COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Character names

I really hope the Devs implement some sort of name filter, I miss the days when SOE actually did it according to Gaelic appropriate names, and you werent getting RP'd by Nineinch Penis.

Is there any indication of a name filter, I hope so.

5/17/2018 5:47:04 PM #1

They are certainly trying to limit this sort of thing insofar as they can. Player selected surnames have already gone through an approval process, and obviously NPC families will have tribe appropriate names for players to spark into.

5/17/2018 7:09:18 PM #2

They're constantly rejecting names that either break immersion or are inappropriate. Example; Haid D'Salaami

5/17/2018 8:49:44 PM #3

All the surnames are manually approved.

Not sure how they'll handle the character names though. As it may be a lot of work to approve/deny all of them manually.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

5/19/2018 7:04:35 AM #4

I imagine they'll be more flexible with first names purely out of necessity. most likely will put a filter to make sure people don't have something like "penisface" but you might get alot of bobs

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

5/19/2018 11:10:48 AM #5

Posted By Pieoflords at 9:04 PM - Fri May 18 2018

I imagine they'll be more flexible with first names purely out of necessity. most likely will put a filter to make sure people don't have something like "penisface" but you might get alot of bobs

I misread that as 'boobs'.

Friend Code: CB1D33

5/20/2018 7:12:25 PM #6

I can almost guarantee that there will be a lot of boobs in the game, but they will be of the web-footed kind we hope 🙄

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

5/20/2018 8:52:08 PM #7

Given how crazy the generated names for the Tribes are I kinda hope they don't enforce those naming conventions on us. Imagine having to be an Eispwied Snage.

That said, obviously inappropriate stuff and immersion breaking stuff should (and probably will) be rejected.

5/23/2018 10:13:49 PM #8

I'm confident it will have a filter like most games, but likely a bit more robust. Since there won't be much of an issue with overlapping given names, due to surnames, it's likely they can create more restrictions than most games would in order to preserve aesthetics. Clearly inappropriate names would be filtered out. Surname reg is regulated so it would make sense to have a given name filter in place.

The Akashic Records

5/24/2018 7:25:46 AM #9

It's a tricky balance. Not all "immersion-breaking" names will be crude jokes, and plenty of reasonable names have naughty words in them.

For example: a name like Dick Muffinworth has two words in it that could trigger the filter, despite being well within the range of plausibility, whereas a name like Darkshadow NinjaLord isn't, despite having no profanity.

Referral Code: 912EC9