COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Racial/Biome Discrimination

Do you guys wonder if the developer focus on the Silverrun Demo may be inadvertently pushing people toward the related biomes (alpine/grassland/tundral mountains)?

While this isn't a big deal, as a backer I'd hope the devs can start to flesh out some of the other tribes/biomes before name selection and other areas of the game so I can make a more educated decision about naming, settlement selection, etc.

Everyone becoming attached to the northern animals and location may lead to them making a last name that fits with that tribe and catering their recruitment for the locations they enjoy. When locations are all just words except for two it's going to be hard to inspire confidence in recruiting for regions outside of the demo. It also can mislead people into dedicating themselves to a region that they find out isn't their favorite until it's too late.

Evidence points to the reality: neran and brudvir locations have been the only fleshed out areas as it comes to wildlife and the top two tribe preferences are Neran and Brudvir in any major community poll.

Would beginning to flesh out these other areas (even just with basic concept sketches of creatures and architecture) earlier rather than later help even out the existing disparity?

Is it important that this happens before surname selection?

2/22/2018 9:07:49 PM #1

I for one have been begging the devs to show us more of the animals in the tropical areas and just concept art of any other region than the North.

But maybe they just focused on showing the traditional fantasy setting for the kickstarter and promotion and stuff as that setting is what most gamers are used to.

we are seeing more biomes however, we've seen allot of the tropical rainforest an swamps so that's good. But I still want some animal concepts and mounts for the southern regions because every animal we know of is native to the northern areas of Neran and Brudvir.

2/22/2018 9:44:22 PM #2

While I have seen numerous reasons folks have posted to delay surname selection this is a definite first.

I’m traditionally all for folks thinking outside the box and finding problems that will rear up in unexpected ways. But if you draw this out to make all biomes as equally complete we will be waiting until nearly launch before we are able to actually select surnames and begin prelaunch experiences.

So no I disagree 100% with your assertion.

To move forward folks need to understand the game isn’t complete, which means; the lore isn’t complete, the biomes aren’t complete and truthfully until the language DJ is posted I’m not convinced the dialects/naming conventions are considered complete.

SBS has created a tool to help folks generate a name based on tribe choice which with the current state of development is the best they can do. So again to move forward which is in reality what is needed everything cannot be equal in the lore and such departments.

2/22/2018 9:57:07 PM #3

If you want to create a name based on tribal language, why wouldn't you use the name generator they said they'd be providing? If you want a specific name of your own choosing, you can do that too - there won't be any restrictions based on fidelity to tribal language.

2/22/2018 10:26:02 PM #4

It would be nice if they provided the name generator a day or two before the name reservation. So people can get an idea before hand.

2/23/2018 6:13:57 AM #5

Regarding the OP, it is a possibility. I suppose I'm somewhat of a contrarian, because the northern biomes seem a tad stale to me, simply because they are so well-known. I was thrilled when details of other biomes were published.

2/23/2018 11:32:17 AM #6

Posted By Kinsaeda at 10:26 PM - Thu Feb 22 2018

It would be nice if they provided the name generator a day or two before the name reservation. So people can get an idea before hand.

Pretty sure that is the plan, but even if it's not then i don't think it matters too much because either you have a idea of a name you want to call yourself, or your undecided. If your undecided you'll probably use the generator for inspiration, but if your decided on what you want, then early release of the name generator isn't going to effect your decision making process

2/23/2018 4:11:31 PM #7

One important point that these type of posts always gloss over is that you do not have to reserve a surname until you are ready. I believe surname selection is available up to and including Exposition.

There is no reasonable argument that should prevent the rest of us from selecting a surname.

2/23/2018 4:23:14 PM #8

Surname reservation is.... the reservation of a surname, in order to prevent others to use it while ensuring you can.

Surnames will come two ways, first one is non CoE lore related surname or lightly inspired ones. Those are the real surnames you want to reserve because those are the one at risk to be used by someone else. The second family of surnames are going to be the ones heavily inspired by CoE lore, among them the generated ones.

Sure some generated surnames might please you more than others, but the chances someone else actually get the same generated name only depends on the generator, if it is any good and i have high hopes it will be, it should generate quasi-unique names, limiting the chances that the same generation happen again.

So if you do not want to secure a non or low CoE lore related name, no need to wait, you generate a few surnames you like for each tribe, and later, when you'll actually select your tribe you'll have a few words to select from with really low chances someone else took them. And in the very unlikely event all of them have been taken, no big deal, you only need to generate more till you find a new one that pleases you.