COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Catching Criminals

This may have been asked already, but I've been searching and haven't found anything so here goes something:

If we are chasing a known criminal how are we supposed to catch him? I'm assuming we first have to incapacitate him, but then what? Do we bind him with rope and drag him back to town/prison? Do we wait for them to wake up and walk them back? Regardless of what the criminal has done how are we supposed to catch them once they are being hunted down?

5/15/2018 9:57:36 AM #1

'm pretty sure they won't be captured/imprisoned, and prison time will just be simulated by reducing their lifespan.

And you'll be free to take any stolen items of their body while incapacitated, If they have them with them.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

5/15/2018 11:26:37 AM #2

Posted By zimmah at 10:57 AM - Tue May 15 2018

'm pretty sure they won't be captured/imprisoned, and prison time will just be simulated by reducing their lifespan.

And you'll be free to take any stolen items of their body while incapacitated, If they have them with them.

For the court/trial mechanics to work as SbS have suggested there needs to be a method to compel the accused to attend court.

While there may not be any long-term imprisonment there still needs to be mechanics related to getting prisoners to court and of holding them until such a time as the court was ready to hear their case.

Coming Soon(tm)

5/15/2018 12:10:18 PM #3

Drag them to prison? No no that can't do.

Kill the bandits while screaming "I am the law!" /s

Tbh I'd be interested to see if barons can act as Judge Dredds.

5/15/2018 12:16:36 PM #4

Posted By chipla at 1:26 PM - Tue May 15 2018

Posted By zimmah at 10:57 AM - Tue May 15 2018

For the court/trial mechanics to work as SbS have suggested there needs to be a method to compel the accused to attend court.

While there may not be any long-term imprisonment there still needs to be mechanics related to getting prisoners to court and of holding them until such a time as the court was ready to hear their case.

Ah, good point.

Count LizenÇace VeLeîjres of Mydra's Crossing, VII of the order of the IX.

Order of IX

5/15/2018 12:17:14 PM #5

Use a converted wagon as a prison wagon 😁 and transport to court 😉 maybe..

Alduin

5/15/2018 12:17:58 PM #6

(Dupe post -Disregard)

5/15/2018 2:46:23 PM #7

When a contract is believed to be broken, and assuming you have a copy of the contract, you can go to an individual responsible for up holding the law and use it to generate a Bounty Token. This token gives the possessor the right to apply consequence to the person who broke the contract. This can mean taking money or items off of them, reclaiming things from their homes, or even incapacitating them and bringing them back to face justice.[1]

Source

So depends entirely on what contract/law is broken how he offender is brought to justice.

5/15/2018 4:08:47 PM #8

Been arguing this for a while, if theres no way to rope someone and drag them then there is no point in much of anything, unless the criminal is a hardcore RPer then you can RP till your hearts content. Honestly I don't understand the mechanic of it all and im sure neither does anyone else, but lets look at other games. Reign of kings, someone stole your treasure, you rope them and take them to a cage if you didnt want to just kill them on the spot, the RP from it all was perfect and fun. Second life, you get captured and the same is given, you're roped up and dragged to a cage and rped either ransoming you or simply taking your things as a punishment and free'd. because of the rope system in games alot of the time people would just capture people instead of killing them on the spot. Im an adult so being roped up dragged around doesnt bother me it sounds much better then having my head lopped off since Im a Count and Perma death can happen....I honestly cant wrap my head around why people wouldnt want this unless their young and inexperinced or actually the criminals that are hoping to get away with everything and rob the world.

"Whats normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.”

5/15/2018 4:21:00 PM #9

If someone has a Bounty Token on a criminal it will be possible for them to incapacitate the person and bring them to justice. Here is an old description of the mechanic:

The bounty token, allows you to incapacitate somebody and then bind them for the purpose of taking them back towards a jail house or court-house, that sort of thing. The system is not designed to allow you to bind somebody indefinitely and to kind of wander them off into the desert and leave them there and that sort of thing.

There is actually a time limit on the amount of time you can bind somebody and then it sets them free. So if you were to take somebody, bind them and work on taking them back into town, at some point they might actually get free through their efforts, or at the very least we’re looking at making it so that you have to be making progress towards an objective.

Source – Q&A

The KickStarter EP Charts (found near the bottom of this page) also list one of the vehicles as a ‘Paddy Wagon’ which is slang term for a vehicle used by police to transport suspected (or known!) criminals, so it looks like we won’t have to be dragging these people around by hand all the time either.

People will want to capture rather than kill criminals as the punishments for crimes will stack and can far exceed the basic death toll a player will experience. It is in peoples interest to use the justice system.

However, you cannot capture those that do not have a Bounty Token against them. This way you avoid frustrating gameplay where people try to take way an innocent persons right to play, unless of course you go through the effort to actually use game mechanics to frame them for a crime.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

5/15/2018 4:53:13 PM #10

Thanks VictoriaRachel and everyone else. That helps. I've been looking for this info for a few weeks now. :)

5/15/2018 11:54:34 PM #11

To add to what Victoria and Malais said:

• A bounty token must be attained to bring any criminal to justice. That leads me to believe that a bounty token against a thief penalizes the player with spirit loss when confronted with the token to retrieve the stolen items. If the player has committed a serious crime or several crimes the spirit loss the bounty token would inflict on the individual would be higher. I assume this is the reason for bringing the player towards an "objective" to seek justice is because the player is to incur a greater amount of spirit loss than they have spirit, so they are being brought back to be executed. (Yes, I am predicting public executions of some deviants).

• Deviants who are incapacitated and tied to be brought back for justice have to be en route and may not deviate from the objective to prevent players from griefing one another using the bounty token system. This is also the reason for the time limit as to prevent them from essentially being "jailed".

• Evidence must be collected for a bounty token. There are many types of evidence to be gathered depending on the crime as the Communication Developer Journal has illustrated for us.

• Even with proper evidence you still have to incapacitate your target. A lone bandit would be easier to incapacitate than a group of bandits who are able to defend themselves against a similar size group of individuals trying to bring justice to them. Do not fear. I'm sure additional bounty tokens can be generated for the same individual to be passed out to justice seekers to ensure the numbers game I've described isn't an issue for capture.

I hope that helps. There will be various levels of punishment for various crimes, all of which will be outlined in the laws during Exposition and modified by players from that point forward. There will likely be a design journal that discusses this topic and other topics pertaining to deviant activities, bringing them to justice, and laws. We first needed the communications DJ (which I absolutely loved) as a foundation for this very topic.

5/16/2018 12:24:41 AM #12

There must be more to it than just the bounty token. Let's say I am a merchant and I have a caravan with a guard. If we get attacked by bandits I should be able to make a citizen's arrest. Likewise if I catch somebody robbing me I shouldn't be expected to let them go and then try to find them later after I have a bounty token.

NA-W, Governor of Ogralyn

5/16/2018 1:14:11 AM #13

Posted By silentechoes13 at 8:24 PM - Tue May 15 2018

There must be more to it than just the bounty token. Let's say I am a merchant and I have a caravan with a guard. If we get attacked by bandits I should be able to make a citizen's arrest. Likewise if I catch somebody robbing me I shouldn't be expected to let them go and then try to find them later after I have a bounty token.

You see a crime happen you can do something about it. If flags the person as a criminal if you see it. I forgot which video had that information in it but it was said in one of the Q&As.

5/16/2018 1:21:38 AM #14

That's a fair cop - in situ, the victim of a crime should have the right to defend themselves and their property unless that right is otherwise abrogated by some superseding law. Mechanically you can think of this ideal as something like "the act of committing a crime should open up a 'window of reprisal' for a limited time within which the aggrieved party may deal with the problem on their own."

In all fairness, I'm not guaranteeing that's how it will work but I don't expect you to catch a cutpurse of a pickpocket in the act, let them get the loot and run, and then go find a guard. The tricky edge-case there is explaining to the guard what happened if someone else reported your reprisal without seeing the original crime.

Hope that helps! :)

• Snipehunter
5/16/2018 2:05:33 AM #15

Posted By Deftly at 6:14 PM - Tue May 15 2018

Posted By silentechoes13 at 8:24 PM - Tue May 15 2018

You see a crime happen you can do something about it. If flags the person as a criminal if you see it. I forgot which video had that information in it but it was said in one of the Q&As.

That was a 10k Q&A. I asked the question. Then I transcribed it and asked for it to be allowed on General Discussion. Here is the question and answer:

Q1. Say you are coming back from resource gathering with some people and your group is accosted by bandits. Your group is successful in incapacitating the bandits. Can you then tie the bandits up and force them to come with you to be handed over to the local sheriff / magistrate even though you don't have a bounty token yet for them?

A1. Yea because they broke a law. They'd be flagged as criminals because they broke a law. Yes you can. Implicit contracts like laws, if somebody breaks one of those laws and you witness it... then to everybody who witnessed it they become violators and you basically get a free bounty token. There are no bounty tokens necessarily for law breakers, they just, anybody can do it.