said monies on.

Yes, we get a small "headstart".

We also are risking more that anyone else since what I spent $100 bucks on, someone has the chance to steal in 5 minutes if I am not paying attention.

So, frankly...a bit of tough love here.

Suck it up, butter-cup. Get some perspective. You want it? Once you get in game...

Come take it.

Imgur

5/18/2018 7:37:48 PM #14

Thank you everyone, I am surprised by how many people responded.

As probably everyone, I was excited thanks to the mechanics this game wants to bring. MMOs these days forget the most crucial part of the genre - a way to become someone. There used to be games where you could be recognized by the whole server as someone and not just a random guy grinding. But nowadays every MMO you play, you are just a random guy recognized by your own guild only. That and a lot of interesting story mechanics got me into this game so much.

My goal is not nobility, even though it might have sounded like it is. I am just a bit cautious about said pay to win and griefing that roams 95% of MMOs out there (I experienced guys that put thousands of dollars just to harass and completely destroy everyone's fun even though they got shut down eventually). As I said, there is much to do everywhere, be it the road to get somewhere or be someone. Maybe I am just thinking too much about it. Maybe it is a great move that will work well and we will be able to create the best MMO out there, be it thanks to you founder guys preparing the world and taking huge responsibility to help others, or be it thanks to the whole community creating the most immersive world.

I am glad people pointed out some info that I did not realize. Guess there is no point in worrying. I'll "suck it up" and believe the game will turn out great and we will finally have a second world to be in.

5/18/2018 7:47:05 PM #15

Unfortunately, some of what you are concerned about is simply human nature.

There will be griefers. There will be people who dedicate their time to ruining the gaming experience of others.

This has been around as long as MMO's have been around - P2W and cash shops haven't really changed anything, they just lowered the barrier to entry, so to speak. We can only hope that SBS will take steps to prevent griefing as much as is reasonable.

On the flip side, it also should probably be said that some of what is considered "griefing" will actually be encouraged.

Think "EVE".

So called "scamming", espionage, stealing, pking, rumor-mongering, backstabbing, political intrigue, etc. are all hard-baked into the game.

Right now, assuming SBS delivers, there really isn't anything to compare it to. Nothing we can look at and say "make sure this type of thing does/doesn't happen". With all the new systems, HUGE amounts of space to traverse, no real "gear" to make people OP, players making their own laws (and being responsible for enforcing them), fully open PvP (with consequences enforced by local laws/players/guards), everyone technically online 24/7, NPC's basically acting as other players, etc. - it's all virgin territory.

People will still find ways to ruin your day, but you also have numerous tools to prevent that behavior (or get revenge if the situation warrants it).

It's a scary new world in CoE.

Imgur